The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

There may be some people who don't know...

Resourceful
Resourceful
✭✭
For those of you who have been wondering where all those motifs are coming from that people are charging exorbitant amounts of gold for...

Let me fill you in. (Because I wondered for a while too)

The night stands and dressers in the main towns, (in my case Daggerfall), have a chance of dropping blue level recipes and motifs. Some players have spent hours running back and forth between houses waiting on re-spawns to "farm" these motifs.

If you don't want to pay 500-1500 gold for something that you can get yourself, this could be useful information to newer players or players who didn't get an opportunity to play on the beta.

You may come across what I did, which is that every drawer and cabinet and chest was always empty due to these "farmers", but be diligent and try and get your own motifs and better level recipes!

Good luck and have fun!
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just don't worry since it's likely the price of the books will drop significantly after a week or two since there will be so many of them available for sale. Besides not every person HAS to have all 14 books within the first few days of early release, take your time and enjoy the game ;)
  • ironicsilence
    Prices for EVERYTHING is going to be super high for the next month i'd guess, with the gaming going live for everyone people will be dropping silly amounts of coin on anything and everything
  • LostScot
    LostScot
    ✭✭✭
    You may come across what I did, which is that every drawer and cabinet and chest was always empty due to these "farmers", but be diligent and try and get your own motifs and better level recipes!

Heya, just thought I'd mention that these containers are instanced to the player, not to the world. Basically when you encounter a night stand or cabinet, there's a chance it will have something in it or it will be empty. You are not always guaranteed that these containers will have anything in them.

To test this go to an area that has very little passing traffic by way of other players. Loot all the containers in the area, then wait for them to reset. You'll find that even if no-one else goes near those containers only some of them will contain items, the rest will be empty - but not necessarily the same ones that were empty during your first pass.

Hope that helps clarify this point, no-one's beating you to the containers, it's just luck of the draw on a per-player basis as to whether a container has anything in it :)
  • Hadan_of_Rift
    Hadan_of_Rift
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostScot wrote: »
    Heya, just thought I'd mention that these containers are instanced to the player, not to the world. Basically when you encounter a night stand or cabinet, there's a chance it will have something in it or it will be empty. You are not always guaranteed that these containers will have anything in them.

Good info. I freaked out earlier when one of these dropped and my inventory was FULL and someone came running up, I junked the first item in my pack not even sure what it was because I didn't want them to get it.
    Edited by Hadan_of_Rift on April 3, 2014 3:23AM
  • Erahth
    Erahth
    Rule #1 of pretty much any MMO.
    Loot everything.
  • Kildar
    Kildar
    people ask crazy prices for everything. one guy was offering 50 iron ingots for 500 gold. where did they get that price? in a month everything will be mostly worthless. the only things that will be worth anything is special armor sets.
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strange enough, most motifs I found (2) was during the Daughter of Giants quest - my GF also found one on that one.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zargorius wrote: »
    Strange enough, most motifs I found (2) was during the Daughter of Giants quest - my GF also found one on that one.

Found a couple of blue provisioning recipes in that quest. Locked chests have a chance of dropping motifs books I believe (and maps)
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The ones I see staying extremely expensive, and probably more expensive than the OP stated, are Imperial, Ancient Elf, Primal, Barbaric and Daedric. Expect to pay out the nose for those no matter how long the game is live. Basing this off the fact that I am one of the sellers OP is referring to and have yet to find an Imperial. Do not even want to think about the others yet.