Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Sorcerer destro/2h Armor

GDakkie
GDakkie
I'm currently thinking of playing a PVE sorcerer destro staff/2h build but I'm not sure how i can combine that in terms of armor and attribute points.

Should I wear a mix of light and heavy armor? Or could light armor + bound armor skill be enough?

Also what would be the wisest way to distribute my attribute points? since I'll be be needing magicka for damage and regen, health to stay alive(if i will be wearing light armor), and maybe also stamina since I hear that basic 2h damage scales with that (not sure if true).

Is it also viable to wear a mix of armor? Because you cannot make fully use of the armor passives as they scale per piece equipped.

Sorry if it's a long read! I appreciate any help I can get!:)
  • SEOINAGE
    SEOINAGE
    do you plan to use any 2h skills? Those will scale off of stamina. But if you are only using like one of them I would go with mag and stam. You could do 5 piece light 2 piece heavy for a bit more armor. And if you are primarily a spell caster that gives you a nice crit bonus. It is going to depend on your overall skill selection etc. Personally I take primarily health in stats, but then get other stats on gear that I need. But if I was a pure magicka user I might spend a portion in magicka as well.
  • kain0001
    kain0001
    This is the same build I want to use but have the same question. Mage wielding 2 handed weapon (love swords). summon pets and use electro. I was thinking 5 heavy and 2 light but I don't want a gimped build. I always try to use something different from the normal classic builds.
  • RockSolidWiff
    RockSolidWiff
    ✭✭
    With the stat overcharging currently in effect, wearing all one kind of armor basically does not work well. Once the bonuses (or skills/attributes) push you into overcharging the additional bonus is minimal.
    Tested this while wearing light armor and stats overcharged. Replacing one light piece with a medium piece I actually lost no benefit and gained slightly more armor. Will then also gain medium skill in combat. I think this will vary as you level and greatly depend on skill and attribute selections.
    You might want to start with 5 pieces of the type you want most and add one of each of the other types.
    Overcharging nerfs the effects of food/drink as well so check your actual benefit.
    I picked up the sword and raced into battle, died.
    I again, raced into battle wielding the sword, died.
    Once again, died.
    It was only then that I considered maybe the pointed end should face out.
    - Why mages should not wield swords
  • Daknar
    Daknar
    Soul Shriven
    What I've noticed is the support bonuses for casters is on light/medium armor while stamina/health is on the heavy. Stamina is going to work well for you if you are dual wielding though, so what you might want to do is a mix of a few heavy items and a few light/medium to get the bonus combinations you want. If you can identify what heavy armor you want all the time, lets say helms, you can specialize in crafting just heavy helms with the bonuses you want for the dual wielding and then get light/medium for your other stat's. As RockSolidWiff pointed out, maxing out a stat (it will turn orange then red when you look at your abilities) means you are wasting a bonus.
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    I am doing a light/medium mix of armor and will likely be using bound armor on both my 5.

I am not yet sure the mix between light and med, but I'm leaning more 5 med 2 light presently.
  • ZurinArctus
    ZurinArctus
    ✭✭✭
    I use 7 light right now, but have used 5 heavy / 2 light in the past. Another option as someone mentioned was using 5 light / 2 medium or heavy and Bound Armor.

Bound Aegis at max gives 1000 armor which will overcharge you in 7 light.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 hand sorcs get 3 heavy and 4 light. I have played a lot with one of them, he is supposed to be my blacksmith, but I leveled him to 10 to get to the cherry crafting spots in Cyrodiil. He did those 10 levels almost without getting killed and I became impressed with the way he can switch back and forth between stamina and magic as either one drains.

So I made one for fighting. I like the battlemage concept. My witch, on the other hand, does not like to get her shoes dirty, but she is a whole other sorc type.
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    My 2h sorcerer uses light and medium armor, I don't recall the split and bound armor morphed for more armor and I am overcharged.