Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Official Discussion Thread, Gold Road Wallpapers

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
6d4n967hmx24.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for, "Ready Yourself For The Return Of The Forgotten Prince With These Wallpapers"

"Take these new wallpapers with you on your journey along the Gold Road this year."
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on February 15, 2024 3:03PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite.
    EDIT: I cut the inside of my mouth when I was about 2 on the edge of a glass table, blood gushing out of my mouth and mom rushing me to the emergency room in an old volkswagen beetle. I am not one to have phobias, but if I do glass is the closest thing....so me liking this says a lot.

    nzbmamamfvxx.jpg
    Edited by Pixiepumpkin on February 8, 2024 8:48PM
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've grabbed the one on the left - it reminds me of Oblivion, and a little of Beyond Skyrim: Bruma too!
    ______________________________________________________

    But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

    PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my background I’m currently using the picture for Scribing of the Khajiit doing something with magicky to the bottle. I can’t wait to do something with magicky myself with Scribing!! 😂
    Edited by Elvenheart on February 8, 2024 10:38PM
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these available as backdrops for PSN, like they used to be? (Still have the Elsweyr one)
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh nice, I was hoping for some new ones!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

    Whitestrake’s Mayhem PSA: While battling through the Imperial City, don’t forget you can return to base quickly by queuing for a Cyrodiil campaign, then queuing back to IC!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Artistically, they're all wellmade, but I especially like the left one. Reminds me of a region I've travelled to several times, with all those rugged rocks, wafts of mist ascending from the forest, and ruins of mountain fortresses - just that the ones I've visited were a little less Ayleid ;)

    nmxuo18ueesg.png

    My daughter went to a quilting retreat near there - she sent me the most GORGEOUS photos after they took a day trip.... I was hoping to get there myself, but mid-January was NOT the time. We went to Switzerland instead (where husband's ancestors originated).
    ______________________________________________________

    But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

    PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Are these available as backdrops for PSN, like they used to be? (Still have the Elsweyr one)

    Not sure, actually. But we will pass this along to ask about that.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Any really good minimalist wallpapers?
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Artistically, they're all wellmade, but I especially like the left one. Reminds me of a region I've travelled to several times, with all those rugged rocks, wafts of mist ascending from the forest, and ruins of mountain fortresses - just that the ones I've visited were a little less Ayleid ;)

    nmxuo18ueesg.png

    Stunning! Where is this?
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Destai wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin Any really good minimalist wallpapers?

    Not this time around. We can pass this along for future wallpapers though!
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    Stunning! Where is this?

    That is a picture of:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oybin_(hill)
    Within this mountain range:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zittau_Mountains

    Not far away, there's also these, also highly recommended:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_Switzerland
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Switzerland
    (It's basically the same mountains, they're just named differently because the country border runs through them). Oh, and there's also an interesting place with basalt columns, for the people who like that more than sandstone :p
    https://www.elbelabe.eu/en/poi/b/stolpen-castle/

    There's also a region in the South in the country that also has similar sandstone structures, but to a smaller extent (and yeah, I know it's funny that they traditionally called all these regions "Switzerland" while not being in Switzerland :D ):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconian_Switzerland

    And these, although I've never been there, so can't say if it's worthwhile:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externsteine

    One of the most famous German paintings is this, btw:

    uypgcc6jx9bc.png

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanderer_above_the_Sea_of_Fog
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Destai wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin Any really good minimalist wallpapers?

    Not this time around. We can pass this along for future wallpapers though!

    Thanks dude! These look good either way!
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Are these available as backdrops for PSN, like they used to be? (Still have the Elsweyr one)

    Not sure, actually. But we will pass this along to ask about that.

    Can we get a dynamic background on Xbox, some kind of 10th anniversary one even thou I know its not officially till next year
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

    TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Can we get a dynamic background on Xbox, some kind of 10th anniversary one even thou I know its not officially till next year

    Can't promise anything as of right now. But we'll pass this along to our teams as well for their consideration. A dynamic background would be cool.

    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Destai wrote: »
    Stunning! Where is this?

    That is a picture of:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oybin_(hill)
    Within this mountain range:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zittau_Mountains

    Not far away, there's also these, also highly recommended:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_Switzerland
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Switzerland
    (It's basically the same mountains, they're just named differently because the country border runs through them). Oh, and there's also an interesting place with basalt columns, for the people who like that more than sandstone :p
    https://www.elbelabe.eu/en/poi/b/stolpen-castle/

    There's also a region in the South in the country that also has similar sandstone structures, but to a smaller extent (and yeah, I know it's funny that they traditionally called all these regions "Switzerland" while not being in Switzerland :D ):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconian_Switzerland

    And these, although I've never been there, so can't say if it's worthwhile:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externsteine

    One of the most famous German paintings is this, btw:

    uypgcc6jx9bc.png

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanderer_above_the_Sea_of_Fog

    Thank you so much! Casper David Friedrich is one of my favorite painters, with that piece being in my top 5, happy to see the landscapes that inspired him.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Are these available as backdrops for PSN, like they used to be? (Still have the Elsweyr one)

    Not sure, actually. But we will pass this along to ask about that.

    On PS5 the background is Apocrypha now, it seems to automatically change each chapter. I am not aware of any way to change it manually.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

    PS5 NA

  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Destai
    Destai wrote: »
    Thank you so much! Casper David Friedrich is one of my favorite painters

    Mine too (others being, among others, Carl Gustav Carus, Ernst Ferdinand Oehme, Carl Blechen, William Blake and Henry Fuseli - basically all Romanticists; although Friedrich Schinkel and John Atkinson Grimshaw are quite interesting, too).

    I have actually spent quite some time travelling to places that inspired Caspar David Friedrich or where he lived for a while (there is a very nice small museum in Greifswald in the house where he was born and grew up), as well as galleries where his paintings are exhibited. A few places that still come to my mind are

    - Rügen island
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Caspar_David_Friedrich's_Chalk_Cliffs_on_Rügen.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmund_National_Park

    - the ruin of cloister Eldena (this is a sad thing, actually, it looks so boring today)
    https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Klosterruine_Eldena_(ca.1825).jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldena_Abbey

    - Greifswald
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Caspar_David_Friedrich_064.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greifswald

    - Neubrandenburg
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Caspar_David_Friedrich_036.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neubrandenburg

    And this cemetery in Dresden:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Kügelgens_Grab_(1821-1822)_-_Caspar_David_Friedrich_(Museum_Behnhaus_Drägerhaus).jpg
    The gravestone still exists:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grab_Gerhard_von_Kügelgen_(1).JPG

    I got around a lot here in the North East.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
Sign In or Register to comment.