The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sorcerer u41 Adjustments (PvE Tank)

VaxtinTheWolf
VaxtinTheWolf
✭✭✭✭✭
Just some observations/feedback for some of the changes as a Dark Elf Sorcerer Tank in PvE Dungeons(V). I threw together some things that fit my character and would allow me to benefit from several of the changes that had been made. This left my stat values around 40-42k Magicka, 30k Health and 16k Stamina with nearly 2k M-Regen and 29k-32k Armor. This update wanted to support sorcerers who preferred to forgo their pet companions, so I removed my Twilight Matriarch in favor of the revamped Refuge skill, Bound Aegis, and used Hardened Ward instead of the Regenerating morph. To maintain the dual 10% stat boosts I was restricted from using any abilities or sets that spawned a companion, like Chokethorn or Shadowrend. At the time, I forgot the Atronach Ultimate also counts as a pet but later realised that whenever I used it, my stats were still shifting (Stamina/Magicka values don't update until you bar swap).

Hardened Ward
With my stats, this gives me a 22k shield and heals for around 6500 Health. This feels really good to use and encourages a sorcerer to rely more on their shield for survivability compared to trying to heal yourself with Dark Deal. The ability can crit on the heal, which provides a nice 10k boost under the shield if you're lucky. No complaints on this, although I still prefer the visual effects of Regenerative Ward.

Daedric Refuge
I'm still feeling kind of 'ehh' towards this ability. It costs me 4900 Magicka and has a 3s arming time with a 2s delay between node pickups. They can be grabbed by a player once it's armed, but if you stand over another node before the 2s delay ends it won't pick up the second, requiring you to move away and back over it again. However, a subsequent recast of the skill when the initially placed nodes are absorbed will give players a shield refresh automatically without having to move, if they are standing over a node.

I can provide Damage Shields with a value up to 13k, but there isn't really anything that gets someone to say 'oh yeah, give me some of that!'. Unfortunately, it's also capped at 43% of a players Max Health, meaning an ally needs 25k Health to get a 10k shield. I'm not sure what else this skill could do to make it more special or exciting to an ally, but I believe it's Shield duration could last 8s and provide Minor Protection for 4s, so that the shield might last a tiny bit longer if they happen to walk over one of the nodes by accident. That, or it could restore/refund an amount of Magicka for every node that isn't activated to aid in softening the large recast commitment. Yes, those ideas are based on Templar mechanics since the skill already looks Holy inspired anyway.

Shattering Spines
Well.. this still costs much more, lacks the Major Vitality buff, and is only 4s instead of the 6s Immobilize that Restraining Prison had, but this new iteration of the skill remains quite useful on it's own. I do have to work on remembering that this can still be used in boss fights as it's effects are not tied to the CC, and 10s of Major Maim is a nice addition. You can get two procs of the Blood Magic passive from using this skill, and the unique delayed effect can be refreshed early which also forces the damage to proc on reapplication. I have not tested the Healing morph in combat, but I think it is also sufficient for any Healers considering the skill.
|| AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
|| DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
|| EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I share the same thoughts. Daedric Refuge stands out as not being all too useful because it costs way too much for so little. With the cost and the low shield value, it really feels like it was crafted in a vacuum. It doesn't offer any incentive for the risk/reward of the fact that you need to reposition yourself to obtain or give the shields for your team.

If they can't buff the shield value or reduce the cost because there is 5 of them 1 person could quintuple dip on, it should at least provide a some minor buffs.

It's tricky because Minor Endurance/Intellect, Minor Protection, and Minor Vitality as prime candidates are taken elsewhere in our kit.

If the double dip thing didn't matter... I would say add Minor Expedition for 10s to shield takers and Minor Lifesteal to enemies who deal damage to those shields for 10s. It already comes from Quick Siphon, so it would be a nice way to offer Sorc Healers a better version of it , similar to how DK Tanks have the best pull in the game even though anyone can use Fighters guild for Leash.

I think a skill like this providing Minor Expedition + Minor Lifesteal would be a nice way to highlight Sorc's as the speedy dark magic class, while justifying the cost more. Nothing about the current design really does that.

Also, random idea I had for Dark Deal morphs I think tanks would love and better line up with Siphoning Attacks:
    • "If cast while bracing, Dark Deal/Conversion becomes instant, but no longer heals you."
    • Reduce cast time from 1.0 seconds to 0.8 seconds to better match global cooldown standards we introduced on cast time spammables like Flurry/Jabs/Snipe/Dark Flare/Crystal Frag.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on March 21, 2024 11:52PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new changes don't really seem to do much for my PvE sorc tank. The Clanfear still offers the best burst heal by far in addition to the extra 8% health.

I've found that Major Maim as an AOE is not really that useful when cast on adds or trash; and you already get the single target version with Frost Clench.

Daedric refuge is of limited use for two reasons: a) the damage shield is small and b) it requires the players to get near the tank if cast after the initial moments of the fight.

What I wish is that the devs remove the channelling on Dark Deal and allow instant casting. Instead, they can put a cooldown which makes it cost 50% more if cast within 4 seconds like Streak. This will prevent spamming in PvP.
    Edited by moderatelyfatman on March 22, 2024 12:57PM