The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lower FPS than expected

Trivioth
Trivioth
Hey all,

First off, loving the game. I'm posting because my FPS isn't quite what I expected I'd be receiving. Here are my specs:

GTX 760GT, 4 GB DDR5
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz
8 GB's of Viper DDR3 RAM

I'm currently on Ultra, which this card should be more than capable of handling. I'm seeing between 28-35 FPS in populated cities and 45-50 FPS outdoors. Running the most recent graphics drivers. I could use any and all help to get to the bottom of this.
  • Highway
    Highway
    Hello!

Could you tell me what kind of motherboard you have?
    possibly add a dxdiag as well?

Also, do you have any other programs running whilst ESO is launched and being played? this will result your fps, unless you have a very high end computer

Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    At work right now but I can provide a dxdiag once I get home, same with the motherboard specs. And, yes, I do run other programs while in ESO. Namely Firefox, Steam, AIM, and Fraps.
    Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    And closing these really didn't alter performance much if at all.
    Options
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its over 34 fps your eye will never tell the difference
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, i'm getting about double your numbers. I have SLI turned off and am running just one of my GTX 780s. ~60fps in cities, ~100+fps outdoors ...
    Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    Not sure how much of a step up the 780 is over the 760..
    Options
  • ymn_ars
    ymn_ars
    yeah same for me too but its expected for me i guess ( 4gbram amd hd6850 ) but ur specs are absolutely better it must be really annoying.
    Edited by ymn_ars on April 4, 2014 10:49PM
    Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    Yeah, just a bit. I know my CPU is a bit older now and needs an upgrade but it still feels like I'm under performing for what I have.
    Options
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    something weird with those fps numbers. I get more with gtx660 and playing fullHD and ultra-settings. Try a clean driver re-install?
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
    Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    Tried it. I've done the clean install option in new driver install.
    Options
  • Ziz
    Ziz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It runs like *** on the high end. They don't even have true full screen mode. It's been a complaint for months. It doesn't effect immersion so they don't care.
    Options
  • FlatFeet
    FlatFeet
    ✭✭✭
    Same issues with a GTX Titan. Basically the GPU and CPU sit at about 50% utilization max, and I get about 40 - 50 fps in cities with everything on Ultra.

I run a 120hz monitor too, so my ideal frame rate is 120.

Here is my setup:

Intel core i7 @4.6ghz
    2x SSD in Raid 0
    8gb DDR3 1600
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

My graphics card is connected to my monitor through dual link DVI cable.

Basically, my computer is a monster and I can get 120fps in pretty much every modern came at 1920x1080 @ 120hz.

I have attached my dxdiag (it doesn't show my actual CPU clock speed of 4.6ghz.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Options
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    Hows the temperatures of your CPU and GPU while playing? Thinking about some thermal throttling, if the temps go too high? And how does the usage% look on both while in game?
    Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    Belrim,

The temperatures are fine. My GPU rarely exceeds 68 under full load. My CPU's are way cool, under load they operate at around 38-40. I do not believe it's heating.

The GPU bounces aroun in terms of usage %, generally it's between 50-60%. The CPU is a little more difficult to monitor, not sure how to accurately do that. Tabbing in and out puts it around 60% usage or so.
    Options
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    Allrighty, then the temperatures are not the problem for sure.
    Options
  • FlatFeet
    FlatFeet
    ✭✭✭
    Belrim wrote: »
    Hows the temperatures of your CPU and GPU while playing? Thinking about some thermal throttling, if the temps go too high? And how does the usage% look on both while in game?

Max temp I reach with my GPU is 71c while playing, only sitting at max 50% usage on my GPU too.
    Options
  • FlatFeet
    FlatFeet
    ✭✭✭
    Just to follow up, the only time my GPU runs at over 50 - 60% utilization is on the character select screen, if that helps at all.
    Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    Any other suggestions?
    Options
  • mrjenkies256ub17_ESO

Not sure if serious...

I've heard the "you cant see above 60 fps" argument before, however I use a 144hz monitor and there is a night and day difference between 60 fps and 144 fps.

So you can most certainly tell the difference between 34 and 60 fps.

Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    There's a large difference, which is why I'd like to get up to 60 FPS where I belong. :P
    Options
  • Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭

Someone will always say that, but it's such utter nonsense.
    Pelarius, Imperial Dragonknight of the Aldmeri Dominion.
    Options
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    Highway wrote: »
    Hello!

Could you tell me what kind of motherboard you have?
    possibly add a dxdiag as well?

Also, do you have any other programs running whilst ESO is launched and being played? this will result your fps, unless you have a very high end computer

Alright. My motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970 and my dxdiag is attached.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Hi @Trivioth ,

FPS problems can be tricky in finding the root cause of why you might not be getting the best performance. There are a few other things you can try and see if they help bump up that FPS number.
    • Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete which will open the Windows Task Manager.
    • Go to the Processes tab.
    • Find "eso.exe" in the list of running program.
    • Right click, go to Set Priority and change to High.

If that doesn't make a difference, next go to your UserSettings.txt file and try making these changes.
    • Go to your "My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online/Live" folder
    • Open the file "UserSettings.txt" in Notepad
    • Find the line SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"
    • First try changing "D3D11" to "D3D9" and test out your FPS
    • You can also try changing "D3D11" to "OpenGL" and seeing what results you get.

One more thing is to rule out some kind of corruption in the game files. Try a repair by clicking Game Option on top of the News section and selecting repair.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Trivioth
    Trivioth
    Changing that particular line in the UserSettings.txt didn't help, actually seemed to make it worse. There also wasn't any corruption in the game files.
    Edited by Trivioth on April 5, 2014 5:52AM
    Options
  • Biezenw22eb17_ESO
    having the same fps dips in the game with a system that should crush this game, 40-60 fps cities, 60 fps outdoors, 30!-60 fps in cyrodill.

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
    -GTX titan
    -i7- 3970X @3.5GHz (stock)
    -32 GB ram
    -500 GB SSD
    - rampage extreme IV motherboard
    - nvidia panel on default global values (no extra influences for the game)
    - 1920 x 1080 60hz monitor dvi-connection.
    Options
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    having the same fps dips in the game with a system that should crush this game, 40-60 fps cities, 60 fps outdoors, 30!-60 fps in cyrodill.

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
    -GTX titan
    -i7- 3970X @3.5GHz (stock)
    -32 GB ram
    -500 GB SSD
    - rampage extreme IV motherboard
    - nvidia panel on default global values (no extra influences for the game)
    - 1920 x 1080 60hz monitor dvi-connection.

The general consensus is that the Nvidia drivers are having some issues with ESO, and that Nvidia is preparing a driver update now with ESO optimizations that should improve things. You're getting basically the exact same performance I am. Also, apparently the fullscreen/windowed mode is causing some performance issues, and that the true fullscreen mode that is being prepared will also help.

i7-4770k (stock speed)
    16GB RAM
    GTX 780ti (EVGA SC version)
    1920x1080
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 5, 2014 6:38AM
    Options