Maintenance for the week of October 21:
· Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 23,  6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 23,  6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Why no cast bar

saki
saki
✭✭✭
As title says, why enemies dont have cast bar like in any other mmo? OK I get it for mobs u dont need but I played banished cell and I have no clue when to interupt or when to dodge when boss is casting some spell.

Every single mmo have that. I feel like I am ripped off and this is just unfinished product.

Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games. I would be much better that zenimax tried to make better gameplay instead wroting those numerous pages of ingame books.
  • lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about monster and NPC cast bars, but I do care about my own cast bar.

    I find that I prefer instant cast spells because I get an immediate feedback from the game. With timed cast spells, at least in first person mode, it is harder to know if the game registered my request to cast the spell.
    PC North America since March 2014
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say NO to Crown Crates! You should be able to buy directly. Better yet, cosmetics should be in-game rewards!
    I collect free, unopened, virgin Crown Crates! 331, so far!

  • Rial
    Rial
    ✭✭✭
    saki wrote: »
    Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games.

    Except in this one. The community rose up and got the API severely reduced, rendering all cast bar addons impossible, among other things.
  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    Rial wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games.

    Except in this one. The community rose up and got the API severely reduced, rendering all cast bar addons impossible, among other things.

    Yea, in this game but really I think cast bar is essential for mmos. I simply dont see when to interrupt or to dodge when everyone is casting.

    Zenimax really in that part did very poor job.

    Got some feeling like I am still playing beta
    Edited by saki on April 5, 2014 1:57PM
  • lumaanb16_ESO
    No need for cast bar.. Just look for yellow/red rays from the mob, yellow = block (hold down right mouse button) red = push (hold right mouse button + klik left mouse button)
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    saki wrote: »
    Rial wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games.

    Except in this one. The community rose up and got the API severely reduced, rendering all cast bar addons impossible, among other things.

    Yea, in this game but really I think cast bar is essential for mmos. I simply dont see when to interrupt or to dodge when everyone is casting.

    Zenimax really in that part did very poor job.

    Got some feeling like I am still playing beta

    Guild Wars 2 has no cast bars for enemies, neither does this. No Elder Scrolls game has had cast bars.

    Stop trying to turn a game that feels and plays somewhat like a TES game into a WoW cookie cutter.

    The enemies give visual tells when they are casting or doing power attacks, learn to read them.

    The tells here are at least easier to read than GW2.

  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    Are those visuals as lumaanb16 mentioned?
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    saki wrote: »
    Are those visuals as lumaanb16 mentioned?

    Yes. if the mob has red sparks coming off them, they're casting a spell that can be interrupted by a bash. If they have yellow sparks coming off them they're preparing a power attack that should be blocked. Red fields on the ground are aoes that you should dodge out of or just move out of.
  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thx but there is a option under gameplay called combat cues and its greyed out and cant be turned on. Is that same on your client?
  • Enigma1985
    Enigma1985
    ✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 has no cast bars for enemies, neither does this. No Elder Scrolls game has had cast bars.

    Stop trying to turn a game that feels and plays somewhat like a TES game into a WoW cookie cutter.

    The enemies give visual tells when they are casting or doing power attacks, learn to read them.

    The tells here are at least easier to read than GW2.

    Quoted for truth.

    At my core I'm still a WoW player but I'm also a big Elder Scrolls fan. Yet I'm not in here crying for the game to be like everyone else. When I want WoW's gameplay and story I'll go play that. In the meantime since I want something different I'll play this.

    Not trying to be a jerk or a troll but you want an answer on why there's no cast bar? Ok.....they don't want you to be mindless.

    Bottom line? Get better, learn to recognize enemy movement/tells and stop asking for ESO to be like everyone else. Copying all the other WoW clones on the market is a sure way to get this game to fail IMO.

  • Elaithe
    Elaithe
    ✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Rial wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games.

    Except in this one. The community rose up and got the API severely reduced, rendering all cast bar addons impossible, among other things.

    Yea, in this game but really I think cast bar is essential for mmos. I simply dont see when to interrupt or to dodge when everyone is casting.

    Zenimax really in that part did very poor job.

    Got some feeling like I am still playing beta

    Guild Wars 2 has no cast bars for enemies, neither does this. No Elder Scrolls game has had cast bars.

    Stop trying to turn a game that feels and plays somewhat like a TES game into a WoW cookie cutter.

    The enemies give visual tells when they are casting or doing power attacks, learn to read them.

    The tells here are at least easier to read than GW2.

    And you shouldn't have a cast bar for your own spells because? Adding a cast bar for yourself doesn't make it a WoW clone, it just makes it a BASIC UI for an MMO which this game is.

  • Auric_ESO
    Auric_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elaithe wrote: »
    Arato wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Rial wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games.

    Except in this one. The community rose up and got the API severely reduced, rendering all cast bar addons impossible, among other things.

