The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

400 Crown Gems for an In-Game Action? Wow!

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
The Frostfall Recall action is 400 Crown Gems! Not 400 Crowns, which would be bad enough, but 400 Crown gems?

These must be making a lot for ZOS I guess. I would love some alternate actions but I wouldn't pay Crowns for them, let alone Crown Gems.
PC
PS4/PS5
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You could use seals of endeavor instead
    Soupy twist
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next 25 crate pack comes with a recall. Not a mount or polymorph. A recall. Probably still 8k crowns too
    Edited by Ishtarknows on March 25, 2024 6:38PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »

Yes I could. But the fact that it is a Crown Gem item is the issue.

I notice that about half the items in the Featured list was Crown Gems based. That is a really bad trend, ESPECIALLY for something that makes an in-game action look different.

They are welcome to do this of course, but it goes with the entire meta that is getting opposed in many games today.

They could charge 10K Crowns or even Crown Gems and would you still support the practice?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The next 25 crate pack comes with a recall. Not a mount or polymorph. A recall. Probably still 8k crowns too

I would like some of these to add some variety to my gameplay, but the cost is too much, especially when it comes to Crown Gems, which you can only really get with lots of Crown Crate purchases.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    inflation, Sir :|
    PC EU
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really think that hiding things behind crown gems is bad.

Already that randomnes of crown crates is on the fringe of bad ethics specifically with the intransparent drop rates for specific items.

That they allow to transform trash into gems to allow buying some of the crown stuff instead is a good thing in itself to mitigate the complaint above.

But then to have items crown gem only tops it in terms of squeezing the client base like a citron. From my experience you need to buy 15 crown crates to obtain something about 200-300 crown gems depending how much items you already had obtained from a previous crown crate buying spree and how much of the other non-collectible items you turn into crown gems.

So for an item of 400 crown gems you'd need to buy approximately 30 crown crates, that is buying 11000 crowns! This is INSANE!

And I am not even talking about the mounts that cost something around 2500 crown gems...

Do the calculation how much you have to invest to be able to buy it given the abysmal drop rate of that item.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's on the feature list because it's disappearing this week. It's been in the crown crates for that tier for a while. And I won't be surprised if it stays like that.

Such moves are predictable and expected. With seals of endeavors it should be no surprise that there are more desirable items in crown crates than regular crown store.

Everything is according to the plan and won't change.
  • BetweenMidgets
    BetweenMidgets
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, the one of the only ways to discourage this behavior is to not indulge ZoS.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The monetization of this game is nuts, it even beats these gacha mobile games. Kinda wish they would at least put more rewards to earn and also reduce the prices of everything in the store, but that won't ever happen.
    Edited by Shagreth on March 25, 2024 11:09PM
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on April 19, 2024 12:43AM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    Wait a minute... you don't like the actual cost of an item being buried beneath multiple layers of differing currencies to get you to overlook that actual cost of the item? 400 Crown Gems takes roughly 10K worth of Crown Crates to "earn," so you can work out roughly what it would cost you in cold hard cash to buy that customized action.

That was my primary point here. IIRC the other items are 600 Crowns. This is far more expensive. The trend is definitely not good.

And I recall most "expensive" Crown Gem items being 400-600 Crown Gems in my early play days, and that was for fancy mounts. The Crown Gem cost keeps going up for everything and this is just another example.

And this is after I pay for ESO+ on both the PC and PS5 AND had to buy housing on each of 4 servers, because "account-wide" is not account-wide.

The risk I see for ZOS is that many people will hit a point of saying "forget this" completely, as many other games are facing today.

I just added ESO+ to both a few months ago, but this still disturbs me.

And I have something like 5.5K Crown Gems on PC-NA. Fewer on the others, but they will likely sit there unused. Not worth spending them just for a different look when I port.

I did finally spend some of my pile of Endeavors, but I will probably continue to pile them up for the most part as well because nothing is compelling enough to spend them and prices keep going up for those as well.

I guess some of this is the same as the Shrinkflation we are seeing in groceries....
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on March 26, 2024 12:05AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute... you don't like the actual cost of an item being buried beneath multiple layers of differing currencies to get you to overlook that actual cost of the item? 400 Crown Gems takes roughly 10K worth of Crown Crates to "earn," so you can work out roughly what it would cost you in cold hard cash to buy that customized action.

