Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stat Point Distribution

bluemanafoxb14_ESO
bluemanafoxb14_ESO
Soul Shriven
I was curious how others are doing stat point distribution? I have created several characters, and on some I did 3 Health 1 Stam 1 Mag and found I was getting really, really week, and not necessarily more survivable. Last night I made a Nightblade and have stat points split between Mag and Stam, weighting more on Stam as I use my weapon skills more often. As of level 10 though, I am starting to feel a bit weaker. I just made new level 10 weapons, but when I do my little teleport strike ability, the monster loses only like...10% health tops. Any tips?
  • Mosti
    Mosti
    ✭✭✭
    I go all out health and enchant my gear to stam and magika
    Edited by Mosti on April 2, 2014 4:04PM
  • Smoke
    Smoke
    Mosti wrote: »
    I go all out health and enchant my gear to stam and magika

^This. put all pts into health and let gear take care of the rest.

• Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    It so much depends on the character I am playing. My heavy armor Templar doesn't need many health upgrades since he can self heal and has a fair amount of mitigation; however, my medium armor Dragonknight seems to benefit from more health.

If one is mostly coming from single player games, like Skyrim, one may feel underpowered, even with a strong emphasis on either Magicka or Stamina. This is one of the differences between single player games (where being god-like can be a plus and is just plain FUN) and an MMO (where balance between players for PvP and balance between the player and the PvE content is a necessary part of the game design).
  • blahgameblahb14_ESO
    I have two Temps. The one using more weapons - more stamina. The one going more magic/temp skills - magika. Depends on the build. Regretfully my crafting (BS) is going slow.
  • flintstone
    flintstone
    ✭✭✭
    I use a bow and staff so I put all my points in magic and stamina.....light or med armor..... depending. I like the bow a lot right now (more than the staff) and I also use silver bolts sometimes.
  • Lamprey
    Lamprey
    So, let me ask you, are you a Min/Maxer or do you just want to play however you want? I'm assuming a min/maxer.

I'm not sure where your level of understanding is as far as game mechanics goes, so maybe it would help to understand those better. Then you can decide how you want to handle things.

Here are some links to videos that talk about few of these mechanics like overcharging and ability damage. That may help you decide how to distribute your points. Also, incase you didn't know you can pay to "respect" (undo all you points and redistribute them).

EDIT: Adding this video, as I intended, but also leaving the second one as it talks about the changes that have come since beta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssob9XP4dUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9AAPmx7Lqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_OIx7bp7g

Cheers!
    Edited by Lamprey on April 2, 2014 4:51PM
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently my highest toon is a level 11 NB (bout to pop 12) and he's pure Stam with Bow, Assn main with Siphon sub. I have zero issue taking 3 mobs at once (4 gets a little dodgy) or a named mob like the "boss" at the end of a cave solo. BUT, I have to actually pay attention and can't just stand there and shoot like most MMO's. That's the beauty of ESO and what I believe makes it stand apart, you NEED to pay attention. I can die to a single power attack from a named mob if it hits me dead on. But if I'm careful to dodge them then even named mobs are easy, for the most part.

I can even solo (at level) some of the skull areas including the boss. Ironically I can't do them all, like Scarp Camp in Auridon completely owned me. I keep my armor/weapon up to date every 2 levels, for the most part, while wearing any quest reward/drop that's superior. I also use + max Stam food which overcharges my Stamina. Now I've heard from many people that once you hit level 10 the NPC's get much harder and I'd have to agree as I can't 1-2 shot mobs anymore but this still isn't an issue.
  • Vorpal_Spork
    Vorpal_Spork
    ✭✭✭
    I was curious how others are doing stat point distribution? I have created several characters, and on some I did 3 Health 1 Stam 1 Mag and found I was getting really, really week, and not necessarily more survivable. Last night I made a Nightblade and have stat points split between Mag and Stam, weighting more on Stam as I use my weapon skills more often. As of level 10 though, I am starting to feel a bit weaker. I just made new level 10 weapons, but when I do my little teleport strike ability, the monster loses only like...10% health tops. Any tips?

Stop mixing stamina and magicka on one character. Pick one and stick with it. If you try to be both your stats will be half what they would have been if you specialized.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Stop mixing stamina and magicka on one character. Pick one and stick with it. If you try to be both your stats will be half what they would have been if you specialized.

Just an FYI (for all reading)...This thread is over a year old. The mechanics of the game have changed significantly, what was good at PC/Mac launch does not work anymore. Please do not use this thread as a source of advice on your builds, and always check the date of threads when using the search function. Pretty much any thread before March 2015 is going to be outdated at this point.