    Yea, in this game but really I think cast bar is essential for mmos. I simply dont see when to interrupt or to dodge when everyone is casting.

    Zenimax really in that part did very poor job.

    Got some feeling like I am still playing beta

    Guild Wars 2 has no cast bars for enemies, neither does this. No Elder Scrolls game has had cast bars.

    Stop trying to turn a game that feels and plays somewhat like a TES game into a WoW cookie cutter.

    The enemies give visual tells when they are casting or doing power attacks, learn to read them.

    The tells here are at least easier to read than GW2.

    And you shouldn't have a cast bar for your own spells because? Adding a cast bar for yourself doesn't make it a WoW clone, it just makes it a BASIC UI for an MMO which this game is.

    YOU say its needed. Zenimax's design philosophy was to try and get people to watch the game and play the screen not the bars. They were trying to avoid that as much as possible.
    "The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." Morihei Ueshiba
  • lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play first person and many of the cues are easier to see in third person than in first person. Of course, any clues in my own behavior, unless it is right in front of my face, are lost in first person.

    I am not saying I want cast bars, but I like first person and grew up in first person. Many of the third person games I have played I have abandoned. If they are going to use visual cues, I want them plainly evident for first person players, too.
    PC North America since March 2014
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say NO to Crown Crates! You should be able to buy directly. Better yet, cosmetics should be in-game rewards!
    I collect free, unopened, virgin Crown Crates! 331, so far!

  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    First person was a later add-on; beta was more or less third person for a while.
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭
    Rial wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games.

    Except in this one. The community rose up and got the API severely reduced, rendering all cast bar addons impossible, among other things.

    And this is really sad... :'(
  • Pumpkin
    Pumpkin
    You can always turn combat tips (dunno how the exact description is) on in your gameplay settings, so you'll get a hint on the bottom of the screen above your ability bar when to block or interrupt an attack.

    I too played wow for 6 or 7 years (never played a TES title before) and got used to castbars. I quickly got used to have none though too. Same goes for the missing minimap, buffs and my so loved mouse hovering over unit frames to heal with mouse-over macros. Gone, but not missed after getting used to it. Frankly, it's even better than before, making combat and dungeons more intense.

    Elder Scrolls Online is an MMO, yes, but not the "typical" but rather a very innovative one. And I'm very thankful for that.
    Edited by Pumpkin on April 8, 2014 7:45AM
  • prabab
    prabab
    Please, implement casting bars for the player, even if they're optional. I understand that you can hear your spell is being casted, but the animation isn't very apparent and the sound doesn't really help people with hearing problems.

    Casting bars are really needed for handicapped players and I really hope that Zenimax is going to bring them back.
    Edited by prabab on April 12, 2014 3:00PM
  • Kodiak
    Kodiak
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no cast bars because someone made a sensational video about a macro that used cast bars and so there was a ton of fake outrage over them claiming THAT would allow for bots so they removed it.

    So now here we are, no cast bars, and there's still bots regardless because the devs placated ignorant outrage.
  • brendeninzanaub17_ESO
    I play first person and many of the cues are easier to see in third person than in first person. Of course, any clues in my own behavior, unless it is right in front of my face, are lost in first person.

    I am not saying I want cast bars, but I like first person and grew up in first person. Many of the third person games I have played I have abandoned. If they are going to use visual cues, I want them plainly evident for first person players, too.

    First person was a feature that was only added because Elder Scrolls fans demanded that it was needed to feel more like an Elder Scrolls game. The game was designed to be played in 3rd person because one of the biggest elements of any MMO is that you must be aware of what is going on all around you and that is just not possible in 1st person. I understand that some people just want to play in 1st person but the fact of the matter is that the game honestly never was designed to be played in that way.
    Eternal Defiance
  • Magischzwei
    Magischzwei
    ✭✭✭
    This is an MMO, not a skyrim single player game.

    Certain key features like name plates, cast bars, minimap, chat bubbles and other convenience stuff should be obvious to be added.

    Lets face it, with the demographic they are targeting 95% only click bookshelves for the skill-ups, skip all quest dialogue, read no lore books and give very few *** about graphics.

    If you don't want to pander to these people, fine. Game will become f2p soon enough without the masses. If you do, start making this into an actual mmo.
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is a game that actually offers a decent challenge and compells me to stay observant, exactly because of the lack of usual MMO conveniences.

    Conveniences are convenient, not necessary. The lack thereof is an intended design to challenge the players. Please stop begging them to cater you with easymode gaming and adjust to the challenges presented to you.
  • Pumpkin
    Pumpkin
    ESO is a game that actually offers a decent challenge and compells me to stay observant, exactly because of the lack of usual MMO conveniences.

    Conveniences are convenient, not necessary. The lack thereof is an intended design to challenge the players. Please stop begging them to cater you with easymode gaming and adjust to the challenges presented to you.
    This!

  • claudekennilol
    claudekennilol
    ✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Rial wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    Every time comunity have to step up and make addons to polish bethesda games.

