The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

I play on 220 to 240ms. What is your latency in ESO? Would you consider playing on 200 or 300ms?

• silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    700 - 999+ on satellite internet in Australia.

Only group stuff I usually do is group dungeons, managed some of the base game vet ones just fine, as the mechanics became more and more, you screw up you die in DLC ones, I stopped bothering with vet difficulty.

Ever looked at starlink? We got it now. Can get refurbished equipment cheaper. Hardware Unboxed (YouTube) swapped over from nbn wireless to it. Hasn't looked back.

I've played on 3g while away from home before. I feel that pain.
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not paying 45 : lol :
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »
    Fkey wrote: »
    Personally, as a former Network Engineer, I don't think Zos's ISP connection can handle the input/output calculations per second per player going into and out of their servers.
    Add up all the hots, dots, buffs, debuffs, procs, damage done, damage received being calculated every 0.1 times (or faster) per second per player and
    yea the game design probably exceeds their ISP connection's capability.
    Edit: I mean traffic shaping based on resource use can only do so much,
    eventually it all has to go in and out the same pipe.

I've held this view for a number of years as well. Though I think in part it is also likely on the software side as well. One way of handling large quantities of networked objects that all have view of one-another (like in cyrodiil for example) is to basically set a cap on your per-frame bandwidth allowance and then process as many objects and send as much of that data out as possible within that limit. If you cap out, any remaining objects get bumped up in priority so that they are first in line for the next frame. This would explain a lot of the weird stuff that happens in large battles where some are able to function now and then while others are stuck waiting for an action to be processed. It would also explain why the performance suddenly spiked to the ceiling shortly after the hardware upgrades and has gradually settled down to a spot that isn't quite as bad as before but still not as good as we've seen it - likely a tuning process to get that happy medium between good-enough performance and reasonable bandwidth costs.

Is there an addon for this kind of stuff. To know if your send/receive lines up? Even just if eso is detecting keypresses.

I've also noticed the down hill in performance after the sever upgrades. Even just in pve land.
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ping is 220-250, though it gets much higher in Cyrodiil, and it does suck when your skills feel clanky and unresponsive, when half the time you think you've weapon swapped but you're still on the same bar, or you are trying to interact with something fast (the revolving door effect comes to mind :smiley:). But it's possible to be effective on a high ping (and since you mentioned NB, you can check out Pelican's videos on YT, they are a good PvPer who play with a high latency), you just have to adjust to it, and as an aside, I find that trying to be very fast can actually be counter productive, especially with weaving. I wish one day I could play on 50ms just to see how smooth casting would be, but I think it's definitely possible to do decently and enjoy the game on higher pings.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silky_soft wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »
    On a good day, my ping is 750+ ms. MOST days it's 999+.... I press a key, wait, press, the next and so on. It's gimped but does work, for me at least. I'm still here nearly 7 years later....

You're the real mvp mate. I heard starlink is great for lower ping. Cost of equipment is bit of a stinker though I've seen. I guess it's just another cost in PC gaming.

If starlink worked here I'd have a mobile hotspot in my SUV which might improve things. But that service doesn't work (in fact, they refunded me the month I paid for it because I was never able to get any connection at all) so I'm out of luck. In fact, I have to run my iPhone through my wifi, as there's only one bar service on verizon (which is more than I ever had with AT&T!)

Yes, I live in the back of beyond - in the lower 48. It's a lovely back of beyond, quiet, lots of wildlife to watch, clean air and water, cheap utilities. And no real broadband! Love living here.... but I really would like a better network option.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    from 30 to 999+ it fluctuates a lot often 120 i dont think it is my end other games it is 20 ping
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play on around 300 ping, no there is nothing I can do about it I am about as far as you can possibly be from a server.

I play strategically and use siege in PVP with no intention of actually ever winning a fight.
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Zealand to EU server a steady 330. Spikes to 500 odd sometimes.

