The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Please fix the Jabs animation

merpins
merpins
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
The new animation is terrible. It's also no longer really new. I've articulated it in the past (I'm a professional animator), during the u35 PTS, how to fix it, what could be put into it to make it better, how it's bad... Like you can go in and edit the animation to be better! It won't take long! It needs better timing and some tweaks to the arcs of the spear, take the 45 minutes to an hour of work that it would take to fix it to make it satisfying to use! Right now it blows! The old animation looked and felt great to use, but this new one [snip] and shouldn't exist in a fully released game as it currently is.

[snip]

Just... Fix it already. I'm sure you're busy. But just give an animator a project to tweak it slightly to make it better. Give someone two hours of work to work on it. At Zenimax, how much is that two hours of work for one person, less than a hundred bucks? My wallet is open, I'll pay that hundred bucks. Just... Fix it already. Or revert it. The current animation is terrible.

[edited for bashing & profanity bypass]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 11, 2024 1:45PM
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should have posted this in one of the already existing jabs post or the post that was already made about that video
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jestir wrote: »
    Maybe you should have posted this in one of the already existing jabs post or the post that was already made about that video

Like one of my many already existing threads from and since U35? Or the thread that was an overview on this video and not specifically on jabs? Bumping old threads causes them to be shut down, and the other post isn't about jabs.
  • antihero_kazuma
    I'm right there with you... Along with the flurry animation that looks like you're leaving yourself wide open after the attack.
  • KS_Amt38
    KS_Amt38
    ✭✭✭
    They wont change it like the Necro innovation. Get used to that reality.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the devs draw a line in the sand....

It's not changing.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree. Many of us have asked for this from before but that's ok I'll just take a back seat.
    Edited by Vulkunne on March 11, 2024 4:53AM
    Today victory is still mines. Long Live the Empire. VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the animation easier to see when stacked with the group in trials and fits the timing of the skill better.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

It's not changing.

You're absolutely right as always its their game.

I'll just quit playing Templar anymore, which by and large I really have done so anyways. Had two and deleted one, considering getting rid of the other one as I just have no use for it. Jabs was so good from before and was the selling point for the class. When they broke jabs (probably in favor of a small minority of the community that deals with Trials mostly) they broke the class. And that's why we're up in arms about it because they ruined a good thing. Although as I have said, its not all on ZOS because you have these streamers putting all these videos out there showing how you can basically exploit using Jabs with no rotation. So no it wasn't surprising ZOS changed it but its disappointing we're all being ignored because of what a few people were doing for attention.

An eye for an eye and we all go blind. If this is how ZOS wants to be about this then let us all remain 'unmoved' as they say. And that can be done in many ways cause I want my Templar the way it was and I want other people to get a real job, stop posting crap that's going to mess with the game and tell ZOS directly if you find an exploit.
    Edited by Vulkunne on March 11, 2024 4:53AM
    Today victory is still mines. Long Live the Empire. VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »

It's not changing.

You're absolutely right as always its their game.

I will just quit from playing Templar anymore, which by and large I really have done so anyways. Had two and deleted one, considering getting rid of the other one as I just have no use for it. Jabs was so good from before and was the selling point for the class. When they broke jabs (probably in favor of a small minority of the community that deals with Trials mostly) they broke the class. And that's why we're up in arms about it because they ruined a good thing. Although as I have said, its not all on ZOS because you have these streamers putting all these videos out there showing how you can basically exploit using Jabs with no rotation. So no it wasn't surprising ZOS changed it but its disappointing we're all being ignored because of what a few people were doing for attention.

An eye for an eye and we all go blind. If this is how ZOS wants to be about this then let us all remain 'unmoved' as they say. And that can be done in many ways.

Yeah. I never really like jabs - and I like it less now than before. So I just don't play my (very few) templars (wasn't ever al class I was much interested in).

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jabs looks like waving around a pvc pipe with a shoe on the end

Flurry looks like banging on the some drums

Dizzy swing you’re golfing
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    I like the animation easier to see when stacked with the group in trials and fits the timing of the skill better.

The animation is terrible, though it is more legible than before when it comes to design. Timing is also fine when it comes to when each hit goes out. But
    1. distinguishing when your hits are actually hitting the target is more difficult than before despite the clarity of the spear model
    2. the theme is the same, a spear of light. It's easier to see that it's a spear now, sure, but the motif they used is a vampire motif, so the theme is wrong lore wise.
    3. Despite it being timed better to the actual hits, the animation timing is terrible and choppy. The only keyframes that are accurate is the moment of impact. That's all that matters when it comes to a skill? not at all.

It fails in everything except clarity of the skill itself, which isn't exactly important in the long run but only at a glance. If you like it, fine, but that just tells me you don't have an eye for animation. And that's fine! But a lot of players play games because they like to see the visuals of the game, and good visuals are important to them. Myself included.
    Edited by merpins on March 11, 2024 4:54AM
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can only assume the new animations were created by the child of a senior executive who was in the office doing work experience. That would be why nobody dares revert it back to the better animation.

