My One Ask: Resource Costs

OutlawShadow
OutlawShadow
✭✭
First, I want to give a shoutout and a thank you to the devs and community for being awesome. This post is made with love from a player with average skill that has played on and off since beta. I have my monkey and everything.

I would like to see all skills have either:
1) Resource costs for most skills(or at least more) based on highest/lowest resource
-or-
2) A way to set the resource used per skill (probably the least likely)
-or-
3) Have heavy attacks refill the highest resource, regardless of weapon type (and maybe a little of the secondary resource, or maybe let us choose which resource gets charged on each weapon bar?)

Why and reasoning. I know that every class can technically be played any way. You can use specific morphs to align some skills with either Stam or Mag. HOWEVER! The skills you can morph are in the minority of many classes. This goes against the core concept (in my opinion) of ESO's "Play Your Way" ethos.

There have been times when I take a morph for a skill only because its what my build can use (resource wise), not because it's what I wanted to use, or what sounds coolest. An example would be running a pure melee Sorc that uses mostly class abilities. It's doable, sure, but you can ignore a good portion of the Sorc's skills, unless you don't want to be pure melee and grab a staff. Most likely you will just end up being a character that uses weapon skills with a couple class skills. That's not very "Play Your Way."

I know scribing has shifted this substantially. However, you are then just shoe-horned into using scribed abilities, and still unable to use the abilities you may truly want to. I also know about respeccing and the armory system, but those ignore the core concept I would like to see tweaked.

To keep this from hitting TLDR territory, I'll end it here. I think I've conveyed my general idea well enough. I'm still going to play, I'd just be much happier playing my way (entitled I know :P ).

I love each and every one of you and hope you are having an amazing day, and, if not, I hope it goes better.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO's play how you want refers to there being content for everyone and many ways to build, not that every way of building works. Arcanist's highest/lowest resource changing the cost mechanic makes magarc "stamarc but worse", leaving there with absolutely no reason to even play magarc. And that's coming from someone who encourages off-meta builds if someone wants to use an off-meta build. Having every skill be like that would ruin class diversity even further. I think instead, there needs to be viable stam and viable mag morphs of every skill.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • OutlawShadow
    OutlawShadow
    ✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    ESO's play how you want refers to there being content for everyone and many ways to build, not that every way of building works. Arcanist's highest/lowest resource changing the cost mechanic makes magarc "stamarc but worse", leaving there with absolutely no reason to even play magarc. And that's coming from someone who encourages off-meta builds if someone wants to use an off-meta build. Having every skill be like that would ruin class diversity even further. I think instead, there needs to be viable stam and viable mag morphs of every skill.

May I ask for further clarification? My recommendation was that all morphs would be useable. Is the current Mag morph the best, but you are running Stam? Well, with the change I asked for, you would be able to take the best morph, regardless of Stam or Mag.

That was kinda my point. We shouldn't be locked out of certain morphs due to resource options for classes. The abilities themselves wouldn't change, only the resource used, or method of resource regeneration.

I feel it would increase class diversity because people would be using more class skills because they have the option to use any skill with any morph without worrying about which resource is used. More viable ways to play each class means a more diverse class.
    Options
  • Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    The weaponization of the "Play how you want" mantra to complain about literally every aspect on the game because you can't make one specific niche build to run in overland content, that dies in one shot anyway, needs to stop.

Play how you want doesn't mean you get unlimited customisations.

It means you can play any class you want, in any role you want, and clear the games content.

You can play melee Sorc and have max Magicka and use all the class skills because they cost magicka. You do not need to play stamina or have stamina morphs to play dual wield. Haven't since the beginning of the game.

If your resource management sucks, fix that rather than trying to change heavy attacks or every skill in the game.
    PC EU > You
    Options
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1+#3: That would absolutely obliterate hybrid resource management.

#2: that would remove resource cost as balancing parameter and single recovery stacking would be the most op stat due to increasing returns

Neither would be as good for you/the game as you think.

Edit: Of course not the #3 variant with the stuff in the brackets. That is actually intriguing.
    Edited by Vaqual on June 27, 2024 11:16AM
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i like number 3.
    i would love it if my weapon refills my highest resource even if it's a bow for Magicka or a staff for Stamina.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options