The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Markarth - City NPCs duplication bug.

Knaxia
Knaxia
✭✭✭
I ran into a very weird duplication issue with most NPCs in Markarth while doing the main quest, but I think I've found what was causing it since it is now fixed.

WARNING : will contain spoilers

So as usual, when I do a main quest, I will complete any side quest while I see them. This time, on my way to Bthar-Zel for the main story quest, I found the quest of the lady with her lost rabbit and husband (Quest : Lost in the Reach ). I accepted it but didn't do it. Later during the story line, after the attack of Markarth, upon entering the city to warn the Ard, I noticed that the majority of the NPCs in the city had been killed, but their alive counterpart were also still there and interact-able. From now on, for the rest of the entire story, including the extra part when you did both Western Skyrim and the Reach, there had always been duplicates, both alive and dead of all NPCs that were supposed to be killed. Even when I finished the final quest, both versions of all characters were alive in their original location, and alive in their resurrected location.

This includes, but not limited to :
-Athdar's group (the 2 Redguards)
-Old Glonn
-The girl that was laying sideway on the bridge near by him
-Pryner and Bienghar in front of the Understone Keep door
-The two scholars in blue robes on the way to Nchuand-Zel
-Glyna and Bretull near the throne room

I had completed all side quests, including the 3 symbol pieces scattered around, I had found all locations, cleared all dungeons, skyshards, storms, etc., except that quest. At some point I stopped really caring, until I went to finish that rabbit quest when I noticed I hadn't completed it. It's only after when going to turn in my dailies that I noticed that all duplicated NPCs were gone from their original location, and only the resurrected versions were there.

So in all, it seems that leaving that quest unfinished (or never taken?) will make all NPCs in Markarth stay at their original location until completion.

I'd say that bug was a little immersion breaking, but funny at the same time.