Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

[REQUEST] Implement possibility to use shield as a real weapon

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
I suggest to implement an additional weapon skill line that allows using the shield as an active weapon. In terms of damage and protection it would be between the current 1h-shield and the offensive weapon skill line. That is it offers more dps than the current 1h+shield skill line but less than the dual wield, destro or 2h skill lines and at the same time more protection than the offensive weapon skill lines but less than the current 1h+shield skill line.

I am currently trying to imagine a catchy name for this new skill line (any suggestion welcome).
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    that would be fun.

and it could just be called Shield, none of the weapon skill lines have catchy names.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be well understood. I don't suggest the shield as a weapon itself, just in combination with a dedicated more combative 1h+shield skill line.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd love to have an offensive variant of the one-handed + shield skill line, especially as that would be relatively easy to add (no new weapon/shield models are needed).
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Darkstorne
      Darkstorne
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      There are some niche builds that can turn 1H+Shield into a more aggressive playstyle, and I like experimenting with that myself. In that sense it kind of already fills the role you want (aggressive, still not as powerful as dual wield etc, but more protection as a trade-off for that). I also have my fingers crossed that scribing will help facilitate this playstyle even more, since a new skill with three morphs and so many morph permutations should provide the flexibility for a DPS focused skill here.

If you're interested, a set I love using for this in solo content is Turning Tide. Blocking an attack causes your next bash attack to unleash an AOE tidal wave damaging all enemies in front of you and afflicting them with major vulnerability for 10 seconds, causing them to take 10% more damage. Power bash counts as bash damage which will proc this set, and is already a high-damage skill. Riposte CP slottable causes your next direct damage attack used after blocking (which affects power bash) to deal 33% more damage. It's a really satisfying combination to use, major burst damage, and you can either pair that with bash sets to double down on that style of play so your Turning Tide burst feels nuclear, or with DPS sets to capitalize on the major vulnerability debuff that follows.
    • AnduinTryggva
      AnduinTryggva
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Darkstorne wrote: »
      There are some niche builds that can turn 1H+Shield into a more aggressive playstyle, and I like experimenting with that myself. In that sense it kind of already fills the role you want (aggressive, still not as powerful as dual wield etc, but more protection as a trade-off for that). I also have my fingers crossed that scribing will help facilitate this playstyle even more, since a new skill with three morphs and so many morph permutations should provide the flexibility for a DPS focused skill here.

If you're interested, a set I love using for this in solo content is Turning Tide. Blocking an attack causes your next bash attack to unleash an AOE tidal wave damaging all enemies in front of you and afflicting them with major vulnerability for 10 seconds, causing them to take 10% more damage. Power bash counts as bash damage which will proc this set, and is already a high-damage skill. Riposte CP slottable causes your next direct damage attack used after blocking (which affects power bash) to deal 33% more damage. It's a really satisfying combination to use, major burst damage, and you can either pair that with bash sets to double down on that style of play so your Turning Tide burst feels nuclear, or with DPS sets to capitalize on the major vulnerability debuff that follows.

I know there are, specifically in combination with some sets, some tweaks that cause 1h+shield to produce more dps. But that is not what my post aims at. It aims at not only using the shield to bash or stun but to use it more actively and versatile. I am running wild a bit here now but you could throw it a short distance (and have a leash to haul it back), you could use the edge to increase damage against an enemy (it should hurt really bad if one pushes with force the edge on the feet of your opponent), etc.
      Edited by AnduinTryggva on February 8, 2024 11:57AM
    • Sleep724
      Sleep724
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Was nice before the damage nerfs to heroic slash and puncture. LA/skill/bash was a great way to do damage. Felt smooth on a DK. With scribing I feel as if the new skill for 1h/shield will be being able to throw the shield.
    • Sparxlost
      Sparxlost
      ✭✭✭
      i feel like bashing is pretty much all you would be doing... shields dont really do much other than that..

As far as damage goes, you can get bash damage pretty high and it pairs well with timed damage abilities..

I might suggest running dunmer or bosmer necromancer or sorc because blastbones and curse makes a beefy bash-canceled, bash skill that much more effective. Especially if you stab them in the gut first.

it prolly wont be meta or anything but i played a bashcro and it could be pretty fun outside of the funny looking ult... I havent played in awhile maybe i will try to make a bash sorc..
    • Hapexamendios
      Hapexamendios
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Rising of the Shield Hero
    • moo_2021
      moo_2021
      ✭✭✭✭
      also poison and weapon enchants on shields