Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is crafting really worth it?

gimarwb17_ESO
gimarwb17_ESO
✭✭✭
It has been said variously on forum and info by producer that self crafted weapons/armor will be at least as good and most even better than the purchased ones.

OK I am crafting for instance staves. I am only level 7 but anyway, I am crafting staves for self and alts. The staves I craft with whatever is available to a lvl 7 who is always looking out and searching for materials as well, well the staff I crafted for level 4 has damage of 13 for a level 4. The staff you can buy at weapon vendor has damage 20 for a level 3!
Same goes for amor, bought on is far far better than homespun. What level do you have to be for crafting to be worth it?
If I add up what I can sell the materials for and what I save in making the stuff shows that if I sold the mats I would have a huge amount of more money left over even if I bought the items

• Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    After the first few levels, you will be wanting to upgrade your weapons at least to better quality. In order to help me do this (get the improvement reagents), I created a number of alts and levelled them to the point where they can get the hireling skill. I now get a steady stream of mats coming in through the mail each day which means I should always be able to make a green quality weapon every few levels and a blue every now and then (even have one of the legendary reagents for when the time comes).
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't research traits you'll be missing out on the best features of crafting (and good armor/weapons)

Ah and finding special 'forges' where you can make sets with 2-8 traits per piece and bonus stats for set (but you'll need to have researched quite a few traits already)
    Edited by mutharex on April 4, 2014 9:35AM
  • Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    You can craft better armor and weapons than almost all of the gear you will receive from quests or random loot. But odds are your crafting skills won't be high enough until around lvl15 to start crafting consistently better stuff. In addition to crafting there is also enhancing. You could take a white item and make it a purple if you really wanted to.
    So yes, it definitely pays to level up the crafting skills, and to keep them leveled.
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth it... yes, sure.
    But only if you go the extra mile and do all the research, keep up with level, etc.
    Which takes A LOT of time and dedication to resource collecting/grinding.

Probably not a valid option for many casual gamers - better seek out and join a large trade guild, provide them with the resources you collect as you go through the game and order/buy the stuff you need from their dedicated craters. That's what I am doing, win/win.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like a character without some sort of crafting would be forfeiting an arm and a leg, so to speak.

Then again, I enjoy crafting, and find it very enjoyable to spend my time on.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, at least provisioning and alchemy (and being able to create glyphs for your weapons and armor ain't half bad either)
  • wayfarerb14_ESO
    wayfarerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    tengri wrote: »
    Worth it... yes, sure.
    But only if you go the extra mile and do all the research, keep up with level, etc.
    Which takes A LOT of time and dedication to resource collecting/grinding.

Probably not a valid option for many casual gamers - better seek out and join a large trade guild, provide them with the resources you collect as you go through the game and order/buy the stuff you need from their dedicated craters. That's what I am doing, win/win.

I don't think you necessarily need to research ALL the traits or even all the items in the crafting line. Pick your favorite weapon or armor piece and focus on that. I would say a good point to start out on is having two traits researched in your favorite armor or weapon type so you can use the special crafting centers.
    Example: my current character is dual wielding, so in the blacksmith line, I am only researching one handed weapons.

• Empty_Emotions
    When comparing crafted items to store bought items, also look at the quality level of the items.

Most store-bought items are "green" in quality as to where crafted items are "white" in quality by default.

Store-bought items also tend to be quite pricey compared to what a player would charge you to make the similar item.

Another hidden benefit of crafting is that most of the time you do not need to repair your gear as you can re-craft the gear for cheaper.

Short answer: Crafting pays for itself as to where store bought items are largely a gold sink.
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    In the long run: yes. You can build an item to your own specifications (use your best enchants, item characteristic and style)

Now is it worth making a point of trying to build yourself a rare item while you're leveling? Not really. Just wait until you have crafting stuff to burn.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...