Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Um the new trailer breaks oblivion lore?

Salacious
Salacious
✭✭✭
So in the new trailer the imperial city is under siege, I assume that this kind of war will do some serious damage to the city and I know this game is a 1000 years before skyrim which is x years after oblivion (skyrim that is (or are they the same time?))

Regardless of when is when - oblivion shows no scars, x years after this game, that any kind of war took place and I never found any lore books in oblivion that talked about these kind of battles OR the anchors.

So are they breaking lore or did I just not play oblivion thoroughly enough? Because even 1000 years after this battle there should be ruins, stories, scars on the land. I mean look at WW1 - not a thousand years ago but there's still scars on the land from that.

So are they breaking from the lore or am I crazy?
  • Foxhunt
    Foxhunt
    ✭✭✭
    WW1 was 100 years ago. I'd think that in another 900 years the scars of WW1 may no longer be there. 1000 years is a long time, and plenty of time for things/the area to change drastically depending on the unfolding events. Also, they can create new lore. They're not necessarily breaking lore if that lore didn't exist in the first place in Oblivion.
    Edited by Foxhunt on April 4, 2014 3:59PM
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    They were going to go back in time and fix this discrepancy, but some mad man stole the last remaining TARDIS and never returned it.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a mason, named M'aiq. I worked extensively in the repairs and maintenance of the Imperial City. It took some time to get things fixed up, but we managed it. We used an enchanted army of Scamps initially as a cheap labor force until they unionized. It wasn't easy but we did it.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    They stated they were drawing on 20 years of lore. and when a game is in the past you cannot just break lore, because games that come after it depend on that lore
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim is 200 years ahead of Oblivion, Do you see any signs of Dagon's dreadful invasion in Skyrim?[yes, it happened in every single province in Tamriel.]

1,000 years is way more then enough time to fix the bridges and infrastructure. And more importantly, White-Gold Tower is never destroyed or even harmed as far as I can tell.[White-Gold is that important, even to Bal.]
    Edited by Lord_Hev on April 4, 2014 4:20PM
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Shinozuka
    Shinozuka
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/

These guys talk lore all day :)
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oblivion shows no scars, x years after this game, that any kind of war took place and I never found any lore books in oblivion that talked about these kind of battles OR the anchors

Nobody ever likes to remember the history where we failed, maybe that's true for the daedra.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • FoleyX90
    FoleyX90
    ✭✭✭
    800 years between TESO and Oblivion. That's a *** of time
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    The whole reason ZOS chose this time in history was because its the least documented and the stuff that is written in books is all talk, some true some not.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    The DEVs have already said they do not feel bound by existing lore. So ESO may not be 100% consistent with previous games.
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    this enrages me
  • RhajaZola
    RhajaZola
    Salacious wrote: »
    this enrages me
    r u serious??

• Metella
    Metella
    ✭✭
    Salacious wrote: »
    I mean look at WW1 - not a thousand years ago but there's still scars on repair the land from that.

There's a fairly huge difference between 100 and 1000 years, and I'm not really sure what you mean by "scars on the land", but WWI is pretty much still in living memory. I live in a city which was the focus of wars around 1000 years ago and the only signs of it, if any, are the remains of fortifications which would have maybe been built at the time, but them being ruins (assuming they are, the oldest I can think of is the main building at the Tower of London which I think is C14th and has been maintained/renovated pretty continuously as it was generally in use as palace/prison/etc) is more due to becoming disused and not repaired than damage from wars, with the exception of some places damaged during the Blitz and repaired using more modern materials and that sort of thing.
    I suppose there are probably places where a person with the relevant knowledge could spot an C11th repair to a C8th building, or whatever, but i can't think of any obvious enough that, were I tasked with designing a video game set in present-day London, it would be noticeable in my design unless I wanted to make a point of it.

I think there's arguably something a bit strange about the fact that ESO Riften has a very similar layout (but a new design) to TESV Riften, given the buildings there are mostly wooden and it's built on top of a canal, but then maybe building repair workers use magic to prolong the longevity of the structures or something ;)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »
    Skyrim is 200 years ahead of Oblivion, Do you see any signs of Dagon's dreadful invasion in Skyrim?[yes, it happened in every single province in Tamriel.]

1,000 years is way more then enough time to fix the bridges and infrastructure. And more importantly, White-Gold Tower is never destroyed or even harmed as far as I can tell.[White-Gold is that important, even to Bal.]
    This, how many real world structures are 1000 year old.
    First only monument stone buildings tend to survive.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    go to Dresden, when you are walking around some of those streets and standing in the Frauenkirche, the last thing you are thinking of is how that particular building (and city) was a pile of ash and rubble and the scene of one the worse bombing campaigns of WW2.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    No as our European friends can tell you large swaths of Europe where laid waste under roving armies with canon running around for 100 - 150 years or so in the 1600's. Some decades lighter on the destruction than others. Roll back 800 years and you have the crusades and sacking of Constantinople and most or the eastern Mediterranean lands along the coast. When you see destruction in those area it generally is more modern.
  • Metella
    Metella
    ✭✭
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_buildings_in_the_United_Kingdom (sorry, my phone's browser is misbehaving and won't post this at the end of my post.)
    zaria wrote: »
    This, how many real world structures are 1000 year old.

Well, quite a few, really, though many are far from intact and/or have been incorporated into newer buildings. Most of Europe has a fair amount of buildings that old and older, and I'm sure the same could be said for other parts of the world. (Incidentally, I've checked and the White Tower in the Tower of London's oldest parts are C11th/12th).

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurricane katrina (or was it ike?) Pretty much completely demolished galveston's boardwalk.

In two weeks, it looked like nothing ever happened.

If you can fix an entire boardwalk in two weeks given modern construction and machinery, I think a thousand years is plenty of time to repair some broken walls.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Benefactor
    Benefactor
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are bridges to the imperial city on all sides. thousands of years later there are not so the war did change the imperial city somewhat. It was most likely rebuilt.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They needed creative license.

They chose an era with almost no _hard_, _factual_ evidence about lore.

As was said, a millennia is a very long time. Human records of what happened 1,000 years ago are scarce. Imagine the records of people who haven't developed to the extent we have, as with Tamriel. They're still living in what we'd call a pre-modern society, where only wealthy scribes and scholars with their own agendas can afford to record history, as they see fit.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 5, 2014 3:07AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]