But seriously, with the new animation I regularly get animation desyncs that I don't get with most other skills. It is bad on many levels.
    PC - NA
  • JonesFPS
    JonesFPS
    ✭✭✭
    I just want the old jabs animation back. should not be so hard to revert that change. But i wont believe they'll do it.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to not think about the evil vampire staff they make me use every time I play my "holy" character. Why did they deliberately choose something that goes against established lore? Yet not once have they spoken up to make it make sense.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Hard to not think about the evil vampire staff they make me use every time I play my "holy" character. Why did they deliberately choose something that goes against established lore? Yet not once have they spoken up to make it make sense.

This is really what annoys me. The animation itself has never been good and doesn't faze me one way or another.

But that they couldn't even be bothered to create a unique spear for one of the base game classes core skills? And that they picked one completely contrary to the class theme?

It's just pathetic. And I don't say that out of malice, just disappointment.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they're not changing it. it sucks, but they won't admit they made a mistake, so don't really hold your breath. there has been sooo much backlash when they released the new animation and they (devs) won't even acknowledge it. so i stopped playing my Tamplar (who, up until that point, had been my main). as many former Templas did. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 11, 2024 6:29PM
  • RetPing
    RetPing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jab animation, NB permaglow, so many good change they have made
    players love them!
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in a sad state that's for sure, it hurts when we get changes to things that were completely fine before
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a reminder, Templars are supposed to use spears of light, as is in their class description. The "spear" the new jabs animation is actually using is a glowing night hollow staff. It's not even a spear or spear of light like the other templar spear animations are, it's a night hollow staff. So it doesn't even match the other templar spear animations. And, a spear lunge is supposed to be straight forward and back, not flipped around the hip like in the new animation.

But ya, ZOS listens to feedback, right? We've been giving this feedback consistently since before U35 was released, and U41 is released today I think.

Edited by ProudMary on March 11, 2024 12:31PM
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not changing.

I wonder if a RED line on a chart would help change minds. Jabs Not that big of an issue to effect this type of direct change but remember Red lines often come from a total of net negatives. Original Animation meets customer needs, this one does not. Seems a no-brainer to me.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the spirit of ongoing commitment to better communication...

there will continue to be no response to this thread, or any other Jabs threads.
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »

Like one of my many already existing threads from and since U35? Or the thread that was an overview on this video and not specifically on jabs? Bumping old threads causes them to be shut down, and the other post isn't about jabs.

I think we need to keep complaining until we get a response from the devs. Have they given us a reason as to why the new animations were done?
    Edited by moderatelyfatman on March 11, 2024 1:09PM
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭

I think we need to keep complaining until we get a response from the devs. Have they given us a reason as to why the new animations were done?

It might have been in the patch notes, but I'm not sure. Anyway, what makes you think they owe you said explanation?
    Every publisher does as it pleases in a way they consider good for their product. Some people like it, others will not. Their reason for doing it will not satisfy people anyway Threads like this will die and resurface every now and then until the old players have moved on to another game or just tire of complaining about something they know will not change.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It might have been in the patch notes, but I'm not sure.

From the U35 patch notes (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/615315/pc-mac-patch-notes-v8-1-5-lost-depths-dlc-update-35):
    Puncturing Strikes:
    • This ability and its morphs now hit 3 times over a channel time of 800ms, rather than 4 times over 1 second.
    • Implemented new animations and visual effects to match the attack cadence.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These topics and issues mentioned are nothing new.

All I can say is that lots of the topics being brought up now have been brought up many times in the past, even in this point today. The animations, the red glow, templar jabs, bugs, mistakes, etc... those discussions have been going on for years. I've seen the forums. It's everywhere.

No online game is perfect, everyone makes mistakes. Some mistakes mentioned happened months and even years ago. Games have millions and even up billions of lines of code. Tons of databases and categories the developers have to review and patch. It's normal for bugs to exist and be missed.

Also the instant gratification (expecting problems to be instantly resolved in this case) is not helping. Developers are very busy people who have more important tasks to do and much more higher priorities to worry about. The smaller issues come later. These things take time.

My words and opinions on the video:
    I had to switch networks(on my phone) inorder to watch it because on my main one-- it was blocked.

I watched 10 minutes out of the 33 minute long video. I agreed with the part that said "Zenimax could be under-staffed" and some of the bugs pointed out.

The person speaking on the video was giving out precise, clear information, persuasive speaking, and his own opinions on the game. Unfortunately the only problem I had with the video is it is the length of a TV show. If it were shorter (5 to 10 minutes in length) and had less cussing, then I would of watched the whole thing.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we need to keep complaining until we get a response from the devs.

We tried that with a 92 page thread about them corrupting the Bosmer lore and making them unstealthy. They ended up closing the thread because it had 'run it's course.'

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

I think we need to keep complaining until we get a response from the devs.

We tried that with a 92 page thread about them corrupting the Bosmer lore and making them unstealthy. They ended up closing the thread because it had 'run it's course.'

How many pages was the Maelstrom changes feedback thread? Or AwA? It’s pretty much the SOP around here.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep getting puzzled over changes to jabs, flurry, Grim Focus etc, and why they're not changed back or spoken about. ZOS have said that they don't change anything when it has gone live. Well, clearly that's not the case.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Stalking_TheKnight
    Stalking_TheKnight
    Soul Shriven
    I stopped using my Templar because of this. It now looks like a bent curtain rod rather than a spear. Onya ZOS. Just fix it already