That was my primary point here. IIRC the other items are 600 Crowns. This is far more expensive. The trend is definitely not good.

And I recall most "expensive" Crown Gem items being 400-600 Crown Gems in my early play days, and that was for fancy mounts. The Crown Gem cost keeps going up for everything and this is just another example.

And this is after I pay for ESO+ on both the PC and PS5 AND had to buy housing on each of 4 servers, because "account-wide" is not account-wide.

The risk I see for ZOS is that many people will hit a point of saying "forget this" completely, as many other games are facing today.

And I have something like 5.5K Crown Gems on PC-NA. Fewer on the others, but they will likely sit there unused. Not worth spending them just for a different look when I port.

I did finally spend some of my pile of Endeavors, but I will probably continue to pile them up for the most part as well because nothing is compelling enough to spend them and prices keep going up for those as well.

I guess some of this is the same as the Shrinkflation we are seeing in groceries....

Money is tight everywhere sadly.

I honestly think that zos should lower Crown prices to a better rate, as in cut the prices by 40%. but that's not likely. The trend these days is to actually raise prices to make revenue look better.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have this recall, have had it for some time. Something tells me it was in a set of crown crates at one time but I could be wrong.
    That said, I absolutely love it. Just saying.

It won't change anything to complain about the cost of something, whether it be in gems, crowns or whatever.

It's simple... if you can't afford it, or if you think it's not worth the price, then you don't buy it. Same as anything on the shelf in any store anywhere. There have been many things in the crown store that I liked - for gems, or crowns - but I felt they just weren't worth the price. So I shrugged and moved on. Didn't come to the forums to complain. I make my statement by just not buying it, like any consumer.
    If enough people don't buy, then maybe the price will change. I'm betting enough will though that it stays the same.
    ZoS is a business. If buyers don't like the price, then don't shop.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it with 8k seals. Won't be getting another big item for a while but I quite like this one so that's alright. I also wish the items weren't so expensive.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on March 26, 2024 4:16AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alastrine wrote: »
    I have this recall, have had it for some time. Something tells me it was in a set of crown crates at one time but I could be wrong.

It won't change anything to complain about the cost of something, whether it be in gems, crowns or whatever.

It's simple... if you can't afford it, or if you think it's not worth the price, then you don't buy it. Same as anything on the shelf in any store anywhere. There have been many things in the crown store that I liked - for gems, or crowns - but I felt they just weren't worth the price. So I shrugged and moved on. Didn't come to the forums to complain. I make my statement by just not buying it, like any consumer.
    If enough people don't buy, then maybe the price will change. I'm betting enough will though that it stays the same.

Bad attitude to "demand" for an optional game where people could just as easily quit.
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

Money is tight everywhere sadly.

I honestly think that zos should lower Crown prices to a better rate, as in cut the prices by 40%. but that's not likely. The trend these days is to actually raise prices to make revenue look better.

I understand prices are up, but many "optional things" are getting purchased much less because of that.

The problem here is that the "bad result" will likely come too late to fix anything.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will change until zenimax apologists and gambling addicts will keep purchasing.

To me it's funny that whales think they are supporting the game, while in actuality I think they are the biggest downfall of this game.

Them buying this garbage is the reason why nothing is added as rewards for actually playing the game.

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The "skin" is 8000 Endeavors for everyone's information. Half the cost of a mount!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Unlike physical goods, game companies do not bear the cost of materials, or packaging, or shipping or paying workers to manage their retail, etc, etc. But many gaming companies have been pushing the envelope for YEARS on how much they can get away with. Mounts in ESO used to cost 800 crowns, for example. No longer.

And the more gaming companies hide behind arbitrary currencies, the more they muddy the actual cost of the item.

So I say let people speak up. Let them tell a company why they’re not satisfied instead of just seething quietly and watching the trend dip further and hoping silently that enough people feel the same way and said company won’t employ marketing gurus and psychologists to keep pushing.

Endeavors were a good choice to add but they are still designed to push you to the store. There’s a reason everything is priced exactly the way it is. I welcome a change in the industry, hopefully someday.
    Edited by heaven13 on March 27, 2024 9:22PM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

400 gems would be 16,000 seals I think.

16 gems is 1000

:#
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭

barney2525 wrote: »

16 gems is 1000

Its 8000.

The conversions for it are weird.

