Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Potions/consumables are too hard to use during a fight

zaxthegreyb14_ESO
Congratulations to the devs and game designers on getting an amazing game built and shipped on schedule.

One of the issues I'm having is trying to use various potions while I'm in a fight.

The radial / quick menu is cumbersome.

Please make this easy fix:
- For those who like the quick menu, leave it as is.
- For everyone else, just add three more "hot bar" slots for consumables. They can be accessed by pressing 6, 7, and 8 at any time.

This single fix would improve the UI and make playing the game much simpler for many players.

Thank you!
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This probably should be elsewhere than the New Player Questions. That being said, it seems very likely that someone will make a potion add-on at some point that may help you.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    That's the thing...they don't want you to spam potions :P They basically want you to be able to use one type of potion for your next fight, and want you to have it at the ready, just like your skills. They want you to be prepared before heading into battle, not changing on the fly, sort of like a load out. Otherwise, they would have made it much easier to use.
  • myblackbox123
    myblackbox123
    ✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    This probably should be elsewhere than the New Player Questions. That being said, it seems very likely that someone will make a potion add-on at some point that may help you.

New Player Questions = General Forums.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For something like potions, it would seem that PvE would be a better spot. But yes, they should have a general discussion topic beyond New Player Questions. It is hard to find new folks having issues amongst all the whining/demanding in the topic.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the extra steps personally.

Would take you a few moments to slide a vial out of your pocket/holster/whatever, uncork it, and drink it down. That delay is simulated right now -- and the more you get used to it, the more prepared you'll be when you need it. Player skill in effect here.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are a pain to use. Not only does it take too long to switch between different consumables, but using the one on the top of the wheel takes too long and sometimes seems not to work at all. It doesn't feel like a delay to simulate actually drinking something (maybe with an animation?) it feels like lag.

Definitely a feature that could use some work.
  • Metella
    Metella
    ✭✭
    I haven't needed to/bothered to use any potions yet (I mean, I've died a fair few times, maybe if I'd used a potion it would have prevented it) but I think the buffs from freshly made food are awesome - 35 minutes of 42 extra health just from materials you can scavenge around town is not to be sniffed at, if I remember to take a couple of meals out with me, and eat before I go in a dungeon, it gives me enough of a boost that I can get through pretty much all the fights, even if by the skin of my teeth.

Am I right in thinking you can only have one provisions buff, or can you have e.g. a drink *and* a food item working at the same time? I know if you eat two foods that work on different attributes the second cancels the first out (which is fair enough, given they're so easy to make).
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes only one buff from what I seen and yeah the potions are working like intended, they DO want you to have to choose or use terrain to get distance and work out your next potion. I like it
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kind of agree...the only potions I use is healing in case I need a heal to save my life and I have it bound to my middle mouse button so it's easy that way.
  • Srikandi
    Srikandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »

For something like potions, it would seem that PvE would be a better spot. But yes, they should have a general discussion topic beyond New Player Questions. It is hard to find new folks having issues amongst all the whining/demanding in the topic.

But there's no general PvE section either. It's divided up by alliance and questline.

These forums seem to have been set up by somebody who's never used a forum :/
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can queue up one potion by putting it on top of your wheel. If you then press Q you use that potion.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is made on purpose that way. Console players won't have that many buttons. And I even appreciate it. You just have to decide on ONE consumable for the fight.
  • zaxthegreyb14_ESO
    I prefer the Skyrim approach where I can decide how to use my hot bar slots, weapon, spell or consumable.

The "you can only use one type of consumable" choice feels overly paternalistic from a game UI design standpoint.

I hope there are a host of UI mods for ESO like there have been for all previous Elder Scrolls games. I'm looking forward to the SkyUI equivalent.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the Skyrim approach where I can decide how to use my hot bar slots, weapon, spell or consumable.

The "you can only use one type of consumable" choice feels overly paternalistic from a game UI design standpoint.

I hope there are a host of UI mods for ESO like there have been for all previous Elder Scrolls games. I'm looking forward to the SkyUI equivalent.

There is no chance that any addon will display more than one potion in the ESO ui at one time. Now keybindable slots on the quick scroll to make a potion the active would make sense but I'm not even sure that's possible.
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    this game truly did retain two of the most painful things from other ES games, bag space and the woeful quickslot systems. We are playing on a PC with heaps of keys to choose from and they gave us this stupid console inspired system for taking a potion.
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    All too soon, your potions will be useless unless you make the yourself. They heal like 10% and the badguy you're fighting takes 25% per hit.. at this point.. it's not really important unless you have good pots and then you'll know how to fight and not need them.
  • YuccaPalm
    YuccaPalm
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda like the wheel. It adds a bit skill =)
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the potion wheel is poor design. Yes, we get that the game has to work on consoles. But that doesn't preclude the usage of PC tools on PCs. This is *not* the same as adding additional ability slots, as (in principle) you can dial up anything on your quick bar with the current setup. It's just forcing people into the equivalent of a nested menu to achieve the same goal.

Basically, an analogy would be if you were forced to access a wheel to use your 5 abilities; in principle this is the same as now, but in practice it would be really annoying to do.
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    I just wrote the whole system off and only use my current best health potions (the actual best, not the ones that restore 5 health points less for no discernable reason and so don't stack); selling off everything else frees up some precious inventory space too.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exarch wrote: »
    I just wrote the whole system off and only use my current best health potions (the actual best, not the ones that restore 5 health points less for no discernable reason and so don't stack); selling off everything else frees up some precious inventory space too.

Grats. Now you did not write the system off. Now you understood it.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes lets have a WoW actionbar, 55 slots on left side of screen, 67 on right side and another 111 on the bottom, but just to be sure add 657 more at the top.

Leave it as it is, if i want WoW ill go play WoW, this is ESO and its fine as it is, thank god.
  • OZGODUSA
    OZGODUSA
    Congratulations to the devs and game designers on getting an amazing game built and shipped on schedule.

One of the issues I'm having is trying to use various potions while I'm in a fight.

The radial / quick menu is cumbersome.

Please make this easy fix:
    - For those who like the quick menu, leave it as is.
    - For everyone else, just add three more "hot bar" slots for consumables. They can be accessed by pressing 6, 7, and 8 at any time.

This single fix would improve the UI and make playing the game much simpler for many players.

Thank you!
    Can't create more hotkeys because console users don't have more hotkeys. And this game will be shipping on the PS4 and Xbox 1 and I'm pretty sure they didn't add more buttons t their controllers.
    Edited by OZGODUSA on April 9, 2014 9:03AM