Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Say Hello to the devs from Roundhouse Games joining ZOS!

Faulgor
Faulgor
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So it was announced today that a couple of Zenimax studios are sadly closing down.
One of them is Roundhouse Games, which is going to be folded into ZOS and apparently help working on ESO.
Roundhouse Games – The team at Roundhouse Games will be joining ZeniMax Online Studios (ZOS). Roundhouse has played a key role in many of our recent game launches and bringing them into ZOS to work on The Elder Scrolls Online will mean we can do even more to grow the world that millions of players call home.

To all the devs joining, I want to say welcome! I realize this is a difficult situation for you, but I'm looking forward to your contribution to one of my favorite games.
Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i hope to see fights with cut limbs (Rune)
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It may a big news for us, because it looked like ZOS had too small team for last years with all these bugs and update failures and I can guess Microsoft also thinks that way if they give them whole new team of people. I hope that it will mean that ESO will have more content again and more polished content :)
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry the circumstances stances aren't better, but I'm glad they are here and am looking forward to seeing how ESO is shaped with their involvement. It's seemed for a while now that the devs might be spread a little thin, so hopefully this makes for a great work environment for all involved.
  • Lozeenge
    Lozeenge
    ✭✭✭
    logging back on to say that seeing Xbox tout Gold Road over the corpses of several dev studios has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth for even thinking about playing this game again. i sincerely hope the upcoming expansion is going to be worth it for everyone else.
    PC-NA / 1500+ CP / PvE mostly / "Mama didn't raise no tank."
  • Tazzy
    Tazzy
    ✭✭✭
    A warm welcome to the few devs that are allowed to keep their jobs. But this whole decision from `higher ups` leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Reminds me of Swen Vincke´s speech : "It's always the quarterly profits, the only thing that matters are the numbers, and then you fire everybody and then next year you say '*** I'm out of developers' and then you start hiring people again, and then you do acquisitions, and then you put them in the same loop again, and it's just broken... "
    This one has no regrets *Raz
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    i can hear a bunch of people saying, "[snip] spaghetti did we just get into "

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 12, 2024 5:27PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never heard of Roundhouse Games, do we know what they've been working on and in what capacity? How many people do they have and what will be their role in ESO?
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I've never heard of Roundhouse Games, do we know what they've been working on and in what capacity? How many people do they have and what will be their role in ESO?

From what little I know, the studio contributed to the development of Redfall. I'm not sure what other games they've worked on prior, but they were also once known as Human Head studios.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

part of ex Human Head Studios - Rune + HoV..., Defiance, Prey 1, Dungeon Defenders 2, Rune 2 Ragnarok (shut down after launch and bethesda acquisition)

"Roundhouse Games – The team at Roundhouse Games will be joining ZeniMax Online Studios (ZOS). Roundhouse has played a key role in many of our recent game launches and bringing them into ZOS to work on The Elder Scrolls Online will mean we can do even more to grow the world that millions of players call home." *

* https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-closes-redfall-developer-arkane-austin-hifi-rush-developer-tango-gameworks-and-more-in-devastating-cuts-at-bethesda/

there were some more posts on the subject
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link!

The new chapter is “Gold Road,” though, right, not “Golden”?
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome! I hope this brings in some fresh talent and capacity to address some long standing issues; hopefully this results in higher quality.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Thank you for the link!

Correct. The guy who wrote that got the title wrong.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Thank you for the link!

That guy being the head of Xbox Game Studios...

ETA: correction, head of Game Content and Studios at Microsoft, which puts him in a supervisory role over all of Zenimax as well as Xbox.
    Edited by virtus753 on May 7, 2024 11:11PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link!

ETA: correction, head of Game Content and Studios at Microsoft, which puts him in a supervisory role over all of Zenimax as well as Xbox.

...or the administrative assistant that works for them.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZoeInDreams
    ZoeInDreams
    ✭✭
    Stick them on the server team
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha, I was expecting to see some baiting because of the server's tonight.