3600 endevours = 100 gems
    8000 endevours = 400 gems

If it would follow the same prices as crown crates then 400 gems would be 14400 endevours.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »

16 gems is 1000

The price I saw in game for this item was 8000 endeavors unless I read it wrong.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • ElderSmitter
    ElderSmitter
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Frostfall Recall action is 400 Crown Gems! Not 400 Crowns, which would be bad enough, but 400 Crown gems?

These must be making a lot for ZOS I guess. I would love some alternate actions but I wouldn't pay Crowns for them, let alone Crown Gems.

Thankfully i got it months ago in a Crown Crate!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thankfully i got it months ago in a Crown Crate!

I only got junk in the "free" Crown Crates. I am not going to buy any more, though I have unfortunately wasted money on them in the past.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • licenturion
    licenturion
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Belgium and due to laws I can’t even buy boxes.

The only way to get those blue gems is dismantling crap from Oubouros twitch boxes. In years of playing ESO I couldn’t buy 1 of the more flashy items yet

Good for the wallet lol 😝
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Belgium and due to laws I can’t even buy boxes.

The only way to get those blue gems is dismantling crap from Oubouros twitch boxes. In years of playing ESO I couldn’t buy 1 of the more flashy items yet

Good for the wallet lol 😝

And while I think you might be able to still buy Crowns, you can't get gifted Crown Gem items. I suppose you could buy a bunch of boxes with Gold (maybe, not sure the legality there), but that is certainly not efficient.

Loot Boxes and the follow-on stuff are a bane to the gaming field that will one day bit back really hard. They are too profitable now however.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »

Unlike physical goods, game companies do not bear the cost of materials, or packaging, or shipping or paying workers to manage their retail, etc, etc. But many gaming companies have been pushing the envelope for YEARS on how much they can get away with. Mounts in ESO used to cost 800 crowns, for example. No longer.

And the more gaming companies hide behind arbitrary currencies, the more they muddy the actual cost of the item.

So I say let people speak up. Let them tell a company why they’re not satisfied instead of just seething quietly and watching the trend dip further and hoping silently that enough people feel the same way and said company won’t employ marketing gurus and psychologists to keep pushing.

Endeavors were a good choice to add but they are still designed to push you to the store. There’s a reason everything is priced exactly the way it is. I welcome a change in the industry, hopefully someday.

I have no problem with people speaking up about it, that's what forums are for and they are free to express their opinion.
    My opinion was that it wouldn't change anything. There have been a ton of posts about this or that being too expensive over the years and no, nothing has ever changed.

And as others have said... it probably has not changed because enough people do buy it and support it.
    It's rather insulting though of them to refer to those that do as 'whales' or in derogatory terms. People can buy what they want and are willing to pay the price and have the means to do so. Nothing wrong with that and it's completely their right to buy what they want, yet it seems to annoy those that can't do the same. Unfortunate.

Business is business. They will of course always push to the store, as you said. Like it or not, it really is about money in the end.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭

IF you buy crates the 25 crate package for 8K crowns is a better buy - just for the crates alone, regardless of the extra they are putting with it. You are paying for the crates and getting an extra item for free pretty much.
    The extra of course is the dangling carrot to get you to buy the package. It also ensures you can only buy the 25 crate package once - it greys out once you do and that unique item is in your inventory.
    But, like I said, if you are someone that would buy crates anyway then that batch is the best price per crate at 320 crowns each and I imagine many do.
    So undoubtedly will still be 8K crowns.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »

I have no problem with people speaking up about it, that's what forums are for and they are free to express their opinion.
    My opinion was that it wouldn't change anything. There have been a ton of posts about this or that being too expensive over the years and no, nothing has ever changed.

And as others have said... it probably has not changed because enough people do buy it and support it.
    It's rather insulting though of them to refer to those that do as 'whales' or in derogatory terms. People can buy what they want and are willing to pay the price and have the means to do so. Nothing wrong with that and it's completely their right to buy what they want, yet it seems to annoy those that can't do the same. Unfortunate.

Business is business. They will of course always push to the store, as you said. Like it or not, it really is about money in the end.

It is about money. But that doesn't mean all practices that produce income are ideal or proper!

Loot crates and such have gotten a lot of pushback in many games. Not enough to stop the practice, but still a decent amount of dislike and disgust.
    PC
    PS4/PS5