Please add inactivity penalty to Tales of Tribute

HazelRose
HazelRose
✭✭✭
Please add a penalty to players trying frustrate their opponents into conceding. For example, if you don't click anything for 5 seconds, your turn time is decreased for that turn.

I have so many Tales of Tribute matches where the opponent takes the entire turn time for no reason, particularly at the start of the match. Players will make their move and never click the hourglass. If I waste 10 minutes waiting through their nonsense, then suddenly they are able to quickly complete their turns. Tales of Tribute is basically unplayable due to it being a colossal waste of time. These players are basically bots at this point, please get rid of them.
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭
    There already is a timer in effect. Your match won't last any longer than that. If you can't be bothered to play for the maximum time allowed, don't play. There are still people trying to learn. They deserve the same chance you had.

Yes some people are trolls. That's what you get for playing MMO's. Deal with it or don't play.
    Edited by Veryamedliel on June 23, 2024 8:34AM
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I would like to see something done about the timer, the play you described sounds like a new person rather than a troll. And that should not be punished. Most trolls make their move and then let the timer run out on purpose, rather than waiting a little while and then making a move quickly. The latter is someone thinking, which ofc should be allowed.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 23, 2024 10:04AM
    Options
  • HazelRose
    HazelRose
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. The opponent did make their move and then let the timer run out of time on purpose for the first half of the match. After the match was 3/4 complete, then they started taking their turns quickly.

Perhaps ZOS could reduce the turn time only for the initial moves, and increase the allowable move time as player deck size increases.
    Options
  • ShadowPaladin
    ShadowPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think ZOS should change the time system for ToT to something like this...

At the start of the match a timer will be set to - lets say - 5min. Both players will have a separate timer. Each time a players turn starts, the timer beginns to count down.

Now, if a player completes his turn, he will get 5 sec added back to the timer, perhaps even a bit more (e.g. 10 sec), which needs to be tested first. But, important is, that if he does not complete his turn and the timer runs out, he will loose the match.

With this there would be a maximum timerframe set on how long a match can be - 5 min. Players can get back some time - 5 or 10 sec - BUT that wouldn't increase the maximum duration of the match too much, since it is not always possible to complete a turn in less than 5 sec or 10 sec.

A TCG (trading card game) I play on my smartphone uses a similar time-system (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links) and I do like it :smile: . You can't artificially prolong a match. You exactly know how much time there is and that if the other player takes for ever, you will win within 4 min :grin: !
    Options
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HazelRose wrote: »
    Please add a penalty to players trying frustrate their opponents into conceding. For example, if you don't click anything for 5 seconds, your turn time is decreased for that turn.

I have so many Tales of Tribute matches where the opponent takes the entire turn time for no reason, particularly at the start of the match. Players will make their move and never click the hourglass. If I waste 10 minutes waiting through their nonsense, then suddenly they are able to quickly complete their turns. Tales of Tribute is basically unplayable due to it being a colossal waste of time. These players are basically bots at this point, please get rid of them.

Reading this, I can just think of one word: Gamesmanship.

I don't see any cheating or underhanded tactics here, they're playing within the rules of the game and accomplishing what they want.

Or...

They could be extra busy and need that extra time at the start of the game to get the crying baby/hungry dog/important phone call/significant other aggro/end of the world coming out of the way before they focus on the game.
    Antiquities Addict
    Options
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why people are downplaying the original post. This is something A LOT of players do deliberately to try to force people to concede. They are NOT, on the whole, new players. You can see when it's new players because they make mistakes, or forget to hit the timer once and then never let the timer run down in any subsequent turn because they've realised. Instead, this is most often the same players doing this day in, day out.

One obvious solution is to allow us to block players.
    Edited by Northwold on June 23, 2024 8:43PM
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are downplaying the original post. This is something A LOT of players do deliberately to try to force people to concede. They are NOT, on the whole, new players. You can see when it's new players because they make mistakes, or forget to hit the timer once and then never let the timer run down in any subsequent turn because they've realised. Instead, this is most often the same players doing this day in, day out.

I do not think that it's a viable solution as people will abuse it to block good players.
    Options
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think that it's a viable solution as people will abuse it to block good players.

Fair. Then one possibility is (suggested by a number of people before) escalating allowed time depending on the turn, so it's not possible for people to troll delay the game from turn one onwards.
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »

I don't see any cheating or underhanded tactics here, they're playing within the rules of the game and accomplishing what they want.

Or...