Welcome aboard, more help doesn't hurt.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    apparently help working on ESO

Sorry, I can't find any information proving it.

There is a second frame on the "ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS / OUR GAMES" page on the ZOS' official site. Its name is "Kickass New Projects".
    So TESO is not the only child of ZOS anymore. At least after year 2020 (the last year that page was updated, considering the Greymoor chapter and award dates).
    I won't be surprised if people from Roundhouse Games join the new project team.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a second frame on the "ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS / OUR GAMES" page on the ZOS' official site. Its name is "Kickass New Projects".
    So TESO is not the only child of ZOS anymore. At least after year 2020 (the last year that page was updated, considering the Greymoor chapter and award dates).

I would have thought so, too, but the letter from Matt Booty explicitly states they would help bolster ESO.
    See the ign article and the part I quoted in the OP.

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-closes-redfall-developer-arkane-austin-hifi-rush-developer-tango-gameworks-and-more-in-devastating-cuts-at-bethesda/
    Roundhouse Games – The team at Roundhouse Games will be joining ZeniMax Online Studios (ZOS). Roundhouse has played a key role in many of our recent game launches and bringing them into ZOS to work on The Elder Scrolls Online will mean we can do even more to grow the world that millions of players call home.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO hasn't been an only child for quite a while now. They have some big new game in progress, likely an MMO, that started in the 2017-2018 time frame. I heard about it in 2018 via Twitter. A few ESO developers have moved over to that game, and said so. In addition to that, however, there was Commander Keen, a mobile game that was first heard about in 2019 and was canceled in 2022.

I expect that Roundhouse will be split between the two games, much as Nemesys was reported to be split between the two games.

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link!

Which doesn't make him (or his AI-controlled automated spell-checker?) immune to making boo-boos, or give him the power and authority to rename well-established locations in lore-rich games as he sees fit.
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Thank you for the link!

...or the administrative assistant that works for them.

Exactly!
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what little I know, the studio contributed to the development of Redfall. I'm not sure what other games they've worked on prior, but they were also once known as Human Head studios.

https://www.mobygames.com/company/54043/roundhouse-studios-llc/

Interesting.

Didn't play it but they had some fascinating ideas and a fresh take on the whole vampire thing.

But the game was almost universally panned on launch.

They also made the Defiance MMO, related to the TV series of the same name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Head_Studios

That one I played.

Mixed bag. Some parts really brilliant, others, moronic.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may a big news for us, because it looked like ZOS had too small team for last years with all these bugs and update failures and I can guess Microsoft also thinks that way if they give them whole new team of people. I hope that it will mean that ESO will have more content again and more polished content :)

Zenimax has consistently had job ads for various types of developers on their website for years. However, it is extremely rare for corporations, when absorbing other similar divisions, to give everybody a desk and something to do. In most consolidations of two groups with redundant functions, the cream of the crop is retained, and the least efficient/productive workers are let go.

This is important, because if Zenimax has "too small (of a) team," it's because they chose for it to be that size, not because they couldn't find anybody who wanted to work. So, it's quite a stretch to think that Zenimax will suddenly want a bigger team when they've had the opportunity to create one at any time.

Yes, players might want ZOS to have a bigger team... but rest assured that the current team is precisely the size they want it to be.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • LucyferLightbringer
    LucyferLightbringer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tazzy wrote: »
    A warm welcome to the few devs that are allowed to keep their jobs. But this whole decision from `higher ups` leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Reminds me of Swen Vincke´s speech : "It's always the quarterly profits, the only thing that matters are the numbers, and then you fire everybody and then next year you say '*** I'm out of developers' and then you start hiring people again, and then you do acquisitions, and then you put them in the same loop again, and it's just broken... "

To be fair what good games did those shut down Zenimax studios release lately? I personally know only about Prey which was mediocre for me and Red Fall which was a huge failure. Why would they keep paying them if they don't make anything good?
    Edited by LucyferLightbringer on May 8, 2024 11:08AM
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

This is important, because if Zenimax has "too small (of a) team," it's because they chose for it to be that size, not because they couldn't find anybody who wanted to work. So, it's quite a stretch to think that Zenimax will suddenly want a bigger team when they've had the opportunity to create one at any time.

