Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dual Wield. Nightblade. Weapon choice: Does it matter?

GrimCyclone
GrimCyclone
✭✭✭✭✭
So, at the moment I am a khajiit nightblade that uses two swords. I started with two daggers, but switched to swords for a while just for fun. I noticed the damage rating is the same too.

My question is, when you dual wield, are there any optimal weapon choices for certain types of battles or battles in general? Or is the weapon choice purely aesthetic? My khajiit likes his swords better than his knives, but I told him that later on he might find the knives better suited for stealthy activities. He doesn't seem to want to part with his swords though.

I chose the siphoning line at the moment and have not unlocked any abilities for dual wield. I'm not exactly sure how my guy is going to develop, but I'm making him as soloable as possible right now without having to be a pure tank in heavy armor. The assassin line seemed more deadly, but siphoning seemed more survivable.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

• Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    I quite like a Nightblade using Siphoning together with Destruction and Restoration staff skills. Nice damage to combine with the Siphon skill whichever staff I equip and of course there are the Resto staff heal skills too, which helps me to stay alive in a bigger melee.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using dual daggers when I can, but I'm not sure there's any tangible benefit. It may just be in my mind, but it feels like my attacks are a little faster.
    ----
    Murray?
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    I think the dual wield works for all one handed weapons being dual wielded. So no matter if it's two swords, daggers, axes, maces, or whatever that means the same output. I am not however certain on weapon speeds since the game doesn't show how long it takes to perform one light hit. I do however think daggers are faster because they seem to strike very fast while hitting with anything else in light attack seems slower.
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only mechanical difference at least as far as the tooltips are concerned, is some of the passive skills in the dual-wield tree.

The last skill (I think) gives several DIFFERENT bonuses based on the weapon type used. IIRC, axes cause bleeds, daggers get increased crit chance, swords do more base damage, and maces ignore a certain amount of armor.

this is ONLY, I assume, when you have skill points in that skill. Without, as far as I know, all you get is damage. So, there's that.
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    I think daggers provide +crit, axes for chance of bleeding and maces/swords flat + dmg? Correct me if Iam wrong
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    So, at the moment I am a khajiit nightblade that uses two swords. I started with two daggers, but switched to swords for a while just for fun. I noticed the damage rating is the same too.

My question is, when you dual wield, are there any optimal weapon choices for certain types of battles or battles in general? Or is the weapon choice purely aesthetic? My khajiit likes his swords better than his knives, but I told him that later on he might find the knives better suited for stealthy activities. He doesn't seem to want to part with his swords though.

I chose the siphoning line at the moment and have not unlocked any abilities for dual wield. I'm not exactly sure how my guy is going to develop, but I'm making him as soloable as possible right now without having to be a pure tank in heavy armor. The assassin line seemed more deadly, but siphoning seemed more survivable.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Swords do more damage once you unlock the end passive skill.
    Maces will ignore armour
    Axes will cause bleed effects
    Daggers have a higher critical hit rating and damage. Along with a faster swing time.
    These effects are hidden from the description view of the weapons.

• seano509b14a_ESO
    Honestly daggers and swords will be your friend running that class and weapon choice.

Also you dont have to run just 1 of the 3 inner specs. This is what I use and it works prefect for me for that solo gameplay of tank and spank idea.

Ambush III (Assassination Ability)
    Swallow Soul III (Siphoning Ability) Great self heal
    Rapid Strikes III (Dual Wield)
    Blood Craze III (Dual Wield) Great self heal
    *Whirlwind III (Dual Wield) only when fighting more than 1 mob if it is needed*
    **Throw in some regular mouse attacks to not drain mana and stam pools**
    Edited by seano509b14a_ESO on April 7, 2014 9:41AM
    -In thy name of Akatosh!-
  • OZGODUSA
    OZGODUSA
    I don't think we can do any type of WoW min maxing until you get to max level, and even then probably. With no combat log nobody will really know other than anecdotally looking at the damage you do while using different weapons, with a sample size of 1 or 2. It probably doesn't matter anyway.
  • Ri_Dariit
    Ri_Dariit
    ✭✭✭
    Delte wrote: »
    Maces will ignore armour
    Daggers have a higher critical hit rating and damage. Along with a faster swing time.
    Does @Delte has any source to confirm this? This one wants to believe, but make sure it's credible. M'aiq makes good stories, but that Khajiit has his surname as credential.
    Fusozay Var VarJaji kor nirni. Ri'Dariit ahnurr shir Gouranga an vasa rid-t'har.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    Delte wrote: »
    Maces will ignore armour
    Does @Delte has any source to confirm this? This one wants to believe, but make sure it's credible. M'aiq makes good stories, but that Khajiit has his surname as credential.

[Passive] Twin Blade and Blunt – While dual wielding, axes have a chance to inflict a bleed damage over time effect, maces deal a percentage of bonus damage against heavily armored targets, swords deal a flat percentage more damage, and daggers have increased critical strike chance

Source
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/weapons/ Like I said it is hidden in the weapons descriptions, and is tied to the skills.