Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Two-handed heavy swing is off center

Holycannoli
Holycannoli
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
At least for orcs it is.

I first noticed it back in beta and now that I rolled a two-handed orc again I'm noticing it hasn't been changed.

That right-to-left swing is so off center it frequently misses vs targets that don't move much. I swung at an enemy earlier and almost all those swings missed entirely unless I moved the camera to aim to the right of the target.

You can see exactly what I'm talking about in this video I recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3smWytYrEg

Notice how off that right-to-left swing is. It completely misses a guy sitting in a chair. The left-to-right swing is properly centered. It's the animation itself that's wrong; the whole body turns too far to the left.

And it's not just a visual problem, it affects aim. I have to aim to the right with that swing or there's a good chance it will miss. It's happened often enough in combat so far that I had to record a sample and post this thread.

I don't know if this is an orc-specific problem or a general two-handed problem, but if you use two-handed try doing some heavy swings and see if one of them is off center.

It's also not a problem in first person mode. Each swing is properly centered in first person.

• Kluzu
    Kluzu
    I'm almost positive this is only an animation bug. Targets have huge hit boxes, our attacks also operate in a 'cone' system. There isn't an actual detection for the weapon itself like in Chivalry.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like to think that but my two-handed heavy swings like to miss targets right in front of me. Not every swing and it almost feels random now which swings miss, but they do.

It happened again today trying to fight the boss in Ilessan Tower (trying because it was camped by bots). I could hit the boss just fine but some of my heavy swings would outright miss the red rooks in the area, both of us not moving or dodging or anything.
  • Kluzu
    Kluzu
    You should zoom your camera all the way out, the swings will be right on the dot every time. It's your camera perspective, not a screwed up animation. I even tested this for you, despite being ridiculous. It's working as intended, not missing at all.

What you're most likely experiencing is lag, or if the enemy is far above your level then skills have a chance to 'fail' to an extent. I assure you, it has nothing to do with the swings.
  • bantad87
    bantad87
    ✭✭✭
    I think it might just be missed attacks, occasionally I miss a swing with my sword/board, a spell misses, or my atronach drops from the sky and never summons. I think its a built in dodge/miss system.
  • Maximis_ESO
    Maximis_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either way, I'm not super happy with the 2 hand skill line. I feel that it has very few abilities that I would be happy to use. Uppercut is far too slow and has a counter productive effect of a knockdown and knockback. Its damage is as much as a heavy mouse attack for me with my current build and the only good abilities seem to be charge and reverse slash. Even reverse slash is very bad damage unless the target is already at the point where any move will kill them.