The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

DK - usefulness of spiked armor

Mercurio75
Mercurio75
Soul Shriven
For my DK I chose the role of a tank. I was under the impression going for heavy armor (5pieces) is a solid choice because of the additinal armor and the armor skill line.
However, I easilly reach the armor "cap" where additional armor does not scale fortunate.
I heavily used spiked armor until I realized the armor "cap". So how useful is spiked armor? I guess (or better hope) that the reflected melee damage helps to keep me on top of the mob's hate list but I am not sure about the game-mechanics. To be honest I don't feel a big difference with spiked armor active or not. But I am still low-level...
What do you think, is it worth going for spiked armor? Or is my armor setup not suitable for a tank meaning I should include more medium or light armor pieces?
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the skill up permanently switch to other armor types to reach those soft caps :)
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Mercurio75
    Mercurio75
    Soul Shriven
    I reach the soft cap without spiked armor. At least I think so due to the information on the characters tab.

edit:
    To me this looks like spiked armor is for tanks without heavy armor which is in my oppinion ridiculous. Or do I miss something important here?
    Edited by Mercurio75 on April 3, 2014 2:04PM
  • DeathTrap
    DeathTrap
    ✭✭
    Mercurio75 wrote: »
    To me this looks like spiked armor is for tanks without heavy armor which is in my oppinion ridiculous. Or do I miss something important here?

You are missing something important - being able to play how you like and the flexibility of the ESO system. Armor Spikes allow Dragon Knights to tank in light or medium armor, to gain all the benefits those armor types provide, at the expense of a skill slot (and to have to constantly recast it and keep in mind the Magicka cost).
    Cake is a lie. Pie is truth. Cookies are uncertainty. Muffins are the minions of a false God.
  • Mercurio75
    Mercurio75
    Soul Shriven
    DeathTrap wrote: »
    Mercurio75 wrote: »

You are missing something important - being able to play how you like and the flexibility of the ESO system. Armor Spikes allow Dragon Knights to tank in light or medium armor, to gain all the benefits those armor types provide, at the expense of a skill slot (and to have to constantly recast it and keep in mind the Magicka cost).

Ok, got it. It seems I have to expand my thinkings and experiment more :)
  • yogarogue
    yogarogue
    ✭✭
    Yah. I will leave armor spikes out of the hotbar for good. With a 5 piece set of heavy armor ( which I recommend whole heartedly for a tank due to passives) it becomes unnecessary. So now you have 1 free spot on your hotbar for another skill! Yay! Use it wisely. I recommend a utility driven skill or CC for handling those nasty mobs.
  • Mercurio75
    Mercurio75
    Soul Shriven
    Yep, I'll switch it with dark talons...