The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

U41 Instant damage Proc sets (Tarnished)

Lapin_Logic
Lapin_Logic
✭✭✭✭✭
I get a ringing in my ears that sounds like "we will never allow Tremorscale, Viper, Caluurions Proc damage sets to replace core combat" every time I have a Nightblade heavy attack, Tarnished Nightmare, Anthelmir (double poison, heamorhaging etc, etc).

I feel like the combat team need to sit down and review the mistakes of the last 20 updates because it seems like they are lost in the weeds and "new" ideas are actually just old ideas from a few patches ago, except now everyone has 35k health and is still a Ganker.
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the sound of a beer bottle being broken over my characters head while attempting to play solo it’s so funny. (It’s not funny.)
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nerf the sound effect, no other set is that loud. The proc is fine in a 35k+ hp meta.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerf the sound effect, no other set is that loud. The proc is fine in a 35k+ hp meta.

It is obnoxiously loud reminds me when werewolf was better and you’d hear like 6 howls a second and a volume a million times louder than everything else in the game.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set is overtuned. It's super fun when somebody poison injects you and you have that set proc 3 times over its duration alongside 3 instances of sundered, 2-3 instances of poisoned, and multiple procs of whatever other set they're wearing, like sheer venom/hunters venom etc.

They need to go over all these proc sets they've added and give them the plaguebreak treatment. You should only be able to proc any damaging proc once per cast of an ability.

There is no reason a 20s dot should proc a 5k+ direct damage proc and a 5k-10k dot damage proc multiple times over the duration of a single cast.
    Edited by React on March 19, 2024 3:32PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    They need to go over all these proc sets they've added and give them the plaguebreak treatment. You should only be able to proc any damaging proc once per cast of an ability.

There is no reason a 20s dot should proc a 5k+ direct damage proc and a 5k-10k dot damage proc multiple times over the duration of a single cast.

100% agree, also we have slipped from "you won't need to remake your build every patch" back into "new DLC, new must have META"
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I opened a thread about sounds but nobody cares
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, Tarnished+Construct is the best. Don't nerf it. It's been a long time since this play style has been supported and we all know there is more annoying stuff out there.

And proccing tarnished off dots is a huge waste of a filthy proc. It's an 8 second Cd.

Like really if we have problems with proc ganking in 2024 after patches of worse, what play styles are acceptable?

Edited by DrNukenstein on March 19, 2024 5:40PM
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, Tarnished+Construct is the best. Don't nerf it. It's been a long time since this play style has been supported and we all know there is more annoying stuff out there.

And proccing tarnished off dots is a huge waste of a filthy proc. It's an 8 second Cd.

Like really if we have problems with proc ganking in 2024 after patches of worse, what play styles are acceptable?

I personally think sets that deal damage for you are bad game design, always have. Same with sets that heal you, or conditional procs that fire without any input from you to save you from mistakes (cleansing revival, maras, earthgore).

That said, in the current meta, I don't have that much of an issue with burst damage procs as long as they're not too oppressive.

But it is extremely problematic that 20s long dots are proccing individual proc sets 2-3 times each over their duration. For example, one single poison injection can proc tarnished at 0s, 8s, and 16s, can also proc sheer venom at 0s, 6s, 12s, and 18s, and will apply multiple status effects over that same duration. That is wayyy too much "fire and forget" "free" damage on a single cast of one ability.

They should just change the majority of procs to only be able to proc once from any given cast of an ability, apart from any that explicitly need to ignore that rule (such as azureblight).
    Edited by React on March 19, 2024 6:30PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally think sets that deal damage for you are bad game design, always have. Same with sets that heal you, or conditional procs that fire without any input from you to save you from mistakes (cleansing revival, maras, earthgore).

That said, in the current meta, I don't have that much of an issue with burst damage procs as long as they're not too oppressive.

But it is extremely problematic that 20s long dots are proccing individual proc sets 2-3 times each over their duration. For example, one single poison injection can proc tarnished at 0s, 8s, and 16s, can also proc sheer venom at 0s, 6s, 12s, and 18s, and will apply multiple status effects over that same duration. That is wayyy too much "fire and forget" "free" damage on a single cast of one ability.

They should just change the majority of procs to only be able to proc once from any given cast of an ability, apart from any that explicitly need to ignore that rule (such as azureblight).

the way poison injection and sheer venom interacts has been like that forever, i used to use that combo like 4 years ago and it still functioned the same (it even worked like that back when sheer venom using to have a global proc cooldown instead of a per target cooldown, i used to use it back then too lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With tarnished I really think it's a waste to proc it off dots. It is not a dot builds proc. You want it to kick off your combo so you get that sundered up front.

But 100% agreed on the low CD ones, and dot procs. Those should not be proliferating off of dots because it's griefy and lazy, but the mechanic does come with a drawback if there isn't a per target cooldown on the proc. If you are dotting multiple people up you don't have control over who the procs trigger on. If you aren't dotting multiple people up on a dot build, you're not playing a dot build well.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New pay to win set that for whatever reason ignores the proc burst cooldown. Probably to get nightblades to farm this set, buy the new dlc, then nerf it later on. Remember they did this with thunder caller years ago.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooh the NB triple proc set thing back? Been a LOOOOOOOONG time since that happened. The ole Viper+Selene’s+that CoS set before they were nerfed/altered in some way.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh the NB triple proc set thing back? Been a LOOOOOOOONG time since that happened. The ole Viper+Selene’s+that CoS set before they were nerfed/altered in some way.

Original viper and selene with incap haha. Good times. Back when procs were an absolute no skill joke.

