The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Crafting Event Ban

Azwrix
Azwrix
✭✭
ZoS is banning hundreds of accounts for their own mistakes. The crafting event was a joke mostly, half the features were removed because of bugs. Then all these people get banned for using a for something that harmed zero other people's experience. ZoS is again out of touch woth the player base. I'd love to hear your comments, thanks.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on February 27, 2024 3:13AM
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hundreds of accounts get banned within the same time frame. This appears to be a software algorithm(an AI) is doing the banning without human moderator review.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At a bare minimum, I think @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_Kevin should have answered our questions about if it was a bannable offense or not.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are being banned for deconning for transmutes? It seems to me too obvious to be considered an exploit — gear costs X transmutes to recon and returns 25 transmutes when deconned. ZOS announced a temporary change in X — what did players do wrong? ZOS is expecting players to interpret their intentions? What else can be said about it when players are not doing anything unusual but taking advantage of a discount offered.

I think the maximum ZOS could fairly do would be to remove excess transmutes gained in this fashion, but maybe not possible if the players had already used them to recon other gear.

I did not get to take advantage of the reduced recon cost in any fashion, nor would I have used it to generate transmutes because I try to avoid anything that I could conceive of being looked at funny, and because I do not think it is how the recon discount was intended to be used. But I cannot in fairness say that this mistake was not entirely on ZOS and not the players.

(Edit: Fixed typo.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 26, 2024 2:24PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While the event was a mess, it is not an excuse to very clearly exploit. Personally, I’d say rollback the affected accounts with the time between the ban and unban being a tempban, but I’m not in charge.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS making a mistake doesn't allow us to exploit.

It was so obvious that reconstructing a piece of gear for 12 crystals and then deconstructing it for 25 was not intended.

Still, people continued to reconstruct + decon countless times, 100% on purpose.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are being banned for deconning for transmutes? It seems to me too obvious to be considered an exploit — gear costs X transmutes to recon and returns 25 transmutes when deconned. ZOS announced a temporary change in X — what did players do wrong? ZOS is expecting players to interpret their intentions? What else can be said about it when players are bot doing anything unusual but taking advantage of a discount offered.

Yes, you needed to interpret ZOS' intentions. It was quite clearly a discount on reconstruction, not a glide path to infinite transmute crystals. If people had reconstructed gear and tried it out in content or on test dummies for a while and then decided they did not like it and deconned it, I can absolutely see that being normal and expected use of the crafting event. And I don't think those are the people getting banned. The bug was hotfixed pretty quickly, and legitimate use of reconstruction and deconstruction would have resulted in only minor unintended transmute gain.

But constantly reconstructing garbage gear you never even equip, then instantly deconning it, as a path to endless crystals? No one in their right mind would think that is intended. If ZOS wanted us to have infinite crystals for the event, they would have just bumped everyone up to 1000 crystals and made reconstruction free for duration event, not made players jump through hoops.

If a store was having a 50% off sale and you bought something for $12, then returned it and got $25 back, then started buying everything in the store and returning it instantly, would you say, "Well, they know how their cash registers and computers and sales work. This must be what they intended!"

Yes, dollars are a more valuable currency than transmute crystals. But a currency is a currency. And no central bank, by design, is going to hand out a printing press to users. It was painfully and obviously a bug/oversight in the event design. And playing dumb and acting like this must have been what ZOS wanted is silly.

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Creating hundreds of nirncrux to flood the economy absolutely hurts the experience of those who got them fairly. I hope they only banned obvious exploiters and not people who only got a little bit of stuff because they wanted to try out the gear or whatever
    Edited by spartaxoxo on February 26, 2024 2:01AM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What? You're telling me people got banned for exploiting an obvious exploit in a game whose TOS explicitly says you'll get banned for exploiting exploits and has done this exact thing multiple times in the past? No way. That's crazy, [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 26, 2024 11:14AM
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Do you all honestly think bans are warranted? [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 26, 2024 11:20AM
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If these bans are about transmute/nirncrux cheesing aka "exploiting a bug" at least temporary bans and rollbacks are more then justified.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, no. This was effectively an item duplication glitch. I am not inclined to believe anyone could reasonably assume it to be the expected and intended behavior.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think whether or not banning were justified would depend on each individual case, which is why appealing is recommended.