My ember says at full bar health on screen 'I'm not feeling so good' i send a heal but by then she's dead. She also knows when i get a cp before the screen says it to me. Group dungeons my toon just raises and lowers her weapon, because the others have taken out the npc already. Only get a shot in if there's more than enough npc to go around....
    Edited by Pelanora on March 2, 2024 8:43AM
  • MarioMario
    MarioMario
    ✭✭✭
    PC EU
    666 KM from datacenter (according to google)
    50-60 ms
    Optic Fiber
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a good day, my ping is 750+ ms. MOST days it's 999+.... I press a key, wait, press, the next and so on. It's gimped but does work, for me at least. I'm still here nearly 7 years later....

You're the real mvp mate. I heard starlink is great for lower ping. Cost of equipment is bit of a stinker though I've seen. I guess it's just another cost in PC gaming.

If starlink worked here I'd have a mobile hotspot in my SUV which might improve things. But that service doesn't work (in fact, they refunded me the month I paid for it because I was never able to get any connection at all) so I'm out of luck. In fact, I have to run my iPhone through my wifi, as there's only one bar service on verizon (which is more than I ever had with AT&T!)

Yes, I live in the back of beyond - in the lower 48. It's a lovely back of beyond, quiet, lots of wildlife to watch, clean air and water, cheap utilities. And no real broadband! Love living here.... but I really would like a better network option.

I feel ya. When I moved to my current location around 2017 I didn't have access to any kind of internet for over two years! I had to drive almost thirty miles to get to the nearest wifi hotspot any time I needed it. Even cell access is extremely limited and often impossible due to the mountains.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »

I feel ya. When I moved to my current location around 2017 I didn't have access to any kind of internet for over two years! I had to drive almost thirty miles to get to the nearest wifi hotspot any time I needed it. Even cell access is extremely limited and often impossible due to the mountains.

Huh. Sounds like you live down the street from me! The ridges between this small area and the cell and 'net towers northwest of here prevent LOS, which is why things are so difficult for about 5 of us. The guy who built right up the hill from us does better with one of the local 'net companies, but they looked at my place and said nope. Of course, he doesn't have the speed and stability with the local company that I have with HughesNet either. The weird thing is that up in the other end of this little town (so east of me about 3 miles) they have perfect internet and cell service....

Ah well. Husband's not going to be able to handle climbing up and down this hill for too many more years, so probably I'll have to sell and move into town eventually. Don't really want to....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA
    208 KM from datacenter
    30-45 ms
    AT&T fiber
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    250-300 ping all the time.

Welph, I'll be in super earth for now.

For Democracy, have a nice cup of Liber-TEA!!!
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see starlink still needs a large amount of sky to use. Just wait till they get them all up there I guess and try again.

I've noticed the bar swap thing now more someone has mentioned it. I swap and do a buff instead of cloak. Then die.

Jealous of the low ping players. But, on the forums anyway, it seems like it's half and half low ping high ping.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ping hovers around 300ms (from an ADSL connection) these days, from the bottom of New Zealand.

It used to be better when i first played ESO in 2016, it was around 220, but things changed somewhere and ping got worse.

I only go to Cyro for skyshards and PvE Vet content is now too difficult.

If more actions were performed client-side than server side, then the game would be better, but I understand why Zos chose their direction.

I don't really play much any more as I stopped playing endgame content. I just craft, collect mats and skyshards.

I would not recommend the game to anyone outside Europe or the USA. There are better games.

ESO still has more content than Starfield :)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    I play on NA from the EU, because all my friends play on NA and i have no motivation to play on EU since it would mean re-grinding everything and having no friends to play with anyway, I wish i could just have 1 set of characters shared across both servers like i can on other MMOs tbh but I Digress.

My ping can range from 190 to 280 on a good day, or i'm in PVE. if i go to PVP though, things go down the toilet quickly and I believe it's due to the way the client/server handle messaging, it's not very optimized and falls apart very badly at these ranges. It's sad, but i've said to my friends many times that the reason my DPS is lower than theirs on the same build is because of latency, not because i'm a bad player.