They could be extra busy and need that extra time at the start of the game to get the crying baby/hungry dog/important phone call/significant other aggro/end of the world coming out of the way before they focus on the game.

yes they are playing within the rules and that is why the OP is asking for a rule change. And if you are extra busy don't start a game or if you are in a game bow out. People shouldn't have to wait on you in a game because you have something else to do. Real life does take precedent but only for you. Others shouldn't have to sit through you running off and doing other things.

Going on a bit of a tangent I was willing to give the game a try even though I usually don't like those types of card games. My first real opponent flipped a patron on his first turn and then flipped another on his third turn. When I flipped one back to neutral my opponent quit and the game was determined to be a draw. Haven't played the card game since. Was obvious my opponent wanted a quick win and quit seeing that wouldn't happen.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

Or...

yes they are playing within the rules and that is why the OP is asking for a rule change. And if you are extra busy don't start a game or if you are in a game bow out. People shouldn't have to wait on you in a game because you have something else to do. Real life does take precedent but only for you. Others shouldn't have to sit through you running off and doing other things.

Going on a bit of a tangent I was willing to give the game a try even though I usually don't like those types of card games. My first real opponent flipped a patron on his first turn and then flipped another on his third turn. When I flipped one back to neutral my opponent quit and the game was determined to be a draw. Haven't played the card game since. Was obvious my opponent wanted a quick win and quit seeing that wouldn't happen.

May be I misunderstood your post but there are no draws in ToT. Only win or loss.
    Edited by ESO_player123 on June 23, 2024 9:04PM
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or...

May be I misunderstood your post but there are no draws in ToT. Only win or loss.

I believe that might have been changed but not sure. I do know when the other player left I was not credited with a win and when I asked about it in forums others told me that wasn't a bug but what happens. If it was changed then good the change was needed. Still don't think I'm going to go back and try again. Not worth the frustration when there is so many other fun things to do in the game.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or...

I believe that might have been changed but not sure. I do know when the other player left I was not credited with a win and when I asked about it in forums others told me that wasn't a bug but what happens. If it was changed then good the change was needed. Still don't think I'm going to go back and try again. Not worth the frustration when there is so many other fun things to do in the game.

There was a bug at the very beginning where if someone left, it wouldn't credit you for a win. Some people abused it to annoy people but it was patched somewhat early.
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Or...

There was a bug at the very beginning where if someone left, it wouldn't credit you for a win. Some people abused it to annoy people but it was patched somewhat early.

Yes, now I remember that too. But it was fixed quickly and soooo long ago.
    Options
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. The opponent did make their move and then let the timer run out of time on purpose for the first half of the match. After the match was 3/4 complete, then they started taking their turns quickly.

the opponent suddenly had a sleeping baby crying, which needed to be given some time, and after 5 minutes the child fell asleep.
    Yes, when the opponent is not It plays in your rhythm, it's annoying. But we must remember that there is not necessarily a troll sitting on the other end of the cable
    Options
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps ZOS could reduce the turn time only for the initial moves, and increase the allowable move time as player deck size increases.

A beginner who is just learning the game needs all the time to study the cards and figure out how to use them. It's just ridiculous to limit him from the first moves.
    Options
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭

It's called tactics.
    if the opponent makes long moves, I just press alt+tab
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's called tactics.

It's called griefing in any other multiplayer game.
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A beginner who is just learning the game needs all the time to study the cards and figure out how to use them. It's just ridiculous to limit him from the first moves.

While a new player definitely needs more time to make their move (and that is normal and should be expected), studying the cards and figuring out how to use them should be done while playing against an NPC. Once a player is familiar with the cards and what they do then it's time to try against other players.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an old video from when I was new (and so was the game) to showcase the issue.

In this video you can see an example of a turn that goes long because of a beginner thinking (my turn). You can see that while decisions are slow to be made, there's stuff happening throughout the turn.

And then you can see someone deliberately drag out the turn out of spite. There's no moves made at all. They just let things go on forever.

You can also see them deliberately exploit the old concede bug to deny me the rewards for beating them. I push the game past 40, so all they needed to end the game properly was end there turn. And I would have gotten my rewards. Instead, they drag out the turn for a bit and then open up their options and press concede. Doing it that way takes more effort than ending the turn. My opponent was very clearly a sore loser who went out of their way to punish me for winning.
    https://youtu.be/gwGqn7MnWRQ

Yup, people do this mostly to be a sore loser. I can't imagine it usually works as anything more.

The bug has since been patched, thankfully. But there's still nothing done about this type of afk griefing.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 24, 2024 1:47AM
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's ToT. What do you expect? If players are looking for engagement they will be playing the actual game.