Oh wait...
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not paying 45 : lol :
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    silky_soft wrote: »
    Back when procs were an absolute no skill joke. Oh wait...
    If you're dying to a proc with a 7k tooltip in a 35k+ hp meta, please do not talk about "skill," thanks.
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're dying to a proc with a 7k tooltip in a 35k+ hp meta, please do not talk about "skill," thanks.

Everyone's just mad that one shot builds are back and more stat dense than ever before, when this is how it should've been the whole time.

What about those boosted status effects and spammable healy shields?
    Edited by DrNukenstein on March 23, 2024 5:50PM
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everyone's just mad that one shot builds are back and more stat dense than ever before, when this is how it should've been the whole time. What about those boosted status effects and spammable healy shields?
    Tarnished hasn't even been scary. The only gank that scares me right now is low hp vamp Incap combo with Titanborn + True Sworn, and that one runs pure stats, zero procs. It also dies in literally 1 hit. I haven't noticed any difference playing with or against status effects. I'm sure you've read the other threads here on the broken spammable healy shields.
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarnished hasn't even been scary. The only gank that scares me right now is low hp vamp Incap combo with Titanborn + True Sworn, and that one runs pure stats, zero procs. It also dies in literally 1 hit. I haven't noticed any difference playing with or against status effects. I'm sure you've read the other threads here on the broken spammable healy shields.

Yeah, I the number 1 proc enjoyer of the world am stepping down my evaluation of tarnished. It's a good proc, but there's better ways to make use of your build space.

Also like I hear the glass bottle break when it procs off of a lazy bow dot, but like my health doesn't move from it. If it was that OP it would be carrying more builds by now, but honestly most bow blades (and other players huffing this copium) that picked it up are less of a problem this patch than last patch. Even the legendary cheater, Sunberry Barkmocha, is noticeably worse at game with it.
    Edited by DrNukenstein on March 25, 2024 2:45PM
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I have to say is that the sound is mildly annoying and I have been surprised by it on my squishier builds but if I build glass cannon I expect to die anyway. The devs gonna do what they gonna do at this point all we can do is point out gamebreaking bugs and pray they get fixed. Enjoy the few months of bottle breaking and surprise random damage.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    after experiencing getting hit by it some over the weekend, this actual proc is pretty low dmg, even on my NB with lower resists it was only hitting me for about 2500 dmg

the biggest thing is that its aoe, and applies sundered which is minor breach + the dmg buff for the attacker
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, it is actually heavy attack, 2-3 procs, enchant, plus a skill, with one sure critical hit, and the others around 60%, and +/- 110% crit damage. There have been studies. 60% of the time; it works every time.

Esoteric greaves are your friend.
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You just salty there is no procs for zone chat.

Edit: forums did some crazy quoting. Got rid of it.
    Edited by silky_soft on March 26, 2024 2:33AM
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares about its damage. The sound of tarnished is annoying. Sound is pitched too high.
  • Miracle19
    Miracle19
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I the number 1 proc enjoyer of the world am stepping down my evaluation of tarnished. It's a good proc, but there's better ways to make use of your build space.

Also like I hear the glass bottle break when it procs off of a lazy bow dot, but like my health doesn't move from it. If it was that OP it would be carrying more builds by now, but honestly most bow blades (and other players huffing this copium) that picked it up are less of a problem this patch than last patch. Even the legendary cheater, Sunberry Barkmocha, is noticeably worse at game with it.

praise sunmode
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this set dealing this much damage? I got deleted by this set from full health. No way this is intentional.

nEM2pYZ.jpeg

ZLyu1Il.jpeg

Sigh. I shouldn't have come back to PvP lol.
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kikazaru wrote: »
    Why is this set dealing this much damage? I got deleted by this set from full health. No way this is intentional.

nEM2pYZ.jpeg

ZLyu1Il.jpeg

Try 53k+ from a single instance of damage from this set when I was sitting off at the edge of the group that got bombed (like I was right on the very edge of this sets range and still took 53k damage with defensive buffs and hardened ward active).

The set is bugged like crazy and a lot of NBs are exploiting this bugged set to the absolute max currently.
  • kenjiasai
    kenjiasai
    Soul Shriven
    It's bugged, check and interact with the thread in bug section to help us get it fixed ASAP. Already submitted a ticket about this.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna farm it for PVE

nEM2pYZ.jpeg

ZLyu1Il.jpeg

I'm fairly certain that the high damage is because it's a proc that deals aoe damage, and it's proccing on multiple targets using one AOE skill causing a shotgun effect. Definitely not intended because that's basically a bomb every 8 seconds.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HowlKimchi wrote: »
    I wanna farm it for PVE

nEM2pYZ.jpeg

ZLyu1Il.jpeg

I'm fairly certain that the high damage is because it's a proc that deals aoe damage, and it's proccing on multiple targets using one AOE skill causing a shotgun effect. Definitely not intended because that's basically a bomb every 8 seconds.

Not even a full bomb deals as much damage as that set does (not even a double bomb from 2 players timed perfectly matches how much damage this set does from pressing 1 button), it's definitely an exploit with how the set works that was not intended by the devs.

The closest I've seen to this set was the old full power (pre-nerf) plaguebreak set but that required stacking 20+ enemies on top of each other (as well as on top of an NPC) and multiple attacks to start the chain reaction (not to mentioned it didn't ignore block and other mitigation like this set seems to either).
  • kenjiasai
    kenjiasai
    Soul Shriven
    HowlKimchi wrote: »
    I wanna farm it for PVE

nEM2pYZ.jpeg

ZLyu1Il.jpeg

It's a pure bug from being triggered by proxy, check bug section of the forum to help us get this fixed ASAP as it's being abused in PvP.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here's the other thread showing a video with a bugged 29k Tarnished proc. Same EP players involved.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin this is a major bug that needs to be fixed before the exploit spreads, please help!