You can easily re-produce the difference if you set up a template build with a basic rotation and use something to send timed keystrokes to the client while facing it at a training dummy and recording the results. the higher the ping, the lower the DPS. this is due to skills triggering too late or not at all due to dropped messages based on my own observations.

Oakensoul was a promising set item when it came out, as it at least allowed those of us with high latency to focus more on direct damage weave over buffs, but then that got nerfed in to the floor because of 'complaints', which went against the very reason it was brought in to begin with - Accessibility.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my avg ping is usually 60-90

in cyro it sometimes gets higher to where it becomes almost unplayable at times

usually around 120-130 ping is when i start noticing any skills with cast times and melee skills become unusable

250+ ping most of skills stop working entirely

basically anything above 300 i consider the game almost unplayable
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly a lot of players, especially PvPers get the false assumption that they are so much more skilled then they actually are oblivious to what it feels like to have high ping, read many of the previous comments and you have people complaining about ping that is already better then what us Australians could only dream of having.
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on March 2, 2024 12:21AM
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Average ping PC/EU for me is 280-320. Not ideal - but at least I can take part in Midyear Mayhems now. For several years it just wasn't possible - I disconnected without ever seeing another player outside of the faction base, and there were plenty of times I died just outside a keep to players I couldn't even see because the ping was far too high. Now I can actually participate in sieges, and I'm grateful for that.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    around 200 tops to PC NA from Sweden.

I'd get better latency playing on NA but my bff plays NA so I play with him here.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    700 - 999+ on satellite internet in Australia.

Only group stuff I usually do is group dungeons, managed some of the base game vet ones just fine, as the mechanics became more and more, you screw up you die in DLC ones, I stopped bothering with vet difficulty.

Ever looked at starlink? We got it now. Can get refurbished equipment cheaper. Hardware Unboxed (YouTube) swapped over from nbn wireless to it. Hasn't looked back.

I've played on 3g while away from home before. I feel that pain.

To quote my old wow guildies in AUS:

NBN IS GARRRRRBOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doabhi wrote: »
    I play on NA from the EU, because all my friends play on NA and i have no motivation to play on EU since it would mean re-grinding everything and having no friends to play with anyway, I wish i could just have 1 set of characters shared across both servers like i can on other MMOs tbh but I Digress.

My ping can range from 190 to 280 on a good day, or i'm in PVE. if i go to PVP though, things go down the toilet quickly and I believe it's due to the way the client/server handle messaging, it's not very optimized and falls apart very badly at these ranges. It's sad, but i've said to my friends many times that the reason my DPS is lower than theirs on the same build is because of latency, not because i'm a bad player.

You can easily re-produce the difference if you set up a template build with a basic rotation and use something to send timed keystrokes to the client while facing it at a training dummy and recording the results. the higher the ping, the lower the DPS. this is due to skills triggering too late or not at all due to dropped messages based on my own observations.

Oakensoul was a promising set item when it came out, as it at least allowed those of us with high latency to focus more on direct damage weave over buffs, but then that got nerfed in to the floor because of 'complaints', which went against the very reason it was brought in to begin with - Accessibility.

I still parse about 77k with my oakensoul build which is enough for every base vet in the game anyway(my first vet trial was freaking vSE for crying out loud), but I don't have a desire to do anything super sweaty.
  • Arizona_Steve
    Arizona_Steve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Typically running between 60 and 100 from Arizona on a 1Gb connection via ethernet.
    Wannabe Thalmor - Altmer MagSorc
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC EU I have a 12ms ping to the servers and 50-70 ingame, depending on time of day /server population.
    On PC NA I have 160 to the servers and 200-220 ingame.

PC NA is playable, just light attack weaving is a pain. Also in big fights with many players, the server-load issues (ability delay, potions and skills not getting off, bar-swapping not working) are much worse on PC-NA. So solo content and easy group content is okay, but not PVP and group content where every bit of DPS counts.

Edited by Toanis on March 2, 2024 8:32AM