A very expensive mistake...

MidniteOwl1913
MidniteOwl1913
✭✭✭✭✭
Today I was making a Gold Jewelry writ at my guilds master station. I finished it and thought, hmm. I have a enchanting writ I could do that one too while I'm here and turn them in at the same time. That one went fine too.

I travel to Mounhold and turn in the enchanting writ expecting the quest marker for the jewelry writ to pop up. It doesn't. Look at the guest it says make the ring. I look in my inventory, yup it's there. I think (and this was *really* dumb) I'll just abandon the quest and it might recognize the ring, nope. Now I have a very expensive ring and no quest to use it with.

I don't know if this is a bug, but I don't think it would work this way if it isn't. Accepting the second contract broke the link between the ring I had already made and the quest. I don't think I should be able to accept a second contract if it negates the first.

In any case 112 writ voucher fully golded ring down the drain... A very expensive lesson...

PS5/NA
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done hundreds of master writs and I've never seen an existing master writ quest become bugged by accepting another. I always do multiple; as many as I can.

However, I have mistakenly crafted an item with the wrong or no set.
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desiato wrote: »
    I've done hundreds of master writs and I've never seen an existing master writ quest become bugged by accepting another. I always do multiple; as many as I can.

Been there, done that.

Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Been there, done that.

Same, really kicked myself too.

Options
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can try and find writ for sale that asks for what you crafted already
    Options
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you accidently bind that ring?
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »

Right, or lock it to prevent accidental deconstruction? (I've done that more times than I care to admit.)

Also, I'm not sure about levels. Would CP160 jewelry satisfy the writ, or does it have to be CP150?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Right, or lock it to prevent accidental deconstruction? (I've done that more times than I care to admit.)

Also, I'm not sure about levels. Would CP160 jewelry satisfy the writ, or does it have to be CP150?

pretty sure its 150...

PC EU
    UTC+10:00
    Tin-can-and-string internet

Ald Chimeris
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »

pretty sure its 150...

That's what I thought, because I think I remember running into a problem once by accidentally crafting a CP160 item instead of a CP150 item. So maybe the jewelry was crafted at CP160 instead of CP150?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »

pretty sure its 150...

That's what I thought, because I think I remember running into a problem once by accidentally crafting a CP160 item instead of a CP150 item. So maybe the jewelry was crafted at CP160 instead of CP150?

Is the CP150 a stated requirement on Master Writs?

I've assumed for most of my time doing Master Writs that it would accept CP150 or CP160.
    I'm pretty sure I did CP160 at least a couple of times, in the beginning, because I assumed (back then) that it was required for a Master Writ. But then I noticed that it would accept CP150, so that's what I do now, because why go to CP160 (thus using more mats) if you don't have to.

EDIT: I'm going to possibly waste a Master Writ to test this out... craft a CP160 item.

EDIT 2: Master Writs will accept either CP150 or CP160 (default is CP150, but you can change it to CP160, although the difference in the number of rubedite ingots needed is a factor of ten; 13 for CP150, 130 for CP160.)
    G4SoBtv.png

UNLESS, it is, for some silly reason, different for Master Jewelry Writs, which I don't think I have enough mats to test.

EDIT 3: Nope. It's not different for Jewelry. CP150 or CP160 works.
    1rKlDrE.png
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on June 24, 2024 2:08PM
      PC/NA Warden Main
      Options
    • BXR_Lonestar
      BXR_Lonestar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Today I was making a Gold Jewelry writ at my guilds master station. I finished it and thought, hmm. I have a enchanting writ I could do that one too while I'm here and turn them in at the same time. That one went fine too.

I travel to Mounhold and turn in the enchanting writ expecting the quest marker for the jewelry writ to pop up. It doesn't. Look at the guest it says make the ring. I look in my inventory, yup it's there. I think (and this was *really* dumb) I'll just abandon the quest and it might recognize the ring, nope. Now I have a very expensive ring and no quest to use it with.

I don't know if this is a bug, but I don't think it would work this way if it isn't. Accepting the second contract broke the link between the ring I had already made and the quest. I don't think I should be able to accept a second contract if it negates the first.

In any case 112 writ voucher fully golded ring down the drain... A very expensive lesson...

Did you happen to make the ring at the wrong CP level? It's been a while since I've done one of these, but my recollection is if you make it at the wrong CP level, it also won't count as making it for the purposes of crafting the item.
      Options
    • katanagirl1
      katanagirl1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Did you happen to make the ring at the wrong CP level? It's been a while since I've done one of these, but my recollection is if you make it at the wrong CP level, it also won't count as making it for the purposes of crafting the item.

Master writs for metalworking call for items in rubedite. That should be either cp150 or cp160. Not sure about jewelry, doesn’t it just say platinum? Either should work there too.

EDIT: perhaps you crafts a non-set jewelry piece instead? That is an easy thing to do.
      Edited by katanagirl1 on June 24, 2024 4:02PM
      Khajiit Stamblade
      Dark Elf Magsorc
      Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
      Orc Stamplar PVP
      Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
    • ghastley
      ghastley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have made a ring when the writ was for a necklace before. And the number of superb / truly superb switches are countless.
      Options
    • kringled_1
      kringled_1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      ghastley wrote: »
      I have made a ring when the writ was for a necklace before. And the number of superb / truly superb switches are countless.

It's easier than it should be to make the wrong piece for jewelry, as the order can swap (sometimes ring is on the left, sometimes necklace) depending on which set is picked.
      Options
    • MidniteOwl1913
      MidniteOwl1913
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the "deliver the jewelry" notice before I decided to craft the second writ. It was correct.
      PS5/NA
      Options
    • barney2525
      barney2525
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      when I first started playing, before the outfitter, one of the first sets I crafted was to go to another character.

I decided to try it on to see what it looked like before sending it.

Oops.

:#
      Options
    • Elvenheart
      Elvenheart
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I made a similar mistake once, I accepted a crafting writ without paying attention to any of the details it required. When I looked, I was shocked and horrified that (at the time) the ingredients were so expensive that to me it would not be worth making the item for the measly points it gave. So I deleted the quest, then realized the writ was gone so I couldn’t even put it on a guild trader.
      Edited by Elvenheart on June 24, 2024 9:28PM
      Options
    • ESO_player123
      ESO_player123
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the "deliver the jewelry" notice before I decided to craft the second writ. It was correct.

Did you lock the item by any chance?
      Options
    • MasterSpatula
      MasterSpatula
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Edit, never mind, misunderstood the issue.
      Edited by MasterSpatula on June 24, 2024 11:50PM
      "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
      Options
    • Alinhbo_Tyaka
      Alinhbo_Tyaka
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

Yes, yes. Upgraded to a Legendary when the writ called for Epic. Sometimes it isn't good to run on autopilot.
      Options
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, yes. Upgraded to a Legendary when the writ called for Epic. Sometimes it isn't good to run on autopilot.

Yup. Been there done that. *sigh*

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
      Options
    • MidniteOwl1913
      MidniteOwl1913
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you lock the item by any chance?

No, I wouldn't even know how...
      PS5/NA
      Options
    • Araneae6537
      Araneae6537
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, sooo aggravating, can’t the patron just accept their good fortune in getting an item of even better quality than they’re paying for? :joy:
      Options