Yes, players might want ZOS to have a bigger team... but rest assured that the current team is precisely the size they want it to be.

ZOS now has a Union so it's dubious that the current team size or makeup has been precisely the way they want it to be...

Especially since "the union intends to continue advocating for more contractors to have a pathway to permanent positions". Source

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • Thorncrypt
    Thorncrypt
    ✭✭✭
    Considering that Redfall was a tragic doomed product, I hope that the devs find redemption and a better time in ZoS. Best wishes to them and may their new jobs go well.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    ―Black Sacrament incantation

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StihlReign wrote: »
    ZOS now has a Union so it's dubious that the current team size or makeup has been precisely the way they want it to be...

I don't understand what you're saying here. Every corporation decides how many employees it needs to conduct business, and they will employ the minimum necessary to achieve their goals. Payroll is the biggest expense for most businesses, so they don't waste money hiring employees they don't need. Whether the employees are part of a union or not has no bearing on how many jobs are available. That number is set by the employer. Unions simply give the employees more say in how they are compensated and how they are used in the available positions.

Edited by Jaraal on May 8, 2024 3:19PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tazzy wrote: »

To be fair what good games did those shut down Zenimax studios release lately? I personally know only about Prey which was mediocre for me and Red Fall which was a huge failure. Why would they keep paying them if they don't make anything good?

Bethesda Softworks published a lot of games that were not block busters. They stuck with it and collected a bunch of studios that could put out good games. That was one of the nice things about them.

Tango did Hi-Fi Rush, which was critically acclaimed, but probably not super successful in the long term. I think that Arkane's Redfall failed because they tried to make a single player game into a live services game, and that did not go so well. That might have been more successful as a single player title.

Just from observation, the industry narrative seems to be trending towards live services games; the gift that keeps on giving. The announcement seemed to walk that path, especially with the move of Roundhouse to ZOS. I have no idea what Human Head/Roundhouse was working on over the last 5 years. They are the odd man out in this whole announcement. The fact that someone thought they could contribute to ZOS is interesting. It makes me wonder what they have been up to recently.

Anyway, this live services narrative is why I am trending towards the smaller studios for my gaming fix. The big boys seem to me more interested in making the latest block buster live services game. I am actually looking for a fun game with few strings attached, and Bethesda was one of the places to get that. It is becoming less likely that I will find that with the large corporate studios. I want to play fun games, not wallet vacuums.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This can only be positive. ESO is a game that deserves love and care, and growth. These developers shall be warmly welcomed.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Their Defiance MMO was mostly very good though didn't soar because the MMO marketed is super saturated and their mistakes were impactful enough to drag it down.

Being tied to the TV series of the same name was a mixed blessing.

That show's pilot wasn't great. I still remember some moments as laughably bad. They ditched that showrunner and every episode after was brilliant. But many viewers will understandably judge a show by its pilot, so this would have hurt the game at no fault to its developers.

The third series also made some super cringey mistakes. Like I think at that point Game of Thrones had given us Cersei and Jaime's incestuous romance. So Defiance one-upped them and gave us a father / daughter one in a new alien race introduced in the third (and final) series.

Sci-fi always being a mirror held up to real life, you have to be really careful with your treatment of things like this and they sadly dropped the ball on multiple fronts. I was a huge fan of the series until then but think I only rewatched it once after and stopped at the end of series 2.

Apart from the pilot and that third series mistake it was a superb show but the things it got wrong and which would have impacted on the game were no fault of these developers.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Zenimax has consistently had job ads for various types of developers on their website for years. However, it is extremely rare for corporations, when absorbing other similar divisions, to give everybody a desk and something to do. In most consolidations of two groups with redundant functions, the cream of the crop is retained, and the least efficient/productive workers are let go.

Many companies list jobs that really are not open. This is a practice many in the tech field despise, but have to live with when searching for a job.
    PC
    PS4/PS5