The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

People who go afk in battlegrounds should be punished

FeedbackOnly
FeedbackOnly
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I am talking about those who never leave spawn point
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't they get auto kicked for inactivity after a bit?
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't disagree, I also think that people going afk at a dungeon entrance should be punished.
    However, if someone doesn't want to PvP, they might as well jump down the plattform and then do nothing. An afk punishment would be a mild inconvenience for that kind of players, but they would find work arounds.
    Edited by thorwyn on February 22, 2024 8:27AM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they should be severely "punished"........ till they utter the safe word.
    Or maybe they already were irl, that's why they were afk.
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    what if they get grouped with someone they blocked for a perfectly good reason and dont want or deserve any form of penalty for leaving the group, other than just stand there saying nothing and doing nothing privately hoping the group fast kicks you so you can queue again and in bg just stand there ? and dont dare politely ask for a kick as 9 times out of 10 thats a reason to stir up the whole group, there should be no penalties for leaving groups you dont want to be in, or at the very least not a penaly but a hard block on being placed in the exact same group when you do queue again.
    Edited by Daoin on February 22, 2024 3:45PM
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Not sure how it would work and still be fair, but there should be some kind of penalty for a player who goes AFK during a BG.
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    not sure about that..i see a player i have blocked in same group im not going to do a thing to help out. depending on my mood and timeframe is straight leave or just stand there. if there were no penalty i would leave everytime and problem solved while there are still legitimate reasons for doing so im ok with it. i just take it for granted in a dungeon a player does not move from start then there a reason i wont start a kick if the dungeon can be completed easily enough with 3 and just leave them to it, and the last time i did BG's a while ago now people just left when things were not looking good anyway often blaming everyone else before they left
    Edited by Daoin on February 22, 2024 4:44PM
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    There absolutely should be.
    Daoin wrote: »
    not sure about that..i see a player i have blocked in same group im not going to do a thing to help out.
    Thus punishing two completely innocent people. How nice of you.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know in another game such as League of Legends for example, they will give out a penalty for those who afk at the spawn point.

The penalty for afk is a leaver buster system which prevents a player from queuing for a certain amount of time (from 5 minutes to 1 hour). Sometimes if later on they keep on going afk, then they get a queue lockout which is similar to a suspension (they can still log in but they won't beable to actually play the game for atleast 24 hours to 3 days). Which encourages players not to go afk.

If eso gets that for their pvp matches or something similar, then players going afk would be less of a problem. 😉

On the other hand, sometimes a player would go afk due to a factor such as a power/internet outage, bad weather, or a cat steps on the power button. So an afk detection system might need to read the hardware of a player's device to prove some of these factors. That way it will be able to tell if the afk is by accident or on purpose.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    sarahthes wrote: »

All they have to do is take a couple steps every 30 seconds or so.

There are specific players who will proudly declare they won't participate in a Deathmatch as they're only there for the daily. They don't get kicked because they walk around the spawn. They don't get banned for griefing despite literally admitting to it because apparently BGs don't exist in ZOS' minds when it comes to reporting.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    not sure about that..i see a player i have blocked in same group im not going to do a thing to help out. depending on my mood and timeframe is straight leave or just stand there. if there were no penalty i would leave everytime and problem solved while there are still legitimate reasons for doing so im ok with it. i just take it for granted in a dungeon a player does not move from start then there a reason i wont start a kick if the dungeon can be completed easily enough with 3 and just leave them to it, and the last time i did BG's a while ago now people just left when things were not looking good anyway often blaming everyone else before they left

This is a pretty selfish mindset. You don't like the player (whether justified or not) so you throw the match for the other two teammates as well?

It's PvP. No one cares about who you like or don't like. Play the game.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BG matches are 15 min, and the in game afk kick timer is approx 15-20 min

it also doesnt take much to delay that, as even doing something like opening inventory or any menu, hitting escape, or moving slightly is enough to restart the afk kick timer
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭

This is a pretty selfish mindset. You don't like the player (whether justified or not) so you throw the match for the other two teammates as well?

