The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Populations of ESO

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Are there any demographics for Tamriel and surrounding areas?
What is the birth rate of Nords?
Do the wetter season increase the Argonian population?
Do dryer season increase the Khajit pop?
Where do the Imperials live?
  • Cosmo_Nova
    Cosmo_Nova
    ✭✭✭
    This would be a difficult question to answer because what we see in-game is kind of a simplified representation of how Tamriel actually is in the lore. Cities that have 10 houses and 15 NPCs are supposed to be waaaay bigger and have more people in-universe, that just can't be realistically represented in the games. Censuses and demographic information don't seem to be something lore texts really touch on.

That being said, we can get some rough estimates on how many NPCs are actually included in the game by looking at UESP's race categories and counting the number of articles per category. That gives us:

1,867 Argonians
    3,047 Bretons
    2,831 Dark Elves
    2,318 High Elves
    1,481 Imperials
    2,299 Khajiit
    2,247 Nords
    1,756 Orcs
    492 Reachfolk
    2,243 Redguards
    1,859 Wood Elves

Of course these are not entirely accurate counts because some of these are pages for generic unnamed enemy types, and of course the entirety of Tamriel is not included in the game so this only reflects the zones that are currently present. But it's a pretty accurate look at the distribution of NPCs currently in the game!

As for the question 'where do Imperials live' - mostly Cyrodiil, even after the Soulburst. Most of Colovia and Southern Nibenay are distant enough from the conflict of the Alliance War that life goes on there as usual. Even in the more war-torn parts of Cyrodiil, the Imperials are still inhabiting most towns and trying to live their lives. There are a lot of colonial towns from the Reman era (such as Southpoint or Arenthia in Valenwood) that have higher than average Imperial populations too.
    Edited by Cosmo_Nova on July 4, 2024 2:06PM
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the weight of an unladen swallow?
    Ray
  • BixenteN7Akantor
    BixenteN7Akantor
    ✭✭✭
    adirondack wrote: »
    What is the weight of an unladen swallow?

What is the capital of Assyria ?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the capital of Assyria ?

The first one was Assur or Qal'at Sherqat.

But seriously, I don't think OP's questions are that strange. While these things would not show directly in game, it would be possible that there are lorebooks or other statements about this. I know there aren't - but I don't find these topics that unusual. We have travel accounts and history, geography and biology books, after all. Think of the Pocket Guide to the Empire, or the book on "Racial Phylogeny".
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and what about Mary-Lou?
    A rubberband bouncing back to life
    A rubberband bend the beat
    If I could learn to give like a rubberband
    I'd be back on my feet

Kate Bush ~ The Red Shoes ~ 1993
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »
    and what about Mary-Lou?

Cindy-Lou Who?

There's a really fascinating series on YouTube where someone is using Unreal 5 to recreate Tamriel's cities in a realistic scale. They're absolutely massive capable of holding hundreds of thousands to even over a million people. Think of the Imperial City as King's Landing, it's the most important City on the Continent which would draw people from everywhere.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too many Red Guard. It's time to cull some of them.
    For Betony!! ATTACK!!!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many Red Guard. It's time to cull some of them.
    For Betony!! ATTACK!!!

If you reduce the lower verse by one syllable, you have written a perfect haiku. How neat.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dwemer - 0

(or are they coming back????)
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Dwemer - 0

Maybe 1 in Tamriel. Unless he's still travelling the planes of Oblivion.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • DTLight
    DTLight
    ✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Are there any demographics for Tamriel and surrounding areas?
    What is the birth rate of Nords?

Just to speak on these two; it would be near impossible to have an accurate guess--or one that would be accurate for any period of time. Population and demographics of IRL history were always very... chaotic; one famine would cause a massive pop fall, and multiple good harvests and years of weather would be required to fix it.

Of course, Tamriel isn't IRL, and they aren't 1:1 at all, but the worldbuilding is still fairly naturalistic, so it would be very surprising if similar rules and scenarios didn't apply, especially given what we've seen of most of the settlements in main games and ESO.
    PC EU - @Ender_Tender
    Gallaf ddarllen ychydig o Gymraeg