Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Playstation 5 Pro

msetten
msetten
✭✭✭✭
I am wondering if ZOS will be going to update the PS5 client to support the new capabilities of the just announced PS5 Pro. I hope at the least, they will allow us to not have to choose between high fidelity (better quality graphics) OR performance mode (high framerate), but get a combined more were we have high fidelity AND performance. Would be good to know before deciding to pre-order a PS5 Pro.
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    msetten wrote: »
    I am wondering if ZOS will be going to update the PS5 client to support the new capabilities of the just announced PS5 Pro. I hope at the least, they will allow us to not have to choose between high fidelity (better quality graphics) OR performance mode (high framerate), but get a combined more were we have high fidelity AND performance. Would be good to know before deciding to pre-order a PS5 Pro.

Well I do know ZOS said they are dropping old consoles
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally untrue.
    In the most recent interview they stated old gen consoles have lots of players and they will support them like they did with Windows 7 - til the "end of life".

Am I Happy? Not so much, but this Is the reality.
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
    B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious about this too, I play eso on both PC and PS
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    We don't have any updated to share today about the PS5 Pro. We'll share that the question is being asked in the community though. We saw a few comments during the livestream asking.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaiFaith wrote: »

Totally untrue.
    In the most recent interview they stated old gen consoles have lots of players and they will support them like they did with Windows 7 - til the "end of life".

Am I Happy? Not so much, but this Is the reality.
    Windows 7 you could have on any system from far below minimum specification to some monster who cost as much as an new car, later would be overkill by an high degree, note with 64 GB ram an fast SSD does not increase performance after load.

I say increasing requirements for Cyrodil and trials make sense. Not block but if you get issues fighting for the last emperor keep in a weekend its an client issue, 4080ti solved everything, it was the piece missing on my rig the 1080 ti was kind of outdated :)
    Now they could simply reduce default graphic settings in Cyrodil and trials. its not that the details of your spell casting will make sense in an huge fight anyway.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why would it matter we would still be forced into 30 frames per second no matter what at certain times. PS5 pro makes no difference as long as ZOS refuses to give us the choice same as PC player's.

Stay safe 🙂

Forgot to add I find it funny people are begging to drop old consoles support. Even if they did I don't see them also excluding Xbox series S console now that Microsoft owns ESO. Not sure we would get the big jump everyone is dreaming about.

Stay safe 🙂
    Edited by Hotdog_23 on September 11, 2024 6:03AM
  • nbksaske
    nbksaske
    ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see if they give ps5 pro users fidelity and performance in one setting, like Mark Cerny was suggesting (for games in general)
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Why would it matter we would still be forced into 30 frames per second no matter what at certain times. PS5 pro makes no difference as long as ZOS refuses to give us the choice same as PC player's.

Stay safe 🙂

Forgot to add I find it funny people are begging to drop old consoles support. Even if they did I don't see them also excluding Xbox series S console now that Microsoft owns ESO. Not sure we would get the big jump everyone is dreaming about.

Stay safe 🙂

Agree that we should have the possibility to completely turn off those breaking features. Especially seeing the price we need to pay (PS5 Pro) for that performance...

BUT I have to correct you on the Series S not providing a jump: it has 8 GB of RAM dedicated to games, instead of the 4 GB of the previous generation; on the GPU side it is not much of a jump compared to Xbox One X but it certainly is from base Xbox One; the CPU is probably the biggest jump, where the Series S has a huge, enormous advantage on PS4 and Xbox One. It also could allow to code for SSDs and get rid of slow hard drives, but... I DOUBT all this will have any impact, positively or negatively, since the PC minimum specs requirements are definitely lower than the Series S specs and I can see this remaining a thing even after old gen consoles will be cut out.

So, having the Series S as a base instead of original PS4/Xbox One would still provide a big jump, more than you would think! (Obviously not as big as if PS5 would have been the base - on Series X it already runs better, according to devs notes on current versions of Performance modes details compared)
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nbksaske wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if they give ps5 pro users fidelity and performance in one setting, like Mark Cerny was suggesting (for games in general)

If a PS5 Pro version of the game appears, yes I definitely think they could do this - it already happens on Xbox Series X, where according to devs notes all the additional details of the Fidelity mode are present in the Performance too, with the only difference being that Fidelity locks 4K resolution at 30 fps, while in Performance to achieve 60 fps the resolution is DYNAMIC 4K, going down til 1440p when necessary. You still get native 4K with all the additional details on Series X if you remain still to look at the landscape for example, in Performance mode; while on base PS5 Performance you are missing some of the additional details.

These infos come from an official article read back then, when the "next gen" update happened, specifically a bit after that update, because originally Series X wasn't that capable, but I think it was with the introduction of FSR support that its Performances mode got better and became essentially what we would expect from PS5 Pro - Obviously since PS5 Pro will be much more powerful than the Series X we could expect it to better maintain the higher resolution while in Performance, even in situations where Xbox struggles.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Right now Performance mode doesn’t seem to be able to provide a constant 60 fps at all times in this game. There is a lot of stuttering at what looks like less than 30 fps after interacting with npc merchants and I am seeing black silhouettes of characters near wayshrines again. Someone should look into that first.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• kmufc77b16_ESO
    kmufc77b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Right now Performance mode doesn’t seem to be able to provide a constant 60 fps at all times in this game. There is a lot of stuttering at what looks like less than 30 fps after interacting with npc merchants and I am seeing black silhouettes of characters near wayshrines again. Someone should look into that first.

