The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Multiple Accounts, How common?

CoffinCuddles
CoffinCuddles
Soul Shriven
Hi! I'm somewhat new to ESO on PC-NA and I was curious on how common/often is it for someone to have more than one ESO account? Is it allowed and is there reasonable limits to having another?
Coffee, Cuddles and Chaos - CoffinCuddles
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s very common. It’s allowed as long as you play each account independently and don’t try to bot or automate any activities. The most common reason to have more accounts is for inventory space and guild administration. A lot of people have more accounts for roleplay reasons or just to get more character slots.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's allowed and a lot of people do it. I think it's more common on consoles because, as I understand it, you just need to set up an additional profile on the console (which is free), whereas on PC you need to buy another copy of the game to get a second account key. But a lot of people will buy copies during sales to do that.

As far as I know there's no limits to how many accounts you can have, or even how many you can be logged into at once (beyond the limits of what your hardware can handle) but you can only play one at a time. If you're controlling 2 or more characters simultaneously, or if one or more is doing it's own thing without any input from you then that's botting and can get you banned (no matter how you're doing it).

The other thing to be aware of is ZOS don't support it beyond allowing it, each account is treated as a seperate person and there's no way to link them or share things between them beyond sending items and gold by mail or through a guild bank like you can with other players. I'm not sure how buying chapters works on console (I know DLC for other games is shared between profiles, but I'm not sure about ESO) but crown store purchases, ESO+ and on PC chapters bought outside the game will only be available on the account they were bought on, there's no way to share it with your alt accounts.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    The other thing to be aware of is ZOS don't support it beyond allowing it, each account is treated as a seperate person and there's no way to link them or share things between them beyond sending items and gold by mail or through a guild bank like you can with other players.

This is important to note, particularly where Crown Store Gifting is concerned.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 10 accounts on PC.

You need a unique email for each, which is probably the most tedious part. Also, accounts that have been idle for a month or two, you have to reset the pass word when you try to log in. The email is not too difficult to deal with using a gmail alias. But the password process for each account is a real pain.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very common. Number of items you would like to hoard are thousands (furnishings alone are about 5,000 different items), you would also like to keep surveys (to do them in bunches), recipes and plans, motifs, style pages, food, drink and potions, several sets of gear, fragments, etc.. each character is 200 slots "walking bag".
    If you are not subscribed, you also have to have many inventory mules for crafting materials.
    PC EU
    Options
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! I'm somewhat new to ESO on PC-NA and I was curious on how common/often is it for someone to have more than one ESO account? Is it allowed and is there reasonable limits to having another?

To answer your last question about "reasonable limits", it is time consuming to have more then one account as you still need to log in (which depending on your hardware) can take some time (you need to pick character before you can interact with in game elements or pick up rewards/get email content).

Log in rewards is also one reason why most MMO (GW2 and ESO have daily log in reward system) that make it necessary to at least once every 24 hour check in on your second account to get something out of it.

There is also gameplay reason to have more then just one account; you can role play or pick different path in quest to see how those turns out or use builds and compare how different they work in even with small changes. You have access to Gold and material that you now can "share" in a pool between accounts, so your account have become a "super account" where you have more options, but that also have cost both in form of real investment in time and money.

Something that seem to be forgotten is that those that have two or more accounts also have to start all over if they are going to have any use of a second account. Mounts need to be upgraded, maps unlocked and Chapters bought (if you at least want access to content that are tied to maps or the new Arcanist).

So that reasonable limit is very much defined how you want to play and how you want to make use of a different set of tools in form of inventory management and get past in game limitation that otherwise would be a limit if you only had one account.

In GW2 there are free edition of GW2 (F2P), but have severe limitation for what you can do without upgrading to a paid account.

There where some free (I think it was while Amazon.com wanted to get more members for their movie channels at that time) where they gave away paid accounts during a campaign that got out of hand and those keys made it possible to have a large amount of account which could be used for daily log in rewards. With GW2's SoTO expansion/DLC we got Wizard's Vault which replaced how daily reward worked.

In ESO as far as I know you have to pay for getting an account and there haven't been any campaign where people could get access to paid account (paid base account) in a large amount like this from Amazon.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I have 10 accounts on PC.

You need a unique email for each, which is probably the most tedious part. Also, accounts that have been idle for a month or two, you have to reset the pass word when you try to log in. The email is not too difficult to deal with using a gmail alias. But the password process for each account is a real pain.

i dont think ive had this issue, sometimes my 2nd acct i dont even use for as much as 4-6 months, since i primarily use it to farm the witches festival and use it sparingly the rest of the year
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options