If someone reconstructed a single piece of gear, said "Oh, crud, I picked the wrong trait," and deconstructed it so they could do it again correctly, that's one thing, and it seems perfectly understandable and non-exploitative.

But if someone did the reconstruction/deconstruction over and over again so many times that it clearly must have been very deliberate on their part, then that's obvious exploitation of an unintended programming oversight.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If really depends on how badly someone abused the exploit. If someone did it a few times and stopped, I'd be inclined to say no ban. Do it 25 or more and I'd say goodbye. Anything in between is maybe a warning or a suspension for a day or two.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's like getting banned for picking too many resource nodes during double resource node event. It's free resources out of nowhere, obvious exploit. So what if it is literally advertised with huge official ZOS popup in your face upon logging in, you should know better and not spend too much time participating in the event.

It was not some obscure bug that occurs under rare and very special circumstances, which was secretly abused by those few who learned about it through word of mouth. It was a thing promoted by ZOS, none of the players were looking to do this that day, not before ZOS incentivized them with their banner covering whole screen. Cheap reconstruction, cheap transmutation, increased chance to get materials from deconstruction. Was it a test to see who is trustworthy, and not an event?

It was officially advertised. There was incentive from developers to engage with transmutation/reconstruction/deconstruction systems.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a bug exploit, very clearly, ppl who did it broke the TOS, maybe a permban was too harsh, but a ban was legit.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • uniqpy
    uniqpy
    ✭✭✭
    If you intentionally exploit a bug, you'll get banned. Every guild i'm in informed the members that would be the case and here we are.

The excuse "BuT zOs pUT THe bUG In". Yes, and you chose to exploit it. Granted it shouldn't be permanent as the accounts are easily rolled back and the exploiting undone.

I doubt many "innocent" players were caught up in this.

In real life, if your bank makes a mistake and you get given more money than they should, guess what? Your responsible for not spending it and informing the bank. Too many people cannot take responsibility for their own actions.
  • Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are not meant to be able to get back more transmutes than you spend.

[snip] a method was introduced where you could gain more transmutes for deconstructing then it took to reconstruct.

Oversight or not, it is unintended and taking advantage of it is exploiting.

Should the players be permanently banned? Not at all.
    A rollback should have been done as soon as the exploit was fixed.

Also, those banned aren't everyone who exploited the other event. A lot of people either had no repercussions or just had their current transmute currency reset to zero.

If you told people about the bug via in-game chat appears to be a factor in wether you got banned or not. Spreading information about exploits.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 26, 2024 3:18PM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    a member of my guild decon'd 2 rings and got perma ban nothing from ZOS other than the auto reply, they appealled and still nothing
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    It's like getting banned for picking too many resource nodes during double resource node event.
    Not even the same thing.
    Double resources from double-resource nodes is intended, and they don't ban people for "picking too many" resources during those events when double resources are offered. (there is no cap on gathering resources.)

It was a thing promoted by ZOS...
    It was officially advertised.
    No. It was not.

Only the Reconstruction discount portion of that process was advertised (Reconstruction for 12 crystals.)

Getting the full 25 crystals back upon Deconstruction of those items was NOT advertised, nor promoted, and was an
    unintentional bug, that people CHOSE to continue exploiting after the bug had been made known publicly; some even having the hubris to brag about on the forums.

Edited by Grizzbeorn on February 26, 2024 12:18PM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Dragonnord
      Dragonnord
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      a member of my guild decon'd 2 rings and got perma ban nothing from ZOS other than the auto reply, they appealled and still nothing

I don't think your guild mate has been banned for deconstructing only 2 rings.