    Except in this one. The community rose up and got the API severely reduced, rendering all cast bar addons impossible, among other things.

    Yea, in this game but really I think cast bar is essential for mmos. I simply dont see when to interrupt or to dodge when everyone is casting.

    Zenimax really in that part did very poor job.

    Got some feeling like I am still playing beta

    Guild Wars 2 has no cast bars for enemies, neither does this. No Elder Scrolls game has had cast bars.

    Stop trying to turn a game that feels and plays somewhat like a TES game into a WoW cookie cutter.

    The enemies give visual tells when they are casting or doing power attacks, learn to read them.

    The tells here are at least easier to read than GW2.

    We said MMOs. I don't care what the masses try to say, GW2 can't be considered a standard MMO and shouldn't be compared to them as such.
  • Pumpkin
    Pumpkin
    How is GW2 not an MMO?? And who defines what a "standard" MMO is?
    Edited by Pumpkin on April 15, 2014 12:11PM
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    "A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously."

    Wikipedia.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    saki wrote: »
    As title says, why enemies dont have cast bar like in any other mmo? OK I get it for mobs u dont need but I played banished cell and I have no clue when to interupt or when to dodge when boss is casting some spell.

    Yeah, it's certainly tough to see those red or white spikes radiating from the mob... or that big windup motion... or that big red circle or cone or whatever... very tough. You shouldn't actually need to look at the screen, should you? lol

  • Vladish
    Vladish
    ✭✭
    Srugzal wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    As title says, why enemies dont have cast bar like in any other mmo? OK I get it for mobs u dont need but I played banished cell and I have no clue when to interupt or when to dodge when boss is casting some spell.

    Yeah, it's certainly tough to see those red or white spikes radiating from the mob... or that big windup motion... or that big red circle or cone or whatever... very tough. You shouldn't actually need to look at the screen, should you? lol

    Maybe it's their first mmo and they are too excited to keep their squeeky omg noises down and to keep their eyes open? ;D

    I like how people go for... like every other mmo... if I wanted to play every other mmo, I would have done so. Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean it's requirement or necessity. Having a game depend on visual cues rather than "the bar is up, click x to interrupt, rinse and repeat", is refreshing to me. Having the bars optional... possibility, but they are in no way required in this game. The only real reason for this complain I would see, is for hardcore pvpers that aren't familiar with player-based cues, otherwise it's unnecessary, just pay attention.
  • Cydone
    Cydone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kodiak wrote: »
    There's no cast bars because someone made a sensational video about a macro that used cast bars and so there was a ton of fake outrage over them claiming THAT would allow for bots so they removed it.

    So now here we are, no cast bars, and there's still bots regardless because the devs placated ignorant outrage.
    QFT
  • Cydone
    Cydone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Srugzal wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    As title says, why enemies dont have cast bar like in any other mmo? OK I get it for mobs u dont need but I played banished cell and I have no clue when to interupt or when to dodge when boss is casting some spell.

    Yeah, it's certainly tough to see those red or white spikes radiating from the mob... or that big windup motion... or that big red circle or cone or whatever... very tough. You shouldn't actually need to look at the screen, should you? lol

    Try seeing anything on the ground when fighting the bosses in The Banished Cells Dungeon. Would love to see what xray vision you are using to see that considering at least 2 of the bosses throw fire ALL over the ground that never goes away.
  • Cydone
    Cydone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vladish wrote: »
    Srugzal wrote: »
    saki wrote: »
    As title says, why enemies dont have cast bar like in any other mmo? OK I get it for mobs u dont need but I played banished cell and I have no clue when to interupt or when to dodge when boss is casting some spell.

    Yeah, it's certainly tough to see those red or white spikes radiating from the mob... or that big windup motion... or that big red circle or cone or whatever... very tough. You shouldn't actually need to look at the screen, should you? lol

    Maybe it's their first mmo and they are too excited to keep their squeeky omg noises down and to keep their eyes open? ;D

    I like how people go for... like every other mmo... if I wanted to play every other mmo, I would have done so. Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean it's requirement or necessity. Having a game depend on visual cues rather than "the bar is up, click x to interrupt, rinse and repeat", is refreshing to me. Having the bars optional... possibility, but they are in no way required in this game. The only real reason for this complain I would see, is for hardcore pvpers that aren't familiar with player-based cues, otherwise it's unnecessary, just pay attention.


    Tell me, how are we supposed to see these player based queues in 100 vs 100 siege combat?? Or when the servers are lagging because of those battles going on, the server WON'T show these queues even when fighting a smaller battle while the larger one is going on, on the complete other side of the map.
  • Holy_Atheist
    "A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously."

    Wikipedia.

    and what exactly GW2 missing?

    btw your wiki say:
    Guild Wars 2 is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by ArenaNet and published by NCsoft.
    Edited by Holy_Atheist on April 15, 2014 7:24PM
Sign In or Register to comment.