Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A Guide to Communicating on Forums

otomodachi
otomodachi
✭✭✭
So, I was hoping we could hash out some sort of statement we could agree on in terms of behaviour on these forums. I personally do better at being who I want to be when I know what's expected of me.

Here a couple standards I want to throw out there, to get a conversation started if nothing else. I know that by posting this, in a way I'm breaking my own 'rules' but heck, what can you do. NO rule works in EVERY situation. ;)

---

1. No describing other people negatively. Examples: "Well, I guess you're stupid." "You think (a thing) so you're probably some fat neckbeard in a basement."

While your role in a conversation is to represent your thoughts, it's just non-conductive to do things like this. Whatever you WERE talking about, the momentum now is to talk about whatever statement you just made. It's just a way to take a conversation off-topic. It makes more sense to talk about why YOU think that YOU think. If something someone says gives you a bad mental image of that person, focus on what you don't like about what they said. Focus on what you would have said different.

2. No unsolicited advice. "You need to grow up."

You don't know enough about anyone else on the internet to form useful opinions about them, in general. Lots of people will ask questions, and it's great to provide answers and help people figure out what they're doing wrong! If you don't wait for them to come to you for help, you're wasting your time!

---

I know how annoying it can be to have to sit through stuff that seems obvious to you, it can feel really patronizing. I hate going through company orientations and seminars, for example. But this is OUR forum, it's going to be OUR tool. What other ideas are out there for how you'd like to see it used?
Edited by otomodachi on April 3, 2014 7:34PM
What do you gain by criticizing a CSR complaint?
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    I would just love to see whining, complaining, ranting, ragequit and the like filtered into a proper category. I'm not complaining about complaining but these threads are like smoking in public places. Please designate an area for them.
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »
    I would just love to see whining, complaining, ranting, ragequit and the like filtered into a proper category. I'm not complaining about complaining but these threads are like smoking in public places. Please designate an area for them.

I would totally support a forum area SPECIFICALLY for blowing off steam!

EDIT: I've also noticed there's a lot of people that feel the need to champion internet skepticism on this forum. That's cool, it's true you shouldn't automatically believe things you read here.

But it's not productive to point out that someone is probably lying, in my opinion. The way I see it, you're going off-topic and changing the conversation to then being about whether or not someone is lying.

Communication is complicated!
    Edited by otomodachi on April 10, 2014 5:12PM
    What do you gain by criticizing a CSR complaint?