It's PvP. No one cares about who you like or don't like. Play the game.

i dont throw the match never have i simply just dont BG much anymore got sick of people leaving the group when things started to go bad and start getting toxic with the rest of the group then was well dones and gg's when on the winning side i saw it as saving the group from the prat then when you see the exact same people in the dungeons too behaving the same enough is enough we need no penalties on groups we dont want to be in just an easier leave option than a huge time penalty on content we usually enjoy doing. infact the BG's i enjoyed most was when both the other teams completely gave up we could just sit around until the timer ran out
    Edited by Daoin on February 22, 2024 6:21PM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AFKing in spawn is never acceptable, a baseline punishment should be issued. Even in more acceptable scenarios (ex. other teams only have 2/3 people, someone on your team is blatantly cheating), you should still be playing the objective or trying to PVP.
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    i have honestly thought that too from time to time could be a cheater for the win but nowadays i honestly dont care i just hope one day the time penalty for for leaving groups is removed myself i mean what would it hurt i can leave groups now and just change character but sometimes im on a character and want to continue what im doing on it its not my fault they dont see blocks as others we dont want to be grouped with again
    Edited by Daoin on February 22, 2024 6:32PM
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe the longer someone's on there, they should a ramping damage AoE like when you stand still at a dolmen to prevent farming?

Obviously, if your team is so behind that they're being spawn camped, it means you have no option but to jump down into the slaughter ...

Maybe then people would just sneak and leave the base for an obscure corner. I guess there's no perfect solution.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the longer someone's on there, they should a ramping damage AoE like when you stand still at a dolmen to prevent farming?

Obviously, if your team is so behind that they're being spawn camped, it means you have no option but to jump down into the slaughter ...

Maybe then people would just sneak and leave the base for an obscure corner. I guess there's no perfect solution.

technically the "afk dmg" at a dolmen isnt ramping, it just applies a debuff on you for 0 hp recovery, but you can still sit there do nothing except hit a heal/shield and that lightning strike will never kill you
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it also doesnt take much to delay that, as even doing something like opening inventory or any menu, hitting escape, or moving slightly is enough to restart the afk kick timer

I didn't mean the regular kick from game.

I'm sure I had to go afk during a bg and got kicked after like 2-3 minutes before due to a kid emergency. But I could be remembering incorrectly.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't mean the regular kick from game.

I'm sure I had to go afk during a bg and got kicked after like 2-3 minutes before due to a kid emergency. But I could be remembering incorrectly.

i dont know if people can vote kick someone in a BG like in a dungeon group, but that would be what i would see as what happened, if you got kicked after like 2-3 minutes (since a BG match is only about 15 minutes, 3 minutes would be 1/5 of the entire match time which could be seen as enough reason to initiate a vote kick from teammates)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    they can also go out, do nothing and just get killed. It's not far from the kind of experience newbies often receive from pros.

Or perhaps we can discuss more positive ways in encouraging participation.
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    like football leagues in the past leagues and stuff maybe? :D im pretty sure bottom league play each other and enjoy that a bit more than having to costantly go up against prem teams for points
    Edited by Daoin on February 22, 2024 10:00PM
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    But the population is small, and MMR should be by damage dealt / kill count not numbers of plays.

My newly trained necro is still in low mmr and at one time i had like 38/2 with a pro on the team, felt surreal

Rewards for repeated deaths could be nice (with hits of course, not suicide), and shorter respawn timer the more you die.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »
    But the population is small, and MMR should be by damage dealt / kill count not numbers of plays.

My newly trained necro is still in low mmr and at one time i had like 38/2 with a pro on the team, felt surreal

Rewards for repeated deaths could be nice (with hits of course, not suicide), and shorter respawn timer the more you die.

When you play late at night, MMR goes out the window and instead it's more, "is there even someone online?"
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

MMR is actually based on cumulative score you earned, since you can only gain score it boils down to # of matches played as each match will likely add to your cumulative score unless you literally do nothing and sit at spawn the entire match

the score is earned by getting medals during the match (killing, healing (general cases)) and (capping points, defending cap points, killing relic holders, holding chaos ball, etc (match specific cases)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • manukartofanu
    manukartofanu
    ✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    I don't disagree, I also think that people going afk at a dungeon entrance should be punished.
    However, if someone doesn't want to PvP, they might as well jump down the plattform and then do nothing. An afk punishment would be a mild inconvenience for that kind of players, but they would find work arounds.

At dungeon you at least can kick afk person. In BG you can't. That makes big difference.