The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Alchemy ingredients

polynike
polynike
This is not meant as a criticism of the game as I am loving it, loving the ES feel to it and unlike other MMOs it doesn't feel like a sprint to end game.

But do any of your guys feel limited by the amount of ingredients available to the alchemists out there? I know we are used to more variety in the normal ES games and perhaps such a variety in not possible in an MMO, but I feel somewhat constricted in by ability to develop my Sorcerer character due to lack of ingredients.

Anything in the scuttlebutt on expanding this area of the game?
Edited by polynike on April 3, 2014 6:29AM
  • Kelara
    Kelara
    Soul Shriven
    I was very surprised when I found out there were only 18 ingredients. Then I realised that in the other games, while I loved alchemy and mixing things, I only kept certain potions in the end. So I guess I can live with it. I'll have a better idea when I've found more plants and seen how much variety there is in the potions we can mix up.

Best outcome though, I'd love it if they would add some more.
  • NeptuneTide
    NeptuneTide
    ✭✭✭
    polynike wrote: »
    But do any of your guys feel limited by the amount of ingredients available to the alchemists out there?

I'm lvl 14 and still in Audrion and the limited amount of alchemical ingredients and the extended amount of time I spend trying to find those ingredients was sorely grating on my nerves yesterday and today!

Like @Kelara, I only use certain potions but finding enough hyacinths and columbine to make health potions is aggravating! Really, I feel like I farm the crap out of certain areas trying to get enough ingredients.

I'd like to see either a more diverse plant base to choose from or simply adding more plants to harvest.
    "It's always a delicious mystery, cracking open a book for the first time." ~ Valaste
  • Kelara
    Kelara
    Soul Shriven
    There are a couple of other things that will make health potions btw. Don't know if they grow where you are. Do you have 'keen eye'? I was being all hardcore RP and scorning it because I was using my 'real' eyes, but the amount of reagents I've found since I caved and got keen eye has easily doubled.
  • Destabilizator
    I quite love the thing that the herbs are still the same and you use better solvents (I've found yday, after 27 char lvls, that you can gather that bubbling water in river, eh). That way I can pick herbs anywhere and know what to do.
    What Alchemy is missing is use for those negative effects, some herbs have 3 negative and 1 positive effects just limiting their use. So either let us make poisons or if we have negative effect on the potion, buff the positive to compensate, so you actually have to think how you want it.
    At the moment there is no reason to have potion with negative effect, as you can reach the desired function without it, just use other herb.
    Oh and burning 3 herbs instead of 2 should yield more inspiration. Now you have to decide if you want weaker pots but more IP or usable pots but less IP.
    Vertor et revertor.