The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should there be a In-Game Guild Search Tool?

TheGrandAlliance
TheGrandAlliance
✭✭✭✭
Trying to find a guild is "impossible" with the Megaserver concept: You just have to "hope" to run across one that you like. Should ZeniMax install a Guild Search feature that allows you to find guild anywhere in the Megaserver?
Edited by TheGrandAlliance on April 3, 2014 9:09PM
Indeed it is so...

Should there be a In-Game Guild Search Tool? 97 votes

Yes
84%
Kaynlori3luemrld_ESOrhonen_ESOGoldenjaguar_ESOHobbBrianRiversideSaerajhiggins985b14_ESOBlackQueenXiolaDephyriusjaerokarSkjoldurjanick.gerstenbergerb16_ESOantonyfrnb16_ESObrunotlopesb16_ESORebCoolitsSer_Orionp.hurst1b16_ESO 82 votes
No
15%
MallowaySkookumSeñorCincoNephyHigaaraDolgubonmatti.sievaneneb17_ESORandomixxzitzow1ub17_ESOPawkettedjodarsdpgirlRagnar_LodbrokNurmiWhite wabbit 15 votes
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    If no; please explain why, this feature that exists in other MMORPGs, is a bad idea.

Note: Do not vote based upon whether doing this is too hard based upon the amount of time ZeniMax developers would need to make it... only vote on whether you WANT it or not (in theory). I am not saying this tool should be done right away.
    Edited by TheGrandAlliance on April 4, 2014 3:27PM
    Indeed it is so...
  • Skookum
    Skookum
    ✭✭
    No
    They have so many other things that need to be added to guilds first before they should even think about this! (More ranks, bank tabs, tabards etc.)

It isn't impossible, Look on the forums! Guilds have websites, links to them in signatures, pages on multiple websites, It should not be hard to find a guild!

http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/categories/EN-guild-headquarters
    * [ The Obsidian Shield ] *

• TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well I am aware there 3rd party applications... else to keep things in-game you can only find guids that take the time to post in forums and the like. Furthermore the Guid HQ section is just flooded and no good if you wanted to auto-sort the guilds.

I didn't mean that this should be the first thing they do above others but nonetheless it should exist. For example WoW does have a tool, although not the best, allows you to know who is in the server with you.
    Edited by TheGrandAlliance on April 3, 2014 9:27PM
    Indeed it is so...
  • Vallant
    Vallant
    Yes
    Yes this would be a nice feature but I don't really think it should have a high priority at the moment.
  • Nurmi
    Nurmi
    No
    Everything automated completely kills the social aspect of mmo's, so in otherwords it would be better to figure out a ways to enhance the social aspects.

Like lets say, you could whisper for a guild which would be visible for any ranks the leader chooses to set!
    Edited by Nurmi on April 3, 2014 10:09PM
  • DissidentRage
    DissidentRage
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    It it means people don't have to spam the chat to add to their ranks, then yes.
    Nurmi wrote: »
    Everything automated completely kills the social aspect of mmo's, so in otherwords it would be better to figure out a ways to enhance the social aspects.

Like lets say, you could whisper for a guild which would be visible for any ranks the leader chooses to set!

Give guilds an option to be private/unlisted.
    Edited by DissidentRage on April 3, 2014 10:23PM
  • Skookum
    Skookum
    ✭✭
    No
    Nurmi wrote: »

A good point!
    * [ The Obsidian Shield ] *

• Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just dont understand , what you mean by this?

How would this tool help players? You just search for a guild name? What is the point of that if that is it?

I did play a game with a tool to help find guilds , every guild could go an add a note and people could go and check , but the list was really really big , and honestly , i never understood how it was better than the usual chat call.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Randomixx
    Randomixx
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It won't make a difference, just end up being a repeat of the guild searcher that was implemented in WoW: let's say you're looking for a guild that does PvP and RP? You filter the results to include guilds which only do those, right? Well sorry, 90 % of guilds said they do EVERYTHING so that they'll show up for everyone looking, giving you a ten kilometre long list of results no matter how precisely you try to narrow down the search terms.
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The vast majority of the time, very few people get much use out of a feature like this.
    I love Lua
    Mac: Pawkette< Templar, DC >
    PS4: Pawkette< Templar, AD >
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Pawkette wrote: »
    The vast majority of the time, very few people get much use out of a feature like this.

