Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Templar Armor

Castielle
Castielle
✭✭✭
Hey guys. Been rolling my Templar around Tamriel. Still pretty low level and I'm just curious what other Templars are wearing for armor (Light, Medium, Heavy). I know it's early and I am leveling them all and messing around with it, but I can't help but feel like a Templar should wear Heavy Armor. What are you Templars wearing?

Cas
  • outlanderbz
    Heavy for me but I picture a holy knight type character in my mind. Guess it might be different when I figure out how I want to play my Templar. Still trying to decide if I want dps, tank or heal. So confused.
  • Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I picture him the same way. Was a Captain in Lotro, so trying to go for something similar.

Cas
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    I've got two Templars, but for the moment I'm focusing on the first one.

Healer/caster with some bow CC: 5 light, 2 medium

Tank: 5 heavy, 2 medium
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • Quash
    Quash
    Right now I have a 21 templar that I was toying with full "healing" skills. I have everything on the first set of 5 +ultimate out of the restoration tree (I swap piercing javelin when by myself so I can actually kill things)

Armor wise I went full light armor (Found all 3 pieces of warlock set and have misc blues to fill the gaps)

2H resto staff for a MH

Sadly I messed up and did not join the fighters guild (stupid) and will be going back to do so. I want to have a setup where I can switch to my second weapon and use mostly stamina. This way, if my magika regen isn't enough for what's going on I can switch. I am debating on going and getting a heavy set of armor just to go sword/board for the second weap. Right now I am rolling with a bow because of it's stats.

So far it is real easy to heal in raiding parties or groups for dungeons. I dont have any problems killing 2-4 mobs my level at once. PVP is kind of difficult when cornered because most all healing is AOE or HOT. The others burn up the mana quickly.

/endstory
    -Quash
  • Chomag
    Chomag
    ✭✭✭
    There is little reason to wear medium armor on a templar when your paths as dps can go either for light armor as a templar mage ( fire mage) OR heavy armor as a templar melee fighter (retribution paladin).

Most of your damage comes from your templar class skill trees which are magicka dependent. As a melee fighter, the only stamina dependent skill on your action bar should be Critical Charge from your 2handed weapon.

Your weapon is just a filler between puncturing strikes and piercing javelin. Thus you don't need to invest or gear for stamina almost at all, so medium armor is pointless for templar.
  • Grinbarran
    I was wondering the same thing. Am going for a hybrid healer/caster type playstyle so after reading this i think i'll go with light armor. thanks yall
  • Valravn
    Valravn
    I have a vet2 High elf Templar.
    Up to level 50 I had full set of light armor. A lot of magica helps you heal, and you can easily kill groups with aoe burst damage.
    At vet level I switched to using 5-6 heavy + 1-2 light. Mobs start hitting much harder, and you cant simply spam them with puncturing sweep. Racial skills + vampire skills + warlock set still gives me overcharged regen and a little extra, but with heavy armor I now have balanced armor vs magic resist.
    Unless you are High Elf vampire I doubt that you will be fine healing with 5 heavy items, although I definitely recommend having at least a chest and one more heavy. I recommend chest because it does not matter for passive skills, but it adds the most armor.
    As weapons I use bow when healing (because it does not use your magica) and shield for solo play (extra armor and crowd control).
    PS - I have 0 points in stamina, 0 in medium armor and avoid stamina glyphs. I really think that going into stamina is the weakest choice for the Templar.
    Edited by Valravn on May 1, 2014 8:51AM
  • wootuz
    wootuz
    Soul Shriven
    Argonian V3 Templer. 5 Heavy 2 Light. 2Hander and Resto Staff. I don't need any more light armor then 2 for my play style. Heal perfectly fine in Heavy. This is stats with +Stam and Magicka Food buff. http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag401/Wootuz/Screenshot_20140429_232551Temp_zps165e14a8.png?t=1398833380
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy is just better. Some argue that light is best for its magicka passives but you can get heavy armor with magicka enchantments and jewelry+pots+food and rune focus and equilibrium, to match that and still have better armor. I suggest 1h with heavy armor though...heavy armor alone is not good enough in this game- you have to have a good shield.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Tatuaje
    Tatuaje
    ✭✭
    Level 43 healer right now and I have been running light armor. I draw so much agro it isn't funny. Today we are talking and I think I will try a heavy armor x6 piece set, light hat...... build for health and majica (some good food for this in game). I will tank just by my healing agro and tell the others to not use any agro stealing skills. If I get the armor done tonight we will try it.
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy for me but I picture a holy knight type character in my mind. Guess it might be different when I figure out how I want to play my Templar. Still trying to decide if I want dps, tank or heal. So confused.

