Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Not enough mana

ArcheKnight
ArcheKnight
✭✭✭
I'm a lvl 9 dual wielding nightblade and I have major mana issues. I have put a few points into it, but I still have to wait between each kill to use my skill combo and it seems to slow the game down. My question is, does this improve as you level or does it just seem to stay the same? How have others dealt with this?
  • sadhi
    sadhi
    ✭✭
    it depends mostly on your armor/jewelry enchantments, make sure you have enough mana/health/stamina boosts in them this mostly does the trick and of course spend your ap wisely
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well....first off...in this MMO, you don't get any "mana". You get MAGICKA.

So, that solves your problem right there.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as mentioned, maybe you need more enchantments/buffs that focus on magicka. However, I'm also betting that you're only using Nightblade skills on your hotbar, and that's probably your big issue. You want to have at least 1 or 2 weapon skills there to use when you're out of magicka but sitting pretty on a full green bar of stamina. You can't rely on just one type of damage dealer.
    ----
    Murray?
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well....first off...in this MMO, you don't get any "mana". You get MAGICKA.

So, that solves your problem right there.
    I love it... you get an awesome sticker!

There is no mana in TES.

OT : I think there's too much magicka. I mean that in the sense you automatically get an increase of 20 points every time you level. That... I have a problem with. We should have all of the points to distribute as we see fit.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭
    I just keep running out of MANA though... I just don't have enough MANA... MANA... MANA... lol magicka. w/e...

Thanks for the tips. As a lvl 10 with only enough money to slowly keep upgrading the bank slots... I mean I have everything from woodsmen, smithing, clothing, enchanting, alchemy, provisioning, and all of the stuff from the imp edition clogging my inventory. I can't afford to NOT upgrade my inventory spaces. That and the fact that the one crafting item that I just don't have a lot of is rawhide; what I need for medium armor x_x. Level 10 just doesn't have a lot of decent enchants (besides the fact that I NEVER get armor specific runes... EVER!)
  • booliemantin
    I recommend cross training your armor and put on 2-3 pieces of light armor. I did that with my heavy armor templar and I don't have any mana problems after skilling that for a level or two
  • Danarchist
    Danarchist
    ✭✭
    This is a consistent issue for everyone to be honest. I followed the suggestion of putting every point into health until I realized I could live through most anything but it took me a year to kill a damn critter. Use a couple pieces of cloth and spend a skill point or 3 on mana regen lines and put a few points in mana. The first few rings I found were mana regen as well.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danarchist wrote: »
    This is a consistent issue for everyone to be honest. I followed the suggestion of putting every point into health until I realized I could live through most anything but it took me a year to kill a damn critter. Use a couple pieces of cloth and spend a skill point or 3 on mana regen lines and put a few points in mana. The first few rings I found were mana regen as well.

Please don't speak for everyone.

If you put all your points into health, why are you surprised that your magicka was always running out? And why not use stamina-based abilities to fill the gaps when your magicka is regenerating?

This is only an issue if you're gearing against your own playstyle.
    ----
    Murray?
  • ahstin2001nub18_ESO
    since late in the beta, i have found that NOT spending your points (attributes or skill points) until you know for sure what you need, is best. sometimes i would have about 3 points in my pocket, but when i came across a situation that, required magicka/stamina/health i would spend one point at a time to fix it the problem. doing this i can take 1-2 mobs 8-10 levels higher than me, and not do too bad. dont neglect the passives either, they can sometimes help out.
    I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this game you are not supposed to spam your rotations. It's not like in other MMOs where you are limited by cooldowns. In ESO magicka/stamina limitation is your cooldown.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the joy ( rage? ) of combat in ESO is ... resource management!!

If all of your slotted skills require Magicka, make sure you're stats and armor boost that resource. Try mixing up your skills abilities between ones that use Magicka and Stamina.

You have to find a balance between regular heavy/light attacks and special abilities. With the variety of armor and weapon combinations this will be a hit-and-miss / try-it-and-see evolution.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips. I might try to mix up my medium armor with some light armor. I'm only worried that I might lose some of my critical hit values that come from my medium armor. I suppose I will miss my quick kills, but I'm not sure how survivable I will be as a small group of enemies under my level can sometimes spell certain doom for me.
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Once you get into your twenties, your magicka shouldn't be much of a problem. Craft/buy max magicka food if you don't have it, it really makes a huge difference.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as mentioned, maybe you need more enchantments/buffs that focus on magicka. However, I'm also betting that you're only using Nightblade skills on your hotbar, and that's probably your big issue. You want to have at least 1 or 2 weapon skills there to use when you're out of magicka but sitting pretty on a full green bar of stamina. You can't rely on just one type of damage dealer.

Yea, I have found this is key for every class combo I have tried, I actually try to keep it 3 and 2 (3 magica skills and 2 Stamina skill or visa versa depending on build.).
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    At OP: The integration of weapons skills into the hotbar is essential to managing resources. Also, you might want to think about how you're going to play. Are you going to be a mage or a dual wielding DPS? I focus on the latter; someone tonight explained they were doing the former. Both in the nightblade class - that's the "beauty" of system.

If you want some advice on dual-wielding: I've created 4 characters, all dual-wielding, in four different races and with every one (Breton, Dark Elf, Wood Elf, Khajiit) I've found the game quite easy. I use these five skills:

Dual-Wielding:
    Twin Slashes
    Flurry

Nightblade:
    Strife - Siphoning
    Agony - Siphoning
    Assassin's Blade - Assassination

To level 10, I've never run out of magicka. I do buff myself in stamina, though, because I rely heavily upon Twin Slashes and it's later morph Blood Craze. I run a sequence like this:

Strife (from a distance), TW, TW, and Strife or AB for the kill. Sometimes I'll throw Flurry in at the end if the enemy is not dead yet.

I hope this helps.
    Edited by MaxBat on April 7, 2014 5:07AM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't see, but are you using heavy/medium armor?

Light armor gives HUGE bonuses to magicka efficiency (or mana, its okay to call it mana, don't let the grammar nazis bring you down).

Sorcerer also gets an innate boost to magicka or MANA (yes, feel the pain, feeeeel the pain!).
    [beta_group_85b_9]