The point it to simply have a listing of guilds so you can find them. Else you don't even know if they exist or not.

Indeed it is so...
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    No
    @TheGrandAlliance‌ No I understand your reasoning, what I'm trying to tell you is that the typical use case of a guild finder/listing tool is:
    1. Massive initial response
    2. Quick fade of interest
    3. Disuse

The reason being, most people look for guilds fairly infrequently. So there may be some usefulness for a time, but in the end the effort versus reward as a studio is very little. Also, a large list of guilds is just that. A massive amount of information for individuals to parse. Most people don't want to do that, most people don't want to read about guilds and things. So you don't really end up with a tool for encouraging players to play together either. It has little use.
    I love Lua
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well I might be a "non-standard player" but I use it all the time in WoW in order to find the guilds that are out there. OF course I am trying to form a "Guild Alliance" system (hense me username) but alas no matter.

Just because it is not used doens't mean it is worthless. If built right it will help new players into the game. Whether they only use it ONCE doesn't matter as long as it did something.
    Indeed it is so...
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It does matter though, sustained game development in the case of MMORPGs is a matter of balancing reward vs time. A feature like this, takes a decent amount of time:
    • Main UI - week
    • Chat Links / Breadcrumbs to lead people to UI - 2/3 days
    • Database Support - 2/3 days
    • Server / Network support - week
    • Guild UI updates - 2/3 days

(some of that can be paralleled)

Then you have iteration, and testing time. Add another week.

It's a non-trivial amount of work to add. So while it may be useful to a small subset of people, when developing an MMO you must consider how much use the larger player base will get out of an item vs the development of something else. It's always a balancing act.
    I love Lua
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    @Pawkette‌

Yes I am aware this function is UI intensive for developer's. However this is a wish-thread not a "whether it can be done" thread. After all... as long as we are paying 15USD/month we should be getting stuff eventually.
    Indeed it is so...
  • p.hurst1b16_ESO
    p.hurst1b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Voted Yes.
    In Rift you could filter guilds by size and several tags such as PvP, Raiding, Casual etc etc. Very very useful for finding a nice guild and also for recruiting.
    <Enigmatic Name> Is poaching new guild members again ! Apply on our webby with your CV and proof of identity and we can arrange an interview with a panel of our officers.
  • Luciferazazell
    Luciferazazell
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I see people writing on here how yes a guild search in game would be nice but its not a priority and thag its not essential come on people this is a money making machine and that keep feeding us baby *** and players and diehard fans just keep eating it. This game (ESO) is so broken in so many ways as if its not hard enough keeping your self immersed in these dull quest as you grind through to get to a good enough level to play in pvp your telling me i have to leave the game go in to a forum message a group or guild or whatever hope to hear back either that or hope to bump into a player whos recruiting and messages you ((((If i have to leave the game in order to get things to play it or join a guild for the MMO then the game is broken and you have lost immersion))) around every corner this game finds a new oppertunity to screw the f up i meam look at the homestead update we got theres not much you can even do in your house you buy a house in which you cant store thing in that was one of the main reason everyone was waiting for from home stead they could have put some kind of storage limit so it doesnt affect there bank spaces in there money making crown store instead you get a house you can decorate and look at thats it. Its like everything zinemax does keeps fallen short and people on these forums find reasons to justify it and sweep it under the rug like its nothing seriously! I must be in the twilight zone of what was once the most awesome series the elders scrolls
    Edited by Luciferazazell on March 26, 2017 6:54PM
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think a guild search with the proper search criteria filters would be a great idea!
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons