Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Nightbland Assassination passive tooltip confusion

Zewks
Zewks
✭✭✭
So ive been trying to figure this out for the past week.

All of the passive NB Assassination abilities state in CAPS:
"WHILE USING ASSASSINATION ABILITIES"

which seems pretty clear. The passives will work if you are using an assassination ability, not any other time.

So then I look at the first passive: Master Assassin
Which states that it increases "Weapon Damage" for attacks while stealthed or invisible.

Here is where the confusion sets in. First, typically class abilities DONT use weapon damage. They completely ignore it. In this case, all of the abilities in the assassination tree use spellpower/magicka for their damage. Not weapon damage.

So how exactly is the passive "Master Assassin" going to help you at all "while using assassination abilities" such as the first ability "Assassins Blade", when bonus weapon damage (from the passive) is completely ignored by that ability?

Likewise, what good is getting a bonus to weapon damage going to do for weapon attacks, if it ONLY works "while using assassination abilities" Light attack? Strong attack? Any weapon skill? Nope...not an assassination ability, which means no bonus damage (according to the tooltip description).

The skill, based on its descriptive info, completely contradicts itself, if its accurate, making it a 100% useless skill. It will never provide ANY bonus to ANY attack.

Would be nice to have the devs clarify how this works, or simply, fix the tooltip so that it states the REAL info. (or maybe the skill needs to be fixed all together)
  • Dustile
    Dustile
    ✭✭✭
    /Bump

Same question here but, with bow abilities

Edited by Dustile on April 5, 2014 4:23PM
  • eduardas.funkapreeb18_ESO
    good question now I am confused too!
  • tw1jaysin
    tw1jaysin
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same thoughts. A little clarification is def needed.
  • Gideun
    Gideun
    /Bump

Confused as well, Clarification please.
  • Zewks
    Zewks
    ✭✭✭
    Hello devs... this is the perfect type of thing to comment on. Its not whining, or crying for nerfs, or saying the game is bad.

its just asking for clarification on a game mechanic.

Please respond.
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭
    Hello devs... this is the perfect type of thing to comment on. Its not whining, or crying for nerfs, or saying the game is bad.

its just asking for clarification on a game mechanic.

Please respond.

Anger translation:

TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW, DEVS. TELL US NOW BEFORE JACK BAUER IS BACK ON TV.
    Edited by KoooZ on April 5, 2014 7:37PM
  • Dustile
    Dustile
    ✭✭✭
    Thought we would have an answer by now. Very disappointing
  • Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The passive directly buffs weapon damage, you can see that on your character sheet after going into stealth. This makes perfect sense too, since none of the assassination abilities are actually good stealth openers (except maybe for the ultimate).
  • Bretentious
    Bretentious
    ✭✭
    I like Teleport Strike as an opener
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im starting to think its a useless passive if you have to open with a regular attack or power attack to use it. I always open from stealth with either a bow which doesnt stun anyways or veiled strike/ concealed weapon which stuns and does good damage. Seems incredibly pointless to pick this perk the way it is. It doesnt even tell you how much longer they will be stunned for either, so you have to pick it before you learn what it does.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • TheGrimaceOR
    TheGrimaceOR
    ✭✭
    Most of the assassin skills actually are mitgated by melee damage and armor. A good rule of thumb is if the class ability summons some type of melee weapon then that class skill even though its source is magika its crit is regulated by weapon crit and not spell. This has been tested and the numbers shown.
  • Kronos
    Kronos
    Most of the assassin skills actually are mitgated by melee damage and armor. A good rule of thumb is if the class ability summons some type of melee weapon then that class skill even though its source is magika its crit is regulated by weapon crit and not spell. This has been tested and the numbers shown.

This is the reason why NB were using 2 handed weapons in beta, and many are still using them now.
    - Kronos Dawnbreaker
    The Septim Bloodline
    Guildmaster
  • Chomag
    Chomag
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, wait, wait. So if you build a stamina/weapon based nightblade like a melee NB who uses NB openers and executions, your class tree abilities will hit like a wet noodle later on in the game because you did not invest in magicka?

Epic fail?
    Edited by Chomag on April 7, 2014 12:56PM
  • TheGrimaceOR
    TheGrimaceOR
    ✭✭
    I belive the damage is increased by stamina not magika, but I am not sure. All I know is that they do work off weapon crit and not spell crit, and even though it says magic damage it is mitigated by armor not spell resist.
  • Koinzell
    Koinzell
    I think to have read somewhere that most Assassin skills are affected by weapon dmg and stamina, but I am not sure here
  • iso_1a_ESO
    iso_1a_ESO
    ✭✭
    I belive the damage is increased by stamina not magika, but I am not sure. All I know is that they do work off weapon crit and not spell crit, and even though it says magic damage it is mitigated by armor not spell resist.

