The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What level should tradeskills be...

vemerce
vemerce
What level should I have my skills up to before moving to the next area? My first assumption is to keep my skill the same as my character level, but it seems that tradeskills level very slowly in this game... Or I'm missing something.

The only one I'm doing so far is Blacksmithing and 200 Iron Ore doesn't go a long way... Blacksmithing is like level 4 and I think I've gathered 300+ Iron.

Is there a trick/tip to this that I'm missing? And is the tradeskill cap level 50 as well?

Thanks!
  • Erahth
    Erahth
    Not sure on the tradeskill cap, but the trick is to create a crafting alt. The best source of IP (Inspiration Points, ala blacksmithing XP) will come from disassembling items crafted by someone else, and looted items.

The easiest way to do this is to create a crafting alt, make a stack of stuff on CharA, then disassemble it on CharB, turn those bars back in to items and send them back to CharA to disassemble.
  • vemerce
    vemerce
    So let me just be clear on this...

In order to level my Blacksmithing, I need to have 2 characters that are Blacksmiths so that they can pass items back and forth? That seems kind of broken...
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    You got that right...the crafting system is a very odd one indeed...
  • Lahlum
    Lahlum
    vemerce wrote: »

In order to level my Blacksmithing, I need to have 2 characters that are Blacksmiths so that they can pass items back and forth? That seems kind of broken...

You don't need to do anything, but it is currently the fastest way to level, about three times as fast. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they fixed this, so you only get more IP from deconstructing items made by players on other accounts
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Lahlum wrote: »

You don't need to do anything, but it is currently the fastest way to level, about three times as fast. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they fixed this, so you only get more IP from deconstructing items made by players on other accounts

You can just disassemble as you level... because you are usually in your own level range of items at all times that way. So as a level 16 character a smithing of 8 should be just fine.
    Edited by Pyatra on April 3, 2014 8:27PM
  • vemerce
    vemerce
    Lahlum wrote: »

It should be the other way around. You should level faster by deconstructing items that YOU made on THAT character. That would be more incentive to actually make things and break them down. And you should get more experience from making items than tearing them apart. That's just silly.