The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A different type of class change token?

Malyore
Malyore
✭✭✭
I know there's already a current and large thread discussing the desire for class change tokens, but here I want to discuss ideas players have on how it could be done. Specifically, what they are willing to give up to make it possible if that's the only route available.

I'm not sure what the technical issues are to the concept of class change tokens, and I'm not sure if we'll ever be privy to the information. But I assume since new skill lines and new classes and character slots can be added via dlcs, that the addition of assets isnt necessarily the problem. Perhaps it is the quantity of available skills that might be needed to be added that's an issue?
Would adding class change tokens mean EVERY character on the server, including all the new players and characters (even people who wouldn't use a class change token), would need to have the data pool of every class and skill line to pull from? And only the selected class is enabled and the rest are disabled, but still taking up resources?

If that or something like it is the case, what about a class swap token? Something where you have to have an alternate character of a different class that you level up, and if you want to do a class change you essentially swap with that alternate character? The resources and information on level progress from one character gets stored on the other, that way the information being stored on the server is the same. I'm not sure if this would actually be possible or help at all, but it was an idea I had.

If it's not possible, would players who want to use a class change token be willing to compromise on something else? Would you be willing to only change classes on one character, and once it's used for that character you can't use it on others? Maybe then only one character has to store all the extra data. Or perhaps if we sacrificed character slots for each class we want available, that would also help.

I could be completely off the mark with my assumptions, but it doesn't hurt to speculate and hear other folks thoughts.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 18, 2024 10:11AM
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you who wouldn't want to personally use a class change token, ideally nothing would affect you. This thread is for discussing how it might be possible and for the players that want one. If you do not want a class change token and want to voice that, there are other threads to do so.
    Edited by Malyore on March 17, 2024 8:28PM
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First we asked for Class tokens, then we had Knowledge tokens next we'll ask for Class translation generators.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    that would be cool too, for me, if it's possible.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    They really managed to mess up many things during development I guess, still it's possible I'm sure, one way or another. At the very least they could transfer your character progression into a new one. Probably too much work and not the highest priority really, since you can just make alts and buy almost everything (like skyshards, skill lines) for ridiculous prices in crown store.
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭
    Malyore wrote: »
    Specifically, what they are willing to give up to make it possible if that's the only route available.

If it's not possible, would players who want to use a class change token be willing to compromise on something else?

This line of reasoning has never made sense to me. It's like the concept of requesting miracles from deities and offering stuff in return, such as signing away your firstborn child or whatnot. e.g., we get a class change token, in exchange for some awful curse that prevents that character from ever equipping a weapon, or similar.

If, as you speculate, there was a resource issue created by the game having to massively duplicate player data, then the obvious solution would be to delete that duplicate data. If you have mastered a skill line, then you can buy that progression for an alt that has never leveled it. I think the same principle could be applied in such a case.

If you really did delete and restore in such a way, then perhaps you'd have to level up the abilities and their morphs again, but they would be unlocked. That's a compromise I'd be fine with if it came down to it.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm against class change tokens but if they were put in the game I think one and done would be the way to go. You change classes and all your class skills get set back to zero. You get your skill points back and can assign them as you develop the new skills. No going back to your old class. All the skill advancement you did in that class would be gone as if you were never that class.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    Ugrak wrote: »
    Malyore wrote: »
    Specifically, what they are willing to give up to make it possible if that's the only route available.

If it's not possible, would players who want to use a class change token be willing to compromise on something else?

This line of reasoning has never made sense to me. It's like the concept of requesting miracles from deities and offering stuff in return, such as signing away your firstborn child or whatnot. e.g., we get a class change token, in exchange for some awful curse that prevents that character from ever equipping a weapon, or similar.

Deities? It's not that dire. My thinking was if zos is mechanically unable to make a "perfect class change token", then perhaps an imperfect one would still be satisfactory to the people requesting them.

I don't know how coding and memory and server data works for an MMO. I don't know what their technical issues are that stop them from making a class change currently possible. Until they explain the situation, all I can do is speculate. I was unsure if deleting the old data is something they could do. I was thinking of vampire and WW skill lines. I don't know if those are truly created and destroyed, or if they are always available on all characters but toggled off until the quest makes them available for use. It's speculation on my end. Perhaps someone who knows better can clarify.
    But if data management isn't the issue, then I don't know what is. They can add whole new classes and skill lines to the game, unlock skill lines on characters, yet cannot change class skills to another class. That lead me to believe that new abilities can be downloaded into the game, but perhaps class skills are more deeply rooted into the character, where as maybe world/weapon skills are a preset, always available pool to all characters that have to be pulled from. That's what lead me to think perhaps deleting class skills/data is extremely difficult, thus resulting in the only option to be addition of data which creates a resource problem.

I could be entirely wrong.
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm remembering right, I believe I read a dev say somewhere that the restriction is basically that the class is baked entirely into the data of your character, so to mess with the class would mean having to breakdown and redesign your entire characters data, but around the new class instead. I suppose if that is the case, the trade off to a class change would be some sort of a reset for your character, either in levels, achivements, inventory, or character knowledge
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

Because there is a thread already open on this topic, we're going to close this one down so that all feedback can be consolidated in one place. You may continue the discussion here.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.