Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Max Stealth Duration

Jeddahwe
Jeddahwe
✭✭✭
What is the longest amount of time a player can stay in stealth?

If you want to be the type that attacks other players from stealth in Cyrodiil can it be done? As in they don't see me until I open on them?
  • TuterKing
    TuterKing
    ✭✭
    I think with the right armour/skills yes. If you use invisible ability they will not see you. Although I think we might have to wait till theives/black brotherhood till we can get a lot more boosts to stealth.
    The King is Here!
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeddahwe wrote: »
    What is the longest amount of time a player can stay in stealth?

If you are not moving, forever. Or until someone detects you.

If you are moving, your stamina is being continually drained. When you run out you will be revealed - but you can prevent that by stopping every now and then to regen stamina before continuing.

• Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    But I thought the only way to stealth is to be NB and use the 2.5sec duration ability?
  • TuterKing
    TuterKing
    ✭✭
    But I thought the only way to stealth is to be NB and use the 2.5sec duration ability?

No everyone can use it by pressing ctrl. I just never use it because I'm a mage but you for sure can use it.
    The King is Here!
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2.5 second ability is invisibility, not stealth. Those are two different states, independent of each other. You can be stealthed, invisible, or even both stealthed and invisible at the same time. They differ in several aspects. For instance, you cannot go into stealth while an enemy is looking at you, but you can go invisible. Also, attacks from stealth count as sneak attacks, but attacks from invisibility don't(unless you are stealthed as well)
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Wait so 'sneak' which any one can use by pressing 'Alt' and consumes Stamina while moving other players and NPC's can not see me outside of the detect radius and as long as they don't see me I can stand still by the side of the road unseen? Also what is a sneak attack? Also, racial that increase stealth radius affect sneak?
    Edited by Jeddahwe on April 4, 2014 6:26AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait so 'sneak' which any one can use by pressing 'Alt' and consumes Stamina while moving other players and NPC's can not see me outside of the detect radius and as long as they don't see me I can stand still by the side of the road unseen?

Yes, except it is CTRL not Alt.
    Also what is a sneak attack? Also, racial that increase stealth radius affect sneak?

When you are stealthed, and attack an enemy who is not aware of you with a physical attack(bow or melee), that attack gets a very high damage bonus(higher than if it was a normal attack that critically hit). This is called a sneak attack.

Racials that increase stealth radius affects sneak like you would expect - you can get closer to an enemy before they spot you. Keep in mind that this is from the front - if you approach them from the back, you can get right up to them without them seeing you even if you have no stealth radius bonus.
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Wow so in PvP I can get ganged by a 2h wielding class as well as a dual wielding assassin!! That's MADNESS!!! A melee 2H class can sneak right up to me....Oh man
    Edited by Jeddahwe on April 4, 2014 6:39AM
  • TuterKing
    TuterKing
    ✭✭
    Wow so in PvP I can get ganged by a 2h wielding class as well as a dual wielding assassin!! That's MADNESS!!! A melee 2H class can sneak right up to me....Oh man

Yep you can do that. Don't feel that you are forced to use the generic roles that other games have laid out.
    The King is Here!
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are not stealthed yourself then another class that is stealthed can sneak up on you, regardless whether you are an assassin or not, that's correct. But why are you not stealthed if you are an assassin?

If you are stealthed, then you have advantages over the non-assassin guy in the stealth departement. For instance nightblades have skills that work better from stealth, they can move faster while stealthed, etc.