Same here, I'm a big D&D Paladin player and this was as close to it as I could get. Still no idea what role I fit best, but I do great solo (struggle with story bosses at the same level), fine in groups in dungeons, and hold my own in the limited PvP I have tried

And when it gets completely to chaotic, I pull out my Restoration Staff and chuck heals around

All the while in my shiny plate
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chomag wrote: »
    There is little reason to wear medium armor on a templar when your paths as dps can go either for light armor as a templar mage ( fire mage) OR heavy armor as a templar melee fighter (retribution paladin).
    Little or no reason for any class to use Medium Armour (haven't played nightblade properly yet, just create an Argonian called Mwelret for it). The way the bonuses work mean you have to go for one armour type, and it seems to be either Light for magic or Heavy for damage reduction. No incentive really for medium armour that I can see.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • t.claudio.usnub18_ESO
    All heavy, I did my own testing and all heavy is the way to go, reason is even though 2 light will up your spell resist by 16% I can't give up my %7 to healing and +24 health regen, not only that I over cap my armor by a lot, solf cap does not mean stop as many seem to think, I am over armor soft cap by like 200 points at least and I am also soft caped in spell resist so I fail to see the point in 2 light. I use mostly stam skills, the only magic skills I use are my heal and AOE.

Edited by t.claudio.usnub18_ESO on May 2, 2014 12:40AM
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    Warlock ring + pendant + cowl

As for the rest, whatever mainly Heavy Armor.

I also opted for the 2-handed and will keep it for the ability to play Lednail/Liandel -> pounce, pounce, pounce in RvR as a healer.
    Nidwinqq Templar (healzzz) United Warhammer Vets
    Nidwinqq RR100 Magus till the end, R.I.P. Badlands
  • Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    Nidwin wrote: »
    Warlock ring + pendant + cowl

As for the rest, whatever mainly Heavy Armor.

I also opted for the 2-handed and will keep it for the ability to play Lednail/Liandel -> pounce, pounce, pounce in RvR as a healer.
    I use two Warlock rings and Focus.

Cas
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW, one of my templars wears nearly all medium armor (a Light or Heavy to keep up skill raises perhaps). She doesn't tank NOR does she heal; she's a sneaky archer. The heal is handy to have, but I have little magicka to power it --- I use the sunlight snare/DoT pretty much exclusively with none of the "spear" powers whose look I dislike.

She's more of an Archer who ~happens~ to be a Templar than a templar who uses a bow, if that makes any sense. :)
  • merwanoreb17_ESO
    I use 5 pieces of heavy armor and 2 pieces of light armor. I play a battlemage. As a Breton I use breton style light armor chest and hood, and the rest is redguard plate armor. I look like a warrior monk and very pleased with it so far :)
  • Bullgar
    Bullgar
    ✭✭
    46 Orc Templar. 5 heavy, 2 light so far leveling up. I use 1H/shield, resto staff, and bow interchangeably depending on the situation. 5 in STA, 10 in Health, rest in Magicka. With Magicka regen jewelry and a resto staff that deals magic dmg and restores Magicka on hit, I open up with Dawn's Wrath spells and either shoot arrows into their knees, run in with puncturing strike spam, or kite with my resto staff/dawn's wrath nukes. But my favorite thing to do is healing. I love it. Really fun thus far.

My only issue is that CC pretty much owns me unless I'm slotted perfectly for it. Lots of survivability, but little escapability. Haven't PvP'd much yet so can't comment on that.

I decided against going vampire. I know the magicka is great but I'm not too fond of being that vulnerable to fire.
    Bullgar, Orc Templar - DC
    Boglar, Imperial Templar - DC
    Paja Blackmane, Khajit NB - DC
    Bullgara, High Elf DK - DC
    Bull-gar, High Elf Warden - DC