Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Question about NPC loot drops

dr4296b14a_ESO
I had a debate last night with a fellow guildie. Perhaps somebody can settle this definitively:

He was saying that when you're attacking an NPC and some stranger / player comes up and "gets in on your action" uninvited, that the loot drops are completely instanced for both people, so that person's "uninvited help" has zero effect on what loot drops for you.

I told him it sure seemed to me like every time somebody butted in on my action like that, I got a lot less loot out of the deal (typically, one lousy gold piece). So, I get very annoyed when somebody jumps in like that.

What's the word? Is NPC loot "completely instanced"? Do multiple players hitting a single PC each get the same loot as if each of them had hit that NPC on their own several minutes...or even days... apart?

Thanks!
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loot is instanced as long as the NPC doesn't reset. This includes crates/bags/etc., except for lockpickable chests.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the loot drops are completely instanced. You both get full experience for the kill and you each get your very own loot from it.

This also works with chests by the way. If you are close enough to a chest that is being picked for a long enough duration, ie you can't run up at the last 5 seconds, you will see the chest despawn and respawn open for you after they open it.