Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Most "realistic" alliance for an Imperial?

AngryNord
AngryNord
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
What alliance would be most fitting for an Imperial? my first thought was DC, since they have an outspoken goal of restoring the 'old' empire, but I can see an Imperial serving With the Ebonheart Pact too... The Aldmeri Dominion lacks a 'tank ' race by default, but an Imperial in the AD would feel kinda like a jew in the Waffen-SS...
  • Ri_Dariit
    Ri_Dariit
    ✭✭✭
    This one understands your need for realism, sadly yet, imperials never cared for the three unions except unite them under imperial banner. To be realistic, this Nord could pretend to work as a diplomat with one of the houses. Realistic enough, yes? Perhaps in the future a new emperor will reunite the clans. One can only dream for peace.
    Fusozay Var VarJaji kor nirni. Ri'Dariit ahnurr shir Gouranga an vasa rid-t'har.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know enough about this specific era to say, really. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first real exposure to this timeframe in TES history, so everything they allow is technically lore canon, no?

In this instance, it would mean it's lore canon for an Imperial to join any alliance for personal goals. Maybe you're a sleeper, sent to an alliance to promote Imperial pursuits from within an alliance's own ranks?
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Daggers are Zombie Raising Necromancers. Which personally I think would be disturbing to an Imperial.

The Aldmeri Dominion. The Altmer only wish to regain power. The Wood Elves and Khajiit are just a means to an end. So you will be too.

The Dark Elves are racists that will enslave anyone they see as weak and there for the taking. Theyre even known to brutally abuse their own people because they arent of one of the Houses.

You just have to ask yourself. Which of these three will your character be able to stomach dealing with since the other races in these factions are actually more tolerable.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperials aren't squeaky clean either though.

That's one of my favorite parts of TES. Nobody is a shining, righteous paladin. Everybody is just a shade of grey.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Dark Elves are racists that will enslave anyone they see as weak and there for the taking. Theyre even known to brutally abuse their own people because they arent of one of the Houses.

Although it is called the Ebonheart Pact, it is in fact ruled by a Nord.

• Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if we are speaking "lore" here, Ebonheart Pact "wins" in the end because Tiber Septim comes down from Skyrim to put an end to the Interregnum. So side with the winners. :D Honestly though, none of the alliances make any more "sense" than the others. Each of them has their own agenda and goals that they are trying to further, and you can bet that none of them are as pure as simply "putting the Empire back together".
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually lore is a bit divided, there are some Sources claiming Tiber Septim came from High Rock...
  • Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    Actually lore is a bit divided, there are some Sources claiming Tiber Septim came from High Rock...

Nope. Tiber Septim was Hjalti Earlybeard, a Nord from Atmora.

Edit: This is confirmed in Skyrim.
    Edited by Cayce_of_Kata on April 4, 2014 8:34AM
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Tiber_Septim

Third paragraph ("Heresy"):
    (This alternate story shares many of the details and events of the official version, but differs in key aspects.) Hjalti Early-Beard was born on the island of Alcaire, in High Rock.[4] Amid rumors of a warlord destined to rule Tamriel, he rose to prominence in the service of King Cuhlecain and fought to unify Cyrodiil. Few knew of the existence of his secret ally, the Underking, Ysmir Kingmaker.[4] The Underking provided assistance to the young General, but the manner of his assistance is vaguely described in the book. There are references to a storm that talks all night with Hjalti and deflected arrows while Hjalti shouted down the wall of Old Hrol'dan, where Hjalti was given the name Talos, meaning Stormcrown, by his men.[4] This storm is most likely the Underking, as his body had recently been blasted to ash by the Greybeards, and he is referred to as 'Ysmir, the Grey Wind' and 'the Storm of Kyne'.[4] After the province was conquered, Hjalti murdered Cuhlecain and his contingent in the Imperial City and blamed the deaths and ensuing blaze on assassins from High Rock.[4] The Underking continued to aid in his conquests, and Hjalti took the name Tiber Septim, ascending to the Ruby Throne.
  • Kellso
    Kellso
    Soul Shriven
    To me the Imperials seem to fit the best with the Ebonheart Pact.
    But maybe that's because the only elder scrolls game I played was Skyrim.
    Edited by Kellso on April 4, 2014 8:51AM
  • DLaren
    DLaren
    ✭✭
    The Daggerfall Covenant is the only faction that is working to restore the Empire; so that is where an Imperial would naturally align.

The Ebonheart Pact is fighting for independence from the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion is fighting to keep mankind from ruling over elven-kind.
    Emperors fall, but Nations are forever...For King, and Covenant...
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mate , i dont role play in video games , but i do play many table top RPGs.

In the end , assuming the same idea apply , the most important thing is your personal story.

Make a good background and even if you are the only imperial in a whole faction , it would make sense to you.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a highly individual choice. If you want to restore a unified empire, DC is a natural choice for a human. If you prefer independent countries, EP makes sense. If you don't give a rat's ass or are a mercenary fighting for gold, I can see you joining whoever, including AD. Then there's a multitude of personal reasons why you'd end up in this province and not another, like family or friendship ties, bad experiences with one group etc. A good backstory can explain most any choice.
    AngryNord wrote: »

Nope. Tiber Septim was Hjalti Earlybeard, a Nord from Atmora.

Edit: This is confirmed in Skyrim.
    Skyrim didn't confirm Hjalti's race. All we know is that he was a guy with a Nord name born in High Rock.