The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please add controller functionality

Ragnar_Lodbrok
Ragnar_Lodbrok
✭✭✭✭✭
I know it has to be possible to get controller support from you guys, you are releasing it on consoles. So will it be an option when you do release the console version?
  • adavskob14_ESO
    I agree 100%. There are so many armchair gamers out there now that it's pretty ridiculous that it's not already supported.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Hi @Ragnar_Lodbrok ,

The PC/Mac control scheme is optimized for keyboard and mouse. We currently have no information on whether there are plans to change this or not. However, any of a number of commercially available emulators will allow you to use a controller. ESO does not officially support controllers for PC and Mac though.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best move I ever made playing Skyrim was getting an Xbox controller for the computer. I find it staggering that there's no controller support for ESOL (especially when console based versions will be using controllers); this game is crying out for a controller!
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • Fenbrae
    Fenbrae
    ✭✭✭
    I have always wondered why people buy a PC game just to play it with a controller.
    If people want to play it with a controller, they should pick up the console version. Easy as that.
    Currently playing:
    Swims-In-Sap - CP200+ - Argonian Templar

I like my healing like i like my characters: generic
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fenbrae wrote: »
    I have always wondered why people buy a PC game just to play it with a controller.
    If people want to play it with a controller, they should pick up the console version. Easy as that.

What does it matter to you, how I want to interface with my pc?
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each to their own I suppose, but I use a mouse and keyboard extensively daily (at work and at home) and I'm a proficient touch typist; I still prefer to use a game controller to gaming.

Ragnar_Lodbrok, I've just invested a £5.99 ($10) in XPadder and it works brilliantly (I've set things up as close to Skyrim as possible); I'll be using this until/if we get proper controller functionality added to ESOL.
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    XPadder isn't quite as good as first though (although still not bad) but isn't as crisp as the mouse; hopefully proper controller support will be added.
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    Just program it yourself...I did lol. I have my own setup with an xbox 360 controller and it plays great. Just need to find a good emulator...there are other programs other than x padder.
    Edited by Tweek on April 19, 2014 9:04AM
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭

I love gamepad support for PC games.

There are a lot of people that don't have ergonomic gaming setups for their respective bodies. Their table and desk height require that they reach at an incline of three or more degrees. They may reach out for their mouse past the number pad, but if they don't use the numpad, then they may be extending their arm just a little bit more. A lot of folks tend to maintain contact pressure with their table or wrist rests while using their computer and exacerbate it further with bling/watches. If one feels any discomfort or fatigue in their hands or shoulders after an hour or two of gaming / computer use, any of the above factors could play a role. And if one has a desk oriented job where they use the computer most of the day and then PC game on a similar setup, the issues will add up sooner.

As folks get older and do this for years, their bodies don't bounce back like they used to. Hands start hurting all day. Right shoulder maybe in pain (assuming right mouse). And depending on what you already have available, a decent keyboard/mouse setup may cost around $400, but still using similar muscles, just in a neutral posture. (in hindsight $400 is nothing compared to medical bill and physical therapy).

And so to give my ol' body a break from work, I use a gamepad that fits my hands during my leisure. Different set of muscles. Gives my wrists and shoulders some recovery time when I don't always have access to an ergo setup in an office. And Steam just keeps having dem discounts on console games that the horsepower of the PC makes wonderful.

e.g. Skyrim installed on Xbox 360 hard drive has loading times upward to 20 seconds for just entering my house in White Run. PC is a second, maybe two at most. About a few seconds to load a save. And if the game crashes/freezes, I'm back in under a minute instead of maybe three to four minutes. After 100+ hours, those loading time add up and I still don't get the potentially smooth or mod flexible experience the PC has to offer. I'm so thankful that there was a gamepad friendly UI for PC Skyrim.

And I'm hoping once the console versions of ESO release, an option for built in gamepad support will be revisited. Anyhew, hope that helps put some perspective on one view of gamepad users on PC.
    Edited by Celless on April 19, 2014 1:26PM
  • misterme2011
    misterme2011
    ✭✭
    I'm using xpadder and it works decently. The keyboard was difficult because I play on my TV from the couch in a darkened room. I'm not sure if I can get a wireless keyboard/trackball keyboard combo with slightly lit keys so I can find them in the dark

A controller works much better in the dark I find, but I have to switch to a a keyboard anyway for some things - especially the group/social functionality. But switching and using a keyboard in the dark is frustrating so I don't group much - mostly just play solo.
  • ksaggies04ub17_ESO2
    Has anyone tried ESO with xpadder on the NVidia Shield? I've been thinking about getting a Shield for awhile. If this works well - this would be the final push for me to get it.
  • deheartb14_ESO
    Why do people want game-pad support for a PC MMO? Simple, its practically designed for the game-pad, proof is the fact that it is also for the PS4 and XBox one, which are exclusively game-pad controlled.

I personally think that it is a major design flaw that they don't have game-pad support on the PC, considering how few spells you actually use at a time.
    This is my Signature, but not really because I didn't sign it with a pen and its not my name.
  • cbeng
    cbeng
    Soul Shriven
    On my PC, Pinnacle Game Profiler works great with ESO.

Native controller support would be great though
  • sociald100ub17_ESO

What does it matter to you, how I want to interface with my pc?

I don't think it matters to him at all, nor to me, I believe he was just suggesting a logical way for you to be able to use a controller.