Edited by SaffronCitrusflower on June 24, 2024 1:53AM
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ToT. What do you expect? If players are looking for engagement they will be playing the actual game.

I would expect people who like ToT to play ToT. All multiplayer games have sore losers. That's why there are generally mechanics and rules in place to mitigate their damage.
    Options
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭

It's called tactics.

Funny. Please do explain where the grieving is. Exactly. You cannot grieve in ToT. There's a time limit in effect, designed by Zos. There are no ways around it and they are using the time they are given. That's not grieving. That's your impatience speaking. Stop projecting.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's called tactics.

Funny. Please do explain where the grieving is. Exactly. You cannot grieve in ToT. There's a time limit in effect, designed by Zos. There are no ways around it and they are using the time they are given. That's not grieving. That's your impatience speaking. Stop projecting.

Afk'ing in a PvP match is generally a reportable offense in other multiplayer games. It is griefing because it deprives the other player of their ability to play properly. Watch the video I linked of the problem OP attempted to discuss, and you can see plain as day they are NOT just using the time they are given. They are throwing and wasting time in the hope that you'll quit.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 24, 2024 10:10AM
    Options
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭

It's called tactics.

Afk'ing in a PvP match is generally a reportable offense in other multiplayer games. It is griefing because it deprives the other player of their ability to play properly. Watch the video I linked of the problem OP attempted to discuss, and you can see plain as day they are NOT just using the time they are given. They are throwing and wasting time in the hope that you'll quit.

First, you'd be funny if it wasn't so sad at the same time. Calling a card game a PVP match is stretching the very imagination of the definition of the word. Besides, being afk in real PVP griefs your team mates, not your opponent. So your argument doesn't fly here. You have no team to grief.
    Second, nobody's preventing you from playing properly. No-one is stopping you from playing, activating or drawing your cards in the way you want.
    Third, nobody's breaking any rules. It's perfectly valid to use the time you're given to play your turn. Long story short, there's no grieving by any definition. There's only your impatience crying for more matches.

Again, some people are plain trolls. You get them in every MMO. If you don't want to deal with them, don't play MMO's. If you do, expect to meet trolls and be prepared to deal with them. And no, 1 video does not prove that everyone who doesn't play their hands in 10 seconds are trolls. Again, stop projecting your impatience on others who don't do anything wrong.

Wait your turn like everyone else and be respectfully patient. That's how you play an MMO in a decent fashion. Imposing a penalty on new players just so you can play more matches is not how you play MMO's. That would be grieving, as are most silly time limit suggestions in this thread.

Feel free to request an ability to set specific rules for a game with friends. But leave the default gameplay alone. It's fine as it is.
    Edited by Veryamedliel on June 24, 2024 11:34AM
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's called tactics.

First, you'd be funny if it wasn't so sad at the same time. Calling a card game a PVP match is stretching the very imagination of the definition of the word. Besides, being afk in real PVP griefs your team mates, not your opponent. So your argument doesn't fly here. You have no team to grief.
    Second, nobody's preventing you from playing properly. No-one is stopping you from playing, activating or drawing your cards in the way you want.
    Third, nobody's breaking any rules. It's perfectly valid to use the time you're given to play your turn. Long story short, there's no grieving by any definition. There's only your impatience crying for more matches.

Again, some people are plain trolls. You get them in every MMO. If you don't want to deal with them, don't play MMO's. If you do, expect to meet trolls and be prepared to deal with them. And no, 1 video does not prove that everyone who doesn't play their hands in 10 seconds are trolls. Again, stop projecting your impatience on others who don't do anything wrong.

Wait your turn like everyone else and be respectfully patient. That's how you play an MMO in a decent fashion. Imposing a penalty on new players just so you can play more matches is not how you play MMO's. That would be grieving, as are most silly time limit suggestions in this thread.

Feel free to request an ability to set specific rules for a game with friends. But leave the default gameplay alone. It's fine as it is.

While PvP most often used to describe combat against other players in MMO the use of PvP in this situation is valid. It's indeed a match of a Player vs another Player (as opposite to against an NPC).

Any player that played enough of PvP matches can distinguish between a new player still figuring out the game and a player that is stalling on purpose to annoy the other player and try to force them to concede. Such a player is indeed griefing since they are using the rules of the game to make another player's experience unpleasant.

That said, I'm not advocating for adding the penalties described in this topic since they will hurt the new players.
    Options
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Afk'ing in a PvP match is generally a reportable offense in other multiplayer games. It is griefing because it deprives the other player of their ability to play properly.

