The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

For developers: an idea to consider to contain all furnishings

Rishikesa108
Rishikesa108
✭✭✭✭✭
We have many collectible furnishings, which are actually intangible assets, which materialize only when they are placed in the context of a house. Their characteristic lies in the fact that they can be used an infinite number of times, but only once for each context. In order to save space, both in our inventories and on the server in general, it would be a good idea if ALL furnishings were dematerialized in the exact same way as collectibles. They would then be materialized only upon their use. The characteristic in this case would change, since their use would not be infinite, but only for as many times as we own the object (for example, I own 10 Hlaalu tables, so I can only use them 10 times). Furthermore, multiple use in the same context should absolutely be permitted. I don't think it's impossible for developers to make this change.
We would no longer have container houses, used only to contain numerous furnishings awaiting better use.
The server would be freer and less stressed.
It would be a total win win.
Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a container house now. The real answer is to not keep crafting or buying furnishings we don't have a current use for.
    PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess this idea would fit into a sticker book of furnishings sort of thing. Not only would we know if we have learned that plan or not, but it could store how many we have created and kept just like you suggested.

I’m all for it, as long as storing data for the vast number of total furnishings is not an issue. I don’t currently have much in the way of furnishings storage but the number of antiquities keeps going up.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a container house now. The real answer is to not keep crafting or buying furnishings we don't have a current use for.

That’s no answer. The luxury furnishings are only available once a year, you might remodel a home (what to do with the extra furnishings? they might be something you can imagine using elsewhere but they sell for less than the craft cost, or maybe they are bound), and then the antiquity furnishings require finding a lead, which for some is a simple matter but others are quite a hunt so you have to collect them when you can.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy very few luxury furnishings because there are very few that would fit the theme of most of my housing projects. I do buy the Imperial red curtains and the nirncrux pots when they are available because I actually do use them a lot.

Otherwise I find it more economical to just buy luxury items as I need them, even if they cost a bit more that way. Then I am not stuck buying houses to hold all these things that I'm not using, which costs more in the long run.

If a player has a house full of furnishings just being stored then these aren't things they are needing and using.
    PCNA
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I buy very few luxury furnishings because there are very few that would fit the theme of most of my housing projects. I do buy the Imperial red curtains and the nirncrux pots when they are available because I actually do use them a lot.

Otherwise I find it more economical to just buy luxury items as I need them, even if they cost a bit more that way. Then I am not stuck buying houses to hold all these things that I'm not using, which costs more in the long run.

If a player has a house full of furnishings just being stored then these aren't things they are needing and using.

I respectfully disagree.....

Currently I have four housing projects underway - two are build from scratch - two are more general decorating....

I can spend hours making stuff "fit together" and often end up with items which do not get used. I am not willing to sell those items for less than they cost me, so I store them, it works for me, might not work for others.

However I would also never presume to dismiss an idea because in my opinion it isn't needed. 😲
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how much one is interested in housing and really applies oneself to this activity. Since I have decorated 43 houses so far and I plan to decorate as many or more... I have a lot of furnishing-storage. I'm currently using a lot of houses as storage, and it's really a shame. Like me... many housing addicted friends
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

I respectfully disagree.....

Currently I have four housing projects underway - two are build from scratch - two are more general decorating....

I can spend hours making stuff "fit together" and often end up with items which do not get used. I am not willing to sell those items for less than they cost me, so I store them, it works for me, might not work for others.

However I would also never presume to dismiss an idea because in my opinion it isn't needed. 😲

I have been using the Preview option to try out furnishings before crafting or buying them. That has been really helpful for not making pieces I end up not using.

As far as dismissing a suggestion that we don't feel is needed... that is feedback. I don't feel this is needed and I don't want the current way of storing and placing furnishings disrupted with something that has the potential to create bugs and other problems.

Also, I am an avid housing enthusiast. I have 31 houses decorated, and am almost done with #32, and I have no houses that are used for storage.
    Edited by SilverBride on February 19, 2024 12:35AM
    PCNA