The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Need help teaching my dad to play

Khailik
Khailik
Soul Shriven
My dad is a veteran Everquest and WoW player yet he can't seem to grasp even the simplest of things about the game lol. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of maybe some video instructional guides out there that he could watch that would teach him everything he needs to know. I'm helping him as much as I can but there isn't much I can do without actually being at his house to teach him.
  • Khailik
    Khailik
    Soul Shriven
    I feel I should add that while I say he is a veteran of games he's never been that great. He's just really slow at it. I've tried to teach him better ways to play but I've never really made an impact lol.
  • nimrod224
    nimrod224
    controller support for eso?
  • dungya
    dungya
    have him explore for a while then start him off at low lvl monsters as a ranged with some CC abilities that way he doesnt like freak out with 3 people attacking him at once haha
  • Raubrey
    Raubrey
    ✭✭✭
    dungya wrote: »
    have him explore for a while then start him off at low lvl monsters as a ranged with some CC abilities that way he doesnt like freak out with 3 people attacking him at once haha

I sometimes freak out sometimes when ambushed. haha

What about having him join a new-player, older-player, friendly guild?

Beyond that the best way to learn is to read, play and ask questions. F1 helps for quick information and Google really comes in handy. If he's motivated enough he should learn in due time or he may find it isn't his type of game.

The scope of information on the game as a whole can be overwhelming. Many people are learning the game and their characters. Try to have him focus on the very basics -- and then maybe work on learning things more specific to his class and playstyle (e.g. ranged vs. melee etc.).

I would avoid overloading on build theories and non-beginner combat videos (maybe take in a couple) as there is far too much conflicting information and is better utilized when one has a fair grasp of their skills.

It may take him longer to get where he wants to be in the game but if he has the patience and interest he should find he's progressing enough to hold his own eventually.
    Edited by Raubrey on April 6, 2014 4:46AM

Greybeards & Gals Founder
    greybeardsandgals.com
  • Khailik
    Khailik
    Soul Shriven
    But again does anyone know of any tutorial videos that he can watch to help him? I think that would be the best way. I've already sent him several guides and told him about the in game tutorial system. It took him 2 days to figure out how to get out of Coldharbour lol
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Check out the guide in my signature. I posted it last night and it might help him a lot.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Chalybos
    Chalybos
    ✭✭✭
    First, I'd have him remap his keys to correspond to whatever they were in EQ. I played EQ for a few years, and EQ2 from launch til about a year and a half ago, and it's very similar in regards to a lot of the combat except for the lack of auto-facing; I'd imagine that's probably one of the biggest issues he's having. That, and the whole "just one hotbar" thing.