Siege of Cyrodiil Merits: Why the wait?

fall0athboy
fall0athboy
✭✭✭✭
What is the reasoning behind only getting one Siege of Cyrodiil Merit (or Arena Gladiator's Proof) once per 20 hours from a coffer?
  • GeneralGrundmann
    GeneralGrundmann
    ✭✭✭
    To have the players log in regularly.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To drip feed us rewards via artificial extension of content so that we continue to do certain tasks every day/so that we don't run out of things to earn too quickly.

Though I actually feel that they could snag us with FOMO far better if all four gladiators rucksacks from conquest missions would drop 1 arena gladiator token each for a total of 4 a day. If there's no good fights happening, I'm only inclined to get 3 keeps/capture resources done then leave.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real problem is that the armor and weapon style pages and costumes you can buy with these proofs are not marketable any longer. So no reason to even bother with the whole system now.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To drip feed us rewards via artificial extension of content so that we continue to do certain tasks every day/so that we don't run out of things to earn too quickly.

Though I actually feel that they could snag us with FOMO far better if all four gladiators rucksacks from conquest missions would drop 1 arena gladiator token each for a total of 4 a day. If there's no good fights happening, I'm only inclined to get 3 keeps/capture resources done then leave.

i wouldnt necessarily say FOMO for this

it feels like just an annoyance, and there would be a ton more incentive to actually do all of the quests every day

during the event involving IC in january, i actually accrued about 130 siegemaster coffers from that event, im still opening them (the character is down to a bit under 70 left now, mostly because im not always 100% consistent opening them every day lol)

the only reason i can guess they limited the gain rate on these was to basically add forced scarcity on the items you can purchase with them (gladiator outfit, timerbcrow outfit, knight of the circle style pages, etc)

so its more just annoyance that it takes 50 days to accrue enough of them to get some of the items
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the reasoning behind only getting one Siege of Cyrodiil Merit (or Arena Gladiator's Proof) once per 20 hours from a coffer?

Merits and Proofs reset on the universal timer, not after 20 hours anymore. They changed this with Update 37 last year.
    JustLovely wrote: »
    The real problem is that the armor and weapon style pages and costumes you can buy with these proofs are not marketable any longer. So no reason to even bother with the whole system now.

Some of the more recent of those were intentionally never marketable: for those who want the Gravegrasp style or Unkindness of Ravens, they must earn the merits themselves. That’s 140 and 50 days, respectively, of opening IC coffers. Even if one were to do all the district quests at once and open the coffers over the course of the week, it would require the same person to return quite a bit to get enough coffers and then remember to open them once per day. You could theoretically get enough coffers for both collectibles by doing all the dailies every day for just a month, but it would take up the majority of that character’s inventory capacity to store them while the cooldowns play out.

The BoP approach doesn’t give farmers any more to do, but it gets more people into IC than who otherwise would have been there. And the cooldowns keep them having to engage with the system over the course of several months (over half a year for both of these items) rather than just one.
  • GuuMoonRyoung
    GuuMoonRyoung
    ✭✭✭✭

Artificial padding to increase play time and create daily player engagement, common practice since the dawn of live service games in the mid 90s.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Merits and Proofs reset on the universal timer, not after 20 hours anymore. They changed this with Update 37 last year.

Some of the more recent of those were intentionally never marketable: for those who want the Gravegrasp style or Unkindness of Ravens, they must earn the merits themselves. That’s 140 and 50 days, respectively, of opening IC coffers. Even if one were to do all the district quests at once and open the coffers over the course of the week, it would require the same person to return quite a bit to get enough coffers and then remember to open them once per day. You could theoretically get enough coffers for both collectibles by doing all the dailies every day for just a month, but it would take up the majority of that character’s inventory capacity to store them while the cooldowns play out.

The BoP approach doesn’t give farmers any more to do, but it gets more people into IC than who otherwise would have been there. And the cooldowns keep them having to engage with the system over the course of several months (over half a year for both of these items) rather than just one.

most of the annoyance i get about these coffers is that they dont stack, so even if you do stockpile them you will eventually run out of room fairly quickly
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since when are they not marketable? I've been selling Timbercrow boxes for years - true I've had to drop the price significantly of late (probably down 40% on what I used to get prior to that update) but they did still sell.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since when are they not marketable? I've been selling Timbercrow boxes for years - true I've had to drop the price significantly of late (probably down 40% on what I used to get prior to that update) but they did still sell.

I have one of those costumes in guild store right now for 369,000 gold. That is less than 50% of what TTC says it's worth and the lowest price on TTC right now. It hasn't sold in over a month and I'm not going to list it a third time.

That's 50 days of doing the IC daily to get a box/costume I can't sell. The market is even worse for the Knight of the Circle weapons and armor pieces, some of which sold quickly for over 4 million just a few months ago.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really think drop cooldowns in general are bad game design, especially since the cooldowns are not posted anywhere within the game. In ESO's case it is simply to artificially inflate metrics.
  • forum_gpt
    forum_gpt
    ✭✭✭
    I did the dailys for 20 days straight trying to get the Gravegrasp Helm and got the girdle instead. :#:'(
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of those costumes in guild store right now for 369,000 gold. That is less than 50% of what TTC says it's worth and the lowest price on TTC right now. It hasn't sold in over a month and I'm not going to list it a third time.

That's 50 days of doing the IC daily to get a box/costume I can't sell. The market is even worse for the Knight of the Circle weapons and armor pieces, some of which sold quickly for over 4 million just a few months ago.

I'm going to keep doing my one IC daily. If the box doesn't sell, maybe I'll keep it a while in the hope the price rises again. Or maybe try a different item. It's not like it's real money or anything afterall.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To keep you doing those dailies as long as possible. That is why the latest collectibles added like Gravegrasp style or the bodymarkings are no longer tradeable and I strongly suspect that future ones will also all be BoP.