The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why does ZoS create such nice cosmetics only to hide them with such ugly effects?

Aerin
Aerin
✭✭✭
Hi Zos, I really, really want to buy this:
arms.jpg


But then, I will spend 2000 Crowns to have this:
arms1.jpg



Come on ZoS... why???? Can you please remove this horrible effect from the Scholarship skill so we can buy nice costumes for our weapons. Please!

And no... sadly, I don't believe I will buy this or any other arms pack. It doesn't make any sense!
Edited by Aerin on March 18, 2024 2:39PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aerin wrote: »
    Come on ZoS... why???? Can you please remove this horrible effect from the Scholarship skill so we can buy nice costumes for our weapons. Please!

    You'd have better luck with the 'effects are making me physically ill' argument. That got them to nerf crux.

    The 'I paid for this, but you're giving me that' approach never works.

    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love, love, love the effect of that Arcanist skill and I would be very disappointed if they'd remove it. I see your point though, but I don't know what's the middle ground. I'm still sad and salty about ZOS removing the glowing eyes from Mage Light.
    Edited by Seraphayel on March 18, 2024 3:42PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having bright visuals for buffs makes it clear to the user that the ability is up without looking at their buff bar as well as making it clear to people you might be fighting in PvP.

    IMHO, long term ZOS should consider implementing a function to allow people to play in relaxed mode or try hard mode and quickly/automatically swap between them with different customization options for each mode.

  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does ZoS create such nice cosmetics only to hide them with such ugly effects?

    Asks every Apex Radiant mount...ever.

    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can still see the weapons before prebuffing. Pre-pull in trials I wander around and stare at peoples outfits.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aerin wrote: »
    Hi Zos, I really, really want to buy this:
    arms.jpg


    But then, I will spend 2000 Crowns to have this:
    arms1.jpg

    Come on ZoS... why???? Can you please remove this horrible effect from the Scholarship skill so we can buy nice costumes for our weapons. Please!

    And no... sadly, I don't believe I will buy this or any other arms pack. It doesn't make any sense!

    You think that’s bad? You should look at Nightblade’s permanent red blob glow that appears on both bars, in and out of combat just for slotting the skill. It lights the back of my characters’ eyeballs, obliterates weapon styles, and generally looks atrocious, besides giving NO USEFUL INFORMATION WHATSOEVER!
    /rant

    Personally, I like the Arcanist’s weapon ability as there’s a design to it — not some blob — and it only appears on casting so it’s a visual reminder when to refresh, and when running IA with an Arcanist, when I see them cast it, I know they’re ready for me to charge in!

    There are cast skills I really wish looked different too — the silly tombstones in necro’s one skill the name of which I’ve forgotten, the warden bear, and others. But I choose classes and skills based in part on how I like the overall look and feel of the class, and figure there are others who like the existing visuals. For me, I have been put off playing DK for a long time for that reason, but it’s so fun to chain stuff, I may overlook the visuals that aren’t to my taste and play it more. At least my character looks however I want outside of combat. :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on March 18, 2024 9:35PM
  • Aerin
    Aerin
    ✭✭✭
    I understand all your points of view. However, from my perspective, this "Mephala Arms (staff)" would be amazing for my Arcanist character. Unfortunately, there's no incentive for me to purchase it if I can't see it beforehand. Trust me, I really want to. But if I can't preview it, why should I buy it?

    I know ZoS will not take any action on this matter. But now, they also know they will not earn any money from me this time.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, people also paid for arcanist to see/enjoy their visual effects. A lot of people who play arcanist really enjoy the look of those effects (myself included) I'd rather not have them removed.

    It doesn't bother me, because I can always see my weapon skins outside of combat, when I'm unbuffed. When I'm in combat, I'm so busy paying attention to the battlefield and moving so fast that I'm not seeing my skins anyway.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Takes a bad quality tiny screenshot and says effect is bad.

    I love that effect in my weapon.
     
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I love, love, love the effect of that Arcanist skill and I would be very disappointed if they'd remove it. I see your point though, but I don't know what's the middle ground. I'm still sad and salty about ZOS removing the glowing eyes from Mage Light.

    There would be a simple middle ground... they should give players the option to toggle off the display of those horrible vfx. Those who like them, for whatever reason, can have have them while the rest of rest of wouldn't be bothered by the visual noise.
    It would also solve the issue with the horrid red perma glow for a certain nightblade skill...
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • katanagirl1
      katanagirl1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I like the arcanist’s staff glow, it’s always been that way. We are wielding the power of Hermaeus Mora!

      I hate the nightblade glow because they broke it - it used to inform you of an ability’s ready state but a code change and (in my opinion) lack of foresight made it permanent.

      I don’t buy cosmetics though, that’s not the issue.

      At least the staff doesn’t glow all the time like nightblade skill.
      Khajiit Stamblade
      Dark Elf Magsorc
      Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
      Orc Stamplar PVP
      Breton Magsorc PVP

      PS5 NA

    • NeoniKa
      NeoniKa
      ✭✭✭
      Aerin wrote: »
      Hi Zos, I really, really want to buy this:
      arms.jpg


      But then, I will spend 2000 Crowns to have this:
      arms1.jpg



      Come on ZoS... why???? Can you please remove this horrible effect from the Scholarship skill so we can buy nice costumes for our weapons. Please!

      And no... sadly, I don't believe I will buy this or any other arms pack. It doesn't make any sense!

      That's exactly the reason I never used that skill on my arcanist and I'll never use it. :smiley:

      I see so many players using it that I thought it was just me. :smiley: I really prefer to lose some DPS than to ruin my characters look. Those effects are too much for my taste. :smile:
    • NeoniKa
      NeoniKa
      ✭✭✭
      Dragonnord wrote: »
      Takes a bad quality tiny screenshot and says effect is bad.

      I love that effect in my weapon.
       

      It's the same with a ultra high resolution screenshot. It still covers your weapon. :smile:
    • StihlReign
      StihlReign
      ✭✭✭✭
      It would be nice if all effects had a toggle. Some offenders are so bad they bug, and then we're left with strobes and all kinds of horrible looking effects.
      "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

      Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

      "You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

      He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

      LoS
    • Alaztor91
      Alaztor91
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I never understood why ZOS doesn't implement a client-side toggle for these kinds of visual effects. Stuff like Grim Focus, Lightning Form, Tome-Bearer's Inspiration, etc.

      I know that it's for a different purpose, but the ''Show Additional Ally Effects'' graphics option kind of proves that they have the capacity to hide certain effects client-side.
    Sign In or Register to comment.