The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nord Templar Advice on Tank build?

Dagrion
Dagrion
Anyone out there find good combinations for a tank build for the Templar class? It is my first build, and with previous MMOs I find my first build to be lacking compared to my later builds, but am always attached to the first build so I want a good one. Got any advice?
"Now leave, before I decorate my Throne room with your innards." - Sheogorath
  • lfseeney_ESO
    lfseeney_ESO
    ✭✭
    I am doing an Imp for my tank, Axe and Board in this case.
    Templar as well.
    I really like the Spear ability when morphed hits at least 3 maybe more in front of you.
    You will need the Strike that Taunts as well though.
    Only 8th before the servers died so not a lot more I know.
    Did take one healing ability as well, and use the Soul Gem ability a morph for it will give a little of all 3 pools back.

Good Luck!
  • Argurios
    Argurios
    ✭✭
    Hi mate, i'm L29 now, and tanked all 9 dungeons available to me at that level. I only had any trouble early on when i had few abilities and buffs. Ok ill tell you what i use, though remember its only for standard dungeons, i havent experienced any endgame yet so all i say here might not work there.

I always use the taunting 1H/shield strike, with the morph on it for extra armour. I also always use the charge attack from the 1H/shield line, morphed to give armour shield as well. Its great for mobility and also a bit of cc/interrupt on trash types. These two skills are a good combo. If you get a loose mob you can charge, then taunt strike, nice and simple. Its all you really need. You arent there to do damage.

For the L28 dungeons, i changed my build and found a really good one that worked well.

In addition to what i already mentioned i use the spear throw, morphed for increased knockdown just to give a little bit of cc/interrupt for trash and also some range damage, but mainly just to keep levelling aedric spear skill line. I also use restoring aura, morphed to increase radius, and finally, i use the circle of protection from the Fighter's guild tree. Not only does it boost your armour and magic resistance, but when morphed it increases HP regen, and also does increased damage to daedra/undead within it. Frankly, its great, as a lot of dungeons have daedra/undead foes. Especially when combined with the restoring aura.

The ultimate i use is the rite of passage healing tree, morphed for increased duration. Its great for when the whole party is taking damage, and i have also seen it generate good aggro, lol.

The main thing to remember is stamina management. Dont keep spamming your abilities, and have stam potions on your quickslot. Some things to help:

- Taunt once each mob to get aggro, the taunt strike isnt really affected by threat, so you only have to re use every 15 seconds before it runs out. Taunt is fast and cheap strike, but soon adds up. Give stamina a chance to regen.
    - For groups, repeat on as many mobs as you feel comfortable. Make sure your group knows which mobs to focus down first in large numbers, so you can focus tanking the main threats.
    - Keep your aura and circle up, and react to anything with charge and then taunt if necessary. blocking once you have enough passives to make it viable is also very effective against bosses etc. Even aoe style attacks can often be blocked, only magic that cant.
    - Know how to block/bash. If the enemy charges an attack and you see the yellow coloured sparks around them, then block. If you see them charging but its red/black coloured sparks around them, then shield bash while you are blocking.
    - Stay mobile where possible. A lot of things are easier to avoid if you are always moving, though this might annoy other party members. Binding a new key to dodgeroll is also advised as sometimes doubletap direction causes sadface. :)

Hope this helps, probably could have written it better given time, but its just a quick help i have done off the cuff. Enjoy!

" Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the test first, the lesson after... "

Argurios Ultor - Imperial Templar
    Caradoc Coldblade - Redguard Nightblade
    - Daggerfall Covenant