Completely wrong!
    The game allows each player a certain time for a turn. The rules are pretty clear and both sides know them. How the players are using their time is 100% up to them. Even if a turn seems obvious to you doesn't mean it is obvious for your opponent. And even if it is obvious for your opponent, they might think about long term strategies during their time. Or they need to go to the bathroom, or whatever.
    Noone is entitled to tell anyone how fast they've got to play. There was a pretty famous Hearthstone player named Lifecoach, who used to rope almost each turn, trying to think ahead. That was just his play style. Of course, people got mad at him occasionally, but he never received any penalty for that.

Now.. if someone is clearly losing the game and decides to stall out of spite, THEN you can make an argument for grief play. But even then, you would need to be sure that the player in question is doing this intentionally and repeatedly and that it's not a "once off" situation.
    Stuff like this is happening pretty often in online chess. The difference is that in a chess game, you have ONE time pool instead of time per move, so stalling can really take quite some time so that is being punished by some websites.

And since we are talking about chess already: in a torunament chess game, it is perfectly ok to stand up, walk around, watch the other games and chill during a game, regardless whether it is your turn or your opponent's turn. And if you feel that this is wasting your time, you're at the wrong game.

Finally, I'd like to say that I find it rather funny that so many people are complaining about speed runners in dungeons and how they are ruining the game experience by trying to dictate the pace on others, but when someone is taking their time within the rules, it's also not correct?
    Edited by thorwyn on June 24, 2024 4:41PM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
    Options
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's called tactics.

ToT is not PvP. It's a card game.
    Options
  • HazelRose
    HazelRose
    ✭✭✭
    Well, since there seems to be some resistance to changing the timer for all players, what about adding a "fast" mode of game play? It could be for only the Unranked Casual games; I have no desire to mess with the leaderboards.

You could queue for a "fast" mode or "normal" mode. If a match cannot be found in "fast" mode within say 3 minutes, it asks if you would like to join the "normal" queue. Then "normal" is the default but some individuals can choose to play faster matches. If you choose a deck that takes a long amount of time in a "fast" mode, then that's on you.

Also, telling players to shut up and be miserable in their slow matches is short-sighted because it reduces the ToT player base. I only queue for one match per day because the matches can take forever. If there was a way to speed the matches up and make them short and fun, I'd queue sporadically throughout the day.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, you'd be funny if it wasn't so sad at the same time. Calling a card game a PVP match is stretching the very imagination of the definition of the word.

Factually incorrect. PvP stands for Player vs Player. It is used anytime an opponent is another human rather than an NPC. It is common place discussion of card games to call them PvP. This is video game industry standard terminology. And this is only game I have ever played that took a problem with it. I find it bizarre to say the least.

2ylopfyuxehd.jpg

Speaking of Hearthstone. Oh would you look at that. Intentionally losing (and afk'ing without playing any moves is a common form of intentionally losing in most games) is against the rules and griefing.

tsqs9z3q4jm9.jpg

You play another human being. You should actually have to play the game. It's griefing. Playing properly means both sides play cards with the specific intent of winning. I didn't want to play a draw card simulator. I wanted to play a match against an opponent who is trying to win. I am being denied that experience, which is a collosal waste of my time. Throwing by afk'ing is griefing in most games for a reason.
    And no, 1 video does not prove that everyone who doesn't play their hands in 10 seconds are trolls. Again, stop projecting your impatience on others who don't do anything wrong.

Good thing I explicitly stated the opposite of that!
    That would be grieving, as are most silly time limit suggestions in this thread.

I actually noted that I was against the OP's suggestion explicitly because it punished new players and ones taking time to think. But I acknowledged that the problem of people afk'ing to throw and grief exists. And I dug out that old video explicitly because it contained an example of all three things discussed in this thread; a player taking a while because they are new and need to think, a player griefing by going AFK, and the old bug that prevented a win from counting on concede.

If you are going to make a claim about someone's position, actually read their posts. I didn't state that whatsoever. In fact, I took the opposite stance. That I do not agree with the original posts solution.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 24, 2024 4:59PM
    Options
  • onyxorb
    onyxorb
    ✭✭✭
    I know some people are trolls, but I honestly don't know what I'm doing.
    Since it's ranked though I'm sure I'm never in a match with the real ToT Players. LOL

However, if they were to add a new feature, I'd REALLY love to have a checkbox for ToT that just allowed you to play with the 4 basic decks.

Games would go so much faster for doing dailies. Plus NO one would have to wait for me to take my WHOLE allotted time to read each and every card to figure out what exactly they do. :)
    Options