Im playing on quality mode because of this, the DRS is really bad and causes major stutters - FPS drops. Some zones the fidelity looks really bad on performance mode to me, not everywhere! but a lot of places.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Im playing on quality mode because of this, the DRS is really bad and causes major stutters - FPS drops. Some zones the fidelity looks really bad on performance mode to me, not everywhere! but a lot of places.

I haven’t used Fidelity mode lately, but Performance always had a better frame rate because it sacrifices resolution for a smooth frame rate. When it is working, at least.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't need the game updated 10 percent for the PS5 Pro owners to take advantage of the console.

We need the last gen, 11 year old consoles that are holding the game back, dropped, so the game can move on. We are almost halfway to the PS6 and the last gen consoles are still being supported.

@DirtyDeeds765
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't need the game updated 10 percent for the PS5 Pro owners to take advantage of the console.

We need the last gen, 11 year old consoles that are holding the game back, dropped, so the game can move on. We are almost halfway to the PS6 and the last gen consoles are still being supported.

@DirtyDeeds765

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/

See the business segment meeting report linked at bottom of page. A full half the PlayStation user base still uses PS4 so your suggestion may not be commercially sensible.
  • Bammlschwamml
    Bammlschwamml
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason why PC players should have more options in the settings than console players nowadays?

I don't want to choose between 2-3 bad options. I want to find the sweetspot between performance, looks, power consumption, fan noise etc. myself.
  • Bammlschwamml
    Bammlschwamml
    ✭✭✭

They already kind of did. Playing on old gen consoles is horrible. And it gets worse with every update.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason why PC players should have more options in the settings than console players nowadays?

I don't want to choose between 2-3 bad options. I want to find the sweetspot between performance, looks, power consumption, fan noise etc. myself.

That would be awesome. Even though they rolled back a lot of the terrible fog for the console enhanced version there is still way too much, I’d like to be able to clear up more of it.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did they ever roll back the forced 30FPS mode on console? What would be the point of "supporting" a "pro" version of the PS5 if they're still purposely limiting the current version (on current hardware that's already capable of doing more) in the name of doing something "green" for the sake of institutional investors and aligning with Microsoft's internal goals? If not, it makes the whole question moot, doesn't it?
    Edited by dk_dunkirk on September 20, 2024 7:22PM
  • kmufc77b16_ESO
    kmufc77b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Its took me a good 4-5 weeks to get used to 30FPS but im there now i don't notice the lower framerates' hardly ever now and its a constant 4K without the awful DRS which the game can not keep up with. Its the worse DSR ive seen in a game on PS tbh. The black silhouettes ive also noticed, i can remember seeing this when i played on PC yrs ago before the servers were upgraded, something is not right currently with the game for sure performance wise.
    Edited by kmufc77b16_ESO on September 20, 2024 9:47PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    We don't have any updated to share today about the PS5 Pro. We'll share that the question is being asked in the community though. We saw a few comments during the livestream asking.

Hopefully you guys decide to support PS5 Pro like you did the PS4 Pro. It's time that ESO is finally able to run 4k and 60 fps in fidelity graphics on console.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dk_dunkirk wrote: »
    Did they ever roll back the forced 30FPS mode on console? What would be the point of "supporting" a "pro" version of the PS5 if they're still purposely limiting the current version (on current hardware that's already capable of doing more) in the name of doing something "green" for the sake of institutional investors and aligning with Microsoft's internal goals? If not, it makes the whole question moot, doesn't it?

I was looking yesterday while farming mats and I don’t think it is dropping to 30 fps like it was initially, I think they rolled that one back, thankfully.

I always wondered what Sony would think of a software company owned by Microsoft that limited their hardware performance to less than what they advertised. Like I said, if I am playing I am supposed to get 60 fps guaranteed. Go plant a tree somewhere if you don’t like it.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't ESO Cpu bound in the most strenuous situations? Isn't the Cpu in the PS5 pro the same as the one in the PS5?
  • kmufc77b16_ESO
    kmufc77b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Isn't ESO Cpu bound in the most strenuous situations? Isn't the Cpu in the PS5 pro the same as the one in the PS5?

Yes, but the Pro will use PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution which is similar to Nvidia DLSS and AMD's FSR. This technology will work on all PS games but will need a patch to implement it from the developers
    Edited by kmufc77b16_ESO on September 24, 2024 10:50AM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Yes, but the Pro will use PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution which is similar to Nvidia DLSS and AMD's FSR. This technology will work on all PS games but will need a patch to implement it from the developers

DLSS, FSR, XESS and PSSR all allow for a lower internal resolution rendering, which will certainly benefit the GPU as high resolutions are generally only intensive on the GPU. But again I don't see how this will help ESO run much better in the situations where ESO struggles.

I guess the PS5Pro will allow maximum eye candy settings if the PS5 isn't already there ( I thought it already was really high on PS5 but I don't really know since I play on PC), but that's true of any GPU since around 10 years ago.
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about resolution I just want the frame rate increase I'll play 1080p if I can get 100 plus fps
    Gold Company Commander
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at all these developers talking about what they’re doing with the power of the PS5 Pro in so many different major games.

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/09/24/ps5-pro-developers-share-how-theyre-using-new-tech-to-enhance-their-games/

Hint hint Zenimax! :smile: