Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hard to Ignore Magic

t.steve1991ub17_ESO
I know its "possible" to completely ignore magic in the game due to the fighters guild abilities. But it does not really seem viable to use stamina for every attack you do and also sprint dodge roll and sneak when needed. I just find it funny because in the very last TES game magic was frowned by the native race of skyrim for the most part and it was quite viable to use only stamina based attacks.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina builds are very viable, however you'll want a few magicka based spells - even if you're just using them for buffs and utility, you'll need a couple.

Healers have to be magicka based, thanks will want to dip into both resources.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have to agree, there's too much magic or rather obvious magic floating around.

It can be circumvented to a degree, my main character is a Nord dragonknight relying almost entirely on weapon skills (only DK skill I use is Stonefist as it looks largely like you're tossing a rock at someone to knock him over).
    He is, however, definitely weaker than he could be if I'd use more class abilities, even though he's playable well enough.
    I plan on doing similiar things with both nightblade and templar.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • outlanderbz
      I agree and it is the one thing that is holding me back from loving the game. That pure weapon warrior seems to be missing.
    • Mortelus
      Mortelus
      ✭✭✭
      I am managing so far, NB, Shadow cloak morphed with crit, 2h, lvl 6 though only. I am currently putting 3/1 in stam/health, I use shadow cloak to practically , disappear smash, disappear smash. most mobs don't even get a hit in. the harder ones sometimes do, if I get into trouble I disappear.

It's so much fun. Be crap in PvP probably though lol.
      Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
    • BluntedJ
      BluntedJ
      I agree and it is the one thing that is holding me back from loving the game. That pure weapon warrior seems to be missing.

But isn't that the point? Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that the draw was the possibility of thousands or more combinations of skills. Is it that you just have to figure out (out of the thousands or more combinations) what will make that pure warrior?
    • Bob
      Bob
      ✭✭✭
      This game with CLASS skills based on magika.... So if you cant live without CLASS (just unlock ultimates and passives) skills then you can build stamina based character!

But a agree, this is really dumb system for ES games... :\
      Edited by Bob on April 4, 2014 3:33AM
    • SeñorCinco
      SeñorCinco
      ✭✭✭✭
      The issue with this comes down to the automatic increase with attributes. We only get a portion of the total attribute points to distribute at level up.

I have been against the current mechanics long before the hype about the health adding 20 to the 10 points of the other two. I petition we have control of all of the attribute points and not just a quarter of it.

One may want (M/H/S) 400 /100 /100 and not 200/200/200, like the game automatically increases beyond our control. What is the difference in using 2 skills from each pool or 4 skills form one? It's clearly not a balance issue.
      Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
      Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
      Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
      ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Mortelus
      Mortelus
      ✭✭✭
      They should have had, Mage, Warrior and Thief as base classes and let the players decide from there.

And they need to add a class that doesn't have magika based class skills. After all mages can focus purely on magika.
      Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
    • TuterKing
      TuterKing
      ✭✭
      You will not want to bypass magic all together because then you have a bar your not using but that does not mean that you have to lvl up magic. What you get at start is a good amount.
      The King is Here!
    • Hexcaliber
      Hexcaliber
      ✭✭✭
      As you approach late game you will find you will most likely soft cap both stamina and magicka through gear alone,(gear can have two enchants once you are skilled in placing enchants), meanwhile health's cap is higher than the other two. If you have a magicka or stamina focused build you should be looking to develop passives that confer regen in combat and getting used to pot spamming. QQQQ
      Edited by Hexcaliber on April 4, 2014 6:26AM
      Regards Hexcaliber.
    • Kroin
      Kroin
      ✭✭
      You have 10 abilities so a mix of stamina and magica would be good.
    • LIQUID741
      LIQUID741
      ✭✭✭
      My personal opinion that the class abilities are there to be used, and are quite good...so use them. My primary attacks are with stam. followed by class abilities. I never open up with class...only to supplement. I'm going Stam3/Magic1 atm...ill start adding health soon. But for the most part dying hasnt been the issue for me at least. Also buffs are your friends...enchant your $hit! The vendor enchants work great!
      Solid-Nightblade of AD
    • BETAOPTICS
      BETAOPTICS
      ✭✭✭
      I do agree. In my opinion it only takes away from more variation within the game if a player so chooses to play as purely weapon skills using character. As a templar I personally took rushed ceremony and the ultimate for the time being to give me that extra tanking ability trough the heals and those are the only abilities that use magicka but in my eyes, we should be able to build non magicka using builds if we so choose. That being said, the current mechanics are against it heavily.

So what to do about this? What could be a solution? Honestly. Introduce new passives. Either ones that reduce stamina costs as long as you have weapon skills up, for example: " Decrease stamina costs for 4% for each weapon skill slotted ".

Of course that is made up within seconds so balance is off but the general idea could be that. Or then, introduce passives that allow players divide their resource usage between two resources. So a portion is paid with health and a portion is paid with stamina for example.

Of course, some may say that this is not how you are supposed to play this but I don't think it is any way or form less meant to be played like that than any other style. It just limits peoples choise in builds quite a lot and variance is good in my opinion. It is a resource that makes the game richer and deeper.
      Edited by BETAOPTICS on April 4, 2014 9:06AM