Idea for a new Undaunted Scribing skill with a Customizable Synergy

Erickson9610
Erickson9610
✭✭✭✭✭
All of the Undaunted skills feature a synergy which can be activated by allies, so what if the next Undaunted Grimoire features a synergy that can have its effects customized via the Focus, Signature, and Affix Scripts?

For instance, a single synergy from this skill could provide a buff, some healing, and some movement speed.

My original version of this post suggested that said Undaunted Grimoire could be a pet skill which utilized your equipped non-combat pet. However, there's no reason why this skill couldn't use a more traditional combat pet — like an atronach or a beast of some kind, akin to what Sorcerers and Wardens have — to allow any Class access to a permanent pet to make pet builds possible for everyone.
Edited by Erickson9610 on June 21, 2024 10:19PM
PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the synergy the skill provides is determined by the result of all of the equipped Scripts. For instance, a single synergy from this pet skill could provide a buff, some healing, and some movement speed.

As an example of this, here is a mockup of what this pet skill might look like if given the following Scripts:
    • Focus: Healing
    • Signature: Thief's Swiftness
    • Affix: Brutality and Sorcery

tagtn46dtw1n.png

What do you all think of this idea?
    @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KiraS

Edit: Since the original post has shifted to being focused on a customizable synergy skill, rather than primarily a skill for utilizing the non-combat pet, please regard only the part of the above example where the synergy itself can be tweaked by the chosen Scripts. There's no particular reason why this skill has to utilize a pet at all.

Here's a version of this mockup without the pet aspect:
    fcvl7777tfrw.png
    Edited by Erickson9610 on June 21, 2024 10:37PM

Options
  • BixenteN7Akantor
    BixenteN7Akantor
    ✭✭✭
    "non-combat" pet :#
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them just as pets, thanks. Admittedly if that was added, I wouldn't use it....
    Edited by TaSheen on June 21, 2024 9:44PM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont see why they couldnt, however i have a lot of problems with the draft skill, i mean including a cast time AND a synergy you would have to activate to get the effect? i wouldnt even consider using that aside from the horrendous lack of ink
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "non-combat" pet :#
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I like them just as pets, thanks. Admittedly if that was added, I wouldn't use it....

Maybe the focus on the skills being about utilizing the non-combat pets for combat is too much. I'd love for an Undaunted Grimoire to have a customizable synergy, but perhaps also making it a pet skill wouldn't be the best option.
    i dont see why they couldnt, however i have a lot of problems with the draft skill, i mean including a cast time AND a synergy you would have to activate to get the effect? i wouldnt even consider using that aside from the horrendous lack of ink

I took the cast time from the Sorcerer skill "Summon Unstable Clannfear". Perhaps it's best not to have a cast time to summon this pet.

Overall, it seems that the idea of utilizing the non-combat pet for combat is an unpopular idea, and having a cast time for a synergy skill would also be unpopular. Instead of focusing the skill on being a pet skill, what if it was instead an instant cast skill which is more thematically in-line with the rest of the Undaunted skills? I'm not sure exactly what it would be themed after, but I think the idea of customizing the effects of a synergy via the Scripts you choose is a novel idea.

Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I don't know that 2 or 3 of us can make it "an unpopular idea"....

I don't use undaunted anything, so wouldn't make any difference to me if that got changed some way.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the problem most people have with the scribe skills as they are right now is the cast times, especially for how less effective they are compared to some other ones

most of the "popular" scribe skills are instant cast (wield soul, ulfsilds contingency)

i dont think having a synergy there would be a bad thing either, but maybe it should be like part of the signature line (i do appreciate that the synergy would be self useable)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Well, I don't know that 2 or 3 of us can make it "an unpopular idea"....

I don't use undaunted anything, so wouldn't make any difference to me if that got changed some way.

That's fair. I initially thought that the two ideas I had — a customizable synergy skill and a pet skill which utilizes the non-combat pet — could both be combined into one skill. Well, I know for certain that any Undaunted skill must have a synergy in there somewhere, so I figure it's a safer bet that if there was going to be a skill to allow us to customize the synergy, it'd be in the Undaunted skill line.

Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the problem most people have with the scribe skills as they are right now is the cast times, especially for how less effective they are compared to some other ones

most of the "popular" scribe skills are instant cast (wield soul, ulfsilds contingency)

i dont think having a synergy there would be a bad thing either, but maybe it should be like part of the signature line (i do appreciate that the synergy would be self useable)

Right. I'll make another mock-up where there's no cast time. I definitely believe that future Scribing skills for skill lines other than Undaunted should have an optional Signature Script for applying a synergy, but as every Undaunted skill has a synergy baked in, I think an Undaunted Grimoire would need the synergy to be part of the base skill, if not customizable by the other Scripts.

Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an edited mockup which removes the pet aspect:
    fcvl7777tfrw.png

The hope is that the flexibility in the synergy's function makes up for the lack of utility outside of the synergy. Since synergies are on 20 second cooldowns, it makes sense for the duration of all buffs from this skill to be as close to 20 seconds as possible.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on June 21, 2024 10:41PM

Options