The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Gathering

Hadan_of_Rift
Hadan_of_Rift
✭✭✭✭
Do you have to level crafting skills to keep gathering in higher level zones? Right now I am only training clothing, but I like to gather wood and ore for later to either train or use on an alt. When I get to Tier 2 or higher resources can I still gather them?

Thanks
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    You can colect all resources without any crafting skill, they are not conected.
    Only thing that help you colect them(for a degree) is Keen Eye skill
  • Hadan_of_Rift
    Hadan_of_Rift
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's what I thought but a lot of people where saying different, maybe it's a change ESO is thinking of making
  • Omnii_Evermind
    I've gone through 3 different zones now and can attest that you do not need any skills in order to harvest. The skills that make the harvest nodes glow is useful, but not needed. I've harvested hundreds of tailoring materials to donate to my guild, and I am definitely not a tailor. If you are looking to make a profit, I'd suggest harvesting runes for enchanting, since those come in different qualities. As a blacksmith, I can attest that I would never buy ore... it's almost useless. Almost all of my blacksmith skill comes from deconstructing loot, as does most of my material. I vendor 99% of my bars. The other one that might be profitable to harvest to sell is provisioning materials, from barrels, sacks, etc. If you know what ingredients are needed for the rare recipes, those sell.
    Illurial Darkblade, USA Megaserver
    Level 50 VR 1 Khajiit Nightblade
    50 Provisioning
    50 Blacksmithing
    50 Clothing
  • Hadan_of_Rift
    Hadan_of_Rift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much Omnii
  • ouchouch2003_ESO
    Helpful Hint for gathering alchemy:
    I turned off the grass feature in my game and find it makes finding the plants needed for alchemy much easier. Hope this helps
  • scabrous_ftz
    scabrous_ftz
    ✭✭
    Yes, was able to harvest higher level mats in Cyrodiil with no points in the crafting line.
    I Have gotten to lvl 8 in Woodcraft without making a single item (char lvl 14). So, I suppose I should stop gathering all that wood as it's just gathering dust.