Edited by Dragonnord on February 26, 2024 12:38PM
      SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
    • Alienoutlaw
      Alienoutlaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Dragonnord wrote: »

i have no reason to disbelieve them
    • sleepy_worm
      sleepy_worm
      ✭✭✭
      I don't think AI ban waves are good for the game. It may get sanitized here, but off these forums, this company and this game have a certain reputation for this. Temporary bans (with proper communication) are ideal. But that's not what usually happens.
    • loosej
      loosej
      ✭✭✭✭

When I saw the announcement the first thing I did was reconstruct/deconstruct a piece of gear to see how that would work.

I really, really wasn't expecting to see a notification showing 25 crystals on deconstruction, and hadn't bothered to check my crystal balance before, so I did the same thing again to make sure the amount actually went up by 25 and it wasn't just a UI bug.

So in my case at least, 2 items weren't enough to trigger a ban. I did submit a ticket reporting the bug immediately after, not sure if that would/could have made a difference, all depends on how the ban bot works I guess.
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did they create and then decon the rings at the exact same time there was an exploit for doing that? Is this something that they frequently do? (These are rhetorical questions, I don't really care about the answers)

As for the appeal, it is well documented that it takes time for ZOS to work through an appeal and reply to it.
      Dragonnord wrote: »

Why not? I could see someone being scrutinized for creating and deconstructing just one ring.

Unlike the farming resource node argument above, I suspect that constructing then turning around and deconstructing gear is not something that happens a lot. Unusual, even if we take into consideration the event and mistakes. People doing this would sort of stand out.

Edited by Elsonso on February 26, 2024 1:36PM
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • jad11mumbler
      jad11mumbler
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Azwrix wrote: »
      ZoS is banning hundreds of accounts for their own mistakes. The crafting event was a joke mostly, half the features were removed because of bugs. Then all these people get banned for using a for something that harmed zero other people's experience. ZoS is again out of touch woth the player base. I'd love to hear your comments, thanks.

If you exploited the event it's entirely on you and you deserve the ban.

If someone drops their wallet Infront of you, it's wrong to keep it, even if its "their fault for dropping it".

174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
    • Alienoutlaw
      Alienoutlaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Elsonso wrote: »

Why did they create and then decon the rings at the exact same time there was an exploit for doing that? Is this something that they frequently do?

As for the appeal, it is well documented that it takes time for ZOS to work through an appeal and reply to it.

they had made a ring in the wrong trait deconned it and made another and deconned another ring for mats
      Edited by Alienoutlaw on February 26, 2024 1:26PM
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Elsonso wrote: »

Why did they create and then decon the rings at the exact same time there was an exploit for doing that? Is this something that they frequently do?

they had made a ring in the wrong trait deconned it and made another and deconned another ring for mats

Updated my original comment to reflect that I am not looking for answers, and that the questions were rhetorical. Fact is, we don't know what they were doing or why they were doing it. If your guild mate was doing nothing wrong, then I don't expect they will remained banned.
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • Major_Toughness
      Major_Toughness
      ✭✭✭✭
      Can you imagine if it was the other way around.

I'm not sure exactly how the code for this game works, or any online game, but if it is something like

If Crafting event = active
      Then Cost = Cost / 2

What is it was the same for deconstructing

If Crafting event = active
      Then Transmutes gained = Transmutes gained / 2

Would items we made for 25 given us 12 in return? So we lose Transmutes?

How would the game distinguish between a event reconstructed item or not. Does each item hold a timestamp of when it was created? I know crafted items retain old character names so that must be held by item.

Just seems not well thought out and lack of testing has caused them a huge issue.
    • loosej
      loosej
      ✭✭✭✭
      Just seems not well thought out and lack of testing has caused them a huge issue.

That's what it should be, an issue for them. Unfortunately they're making it a player issue. The fair thing to do would be to either spend time and resources reverting any gains that were made by using this bug, even if it takes an insane amount of work, or just let things be and learn from it for future events.
    • moo_2021
      moo_2021
      ✭✭✭✭
      It's not an exploit until someone reported and told ZoS to handle it.

Why? I can't think of any reason from a player's perspective. Worrying about fellow players having too many crystals?
    This discussion has been closed.