This has caused a lot of confusion for me as well. They really need to offer some type of UI element that CLEARLY STATES what is modified by stamina and magicka, where it's crit chance is derived from, and what type of damage it does. I realize they already say magic damage, but that's really kind of strange for a Rogue-like melee damage dealer. Even if the abilities cost magicka to summon a mean looking magic dagger for a quick jab, it could still do physical type damage. Doesn't really matter whether the hole is poked with a magical blade or a metal blade...physical destruction occurred. At least in my opinion. Now on the other hand, Siphoning type abilities for example should clearly be kept as magic damage. Shadow magic is still magic. Hopefully we'll get these weird discrepancies cleared up soon so that people can start planning their builds accordingly.
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how to explain it but ambush will all buy one shot a mob coming out of stealth with master assaasin.
    Yesterday I put one point in to magica and tool tip of the assassins abilities damage increased by 1. WTF all time I invested in to a wrong stats. :( Developers I know you understand and it makes scene to you, but please explain to us.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I put one point in to magica and tool tip of the assassins abilities damage increased by 1. WTF all time I invested in to a wrong stats. :( Developers I know you understand and it makes scene to you, but please explain to us.
    Hmmm ... maybe thats why my NB was working better in beta than it is now.

• xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If magicka, stam, and health are going to effect things other then just m,s, and h then it needs to say that. Right now it looks like im just increasing 1 thing. No more secrets!

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The tooltips on your magicka and stamina bars clearly indicate that magicka boosts all magical damage and stamina boosts all physical damage. The slightly confusing thing is that increasing your max magicka or max stamina (by equipping a ring or eating a meal, for instance) actually also directly boosts your damage- as far as I know, no other game does this.

You can max out both magicka and stamina at level 50, so this is only a temporary issue.

I'd go stamina with an archer and magicka with a dual wield build, since dual wield weapons really suck for backstabs (stealth boost only applies to one of the weapons) and Veiled Strike does huge damage anyway (much more than the tooltip indicates).
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    Koinzell wrote: »
    I think to have read somewhere that most Assassin skills are affected by weapon dmg and stamina, but I am not sure here
    I'm afraid this is not correct. Ability damage scales with :

1)The resource it uses.

2)Weapon damage ONLY if it's an ability from a weapon tree. Otherwise it scales with spell power.

Basic attacks scale with weapon damage and very weakly with stamina.

Abilities, regardless of the resource they use, are both mitigated by, and use the crit of:

1)Physical/melee if it uses an arrow or weapon, summoned or otherwise (Veiled Strike, Searing Strike ect.)

2)Magical otherwise.

Edit: For proof see Mystborn's ESO Unravelled videos on YouTube.

Edited by Teloran on April 8, 2014 5:28AM
    now its clear. I have to put all points in to magica and dress with a skirts like mages do. This is *** ;( I want leather!!!! Iam shadow assasin ninja RRRRRR
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    now its clear. I have to put all points in to magica and dress with a skirts like mages do. This is *** ;( I want leather!!!! Iam shadow assasin ninja RRRRRR

True. Robes should be more for staff users honestly its kinda silly to see an assassin in robes. Its not even cool robes like in assassins creed, its big dumb skirts. I like the passives for medium armor, but if at end game its garbage compared to robes ill have to switch =(.

• Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    Currently investing 2/3 into Magicka, do pretty decent dmg I think. And did that just because nightblade skills cost alot of magicka to use. Still wear mostly Medium Armor due to aiding in Stealth and Phys Crit, which does seem to affect Nightblade skills since I think I hear that crit sound more often now, chh shink?

Mah, the confusion...

How these things work are just as secretive and confusing as they are in The Secret World MMO.
  • Laurai
    Laurai
    ✭✭
    Drachdhar wrote: »
    Currently investing 2/3 into Magicka, do pretty decent dmg I think. And did that just because nightblade skills cost alot of magicka to use. Still wear mostly Medium Armor due to aiding in Stealth and Phys Crit, which does seem to affect Nightblade skills since I think I hear that crit sound more often now, chh shink?

Mah, the confusion...

How these things work are just as secretive and confusing as they are in The Secret World MMO.

Wait....crits make a sound?
  • Zewks
    Zewks
    ✭✭✭
    I really dont like how the devs are so quiet, they really need to interact more with the players. This is a subscription based game, its one of the perks we should have.
  • gunsofdeschain
    gunsofdeschain
    ✭✭✭
    bump
  • Draogon
    Draogon
    Glad I'm not entirely alone on this front. I saw the tooltips when hovering over stats like magicka early on (ish) but the whole light armour/medium armour does confuse me somewhat. I want the typical leather armour with assassin mask look. I've seen a few people with it but nothing I equip ever has the mask. I see some set bonus on light armour that are clearly aimed at NB's (stealth bonus etc) but then the chest piece always seem to be (Mage) robes.
  • robertlive2014
    robertlive2014
    ✭✭✭
    I regularly review my tool tip damage numbers for each of my favorite skills. I look at them without food bonus first, and then with a +282 magic food bonus. This way I can learn which skills are getting a damage boost from more magic. It seems my build gains all of its damage from magic based attacks. Now, I really have only one skill that I can use from stealth to get the automatic critical hit. This skill costs magic, but because it's a so-called conjured weapon and is used at melee range (8m), the skill uses weapon-based critical chance, thus allowing it to qualify for the automatic critical hit from stealth. Would this skill do more damage with more max stamina? No, it does more damage with more magic and it does absolutely the most damage from stealth.