The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Two Handed front bar PvE build. Which class?

Minstrel9806
Hi all,

I was wondering what class to use for a 2h frontbar build.
The reason i want to make this build is due to the fact that i like how 2h feels compared to DW, and was trying to get closer to a pure Warrior stereotype build cause i realized that, even tho i have a couple characters with actual dw/2h DPS builds i don't actually like the feel of them a lot.
Here's some points to make it easier:
  • The content i plan to do is: Arenas, WBs, Public Dungeons, Group Dungeons (both Normal and Vet). I don't plan on doing score runs or trifectas.
  • I know how to light attack weave, bar swap weave etc.
  • I know there's the Sword Singer set that boosts 2h damage, is it viable or should i just stick to the usual damage sets like Hunding's Rage?
  • I want my spammable to be from the 2h skill line, how much would this affect my DPS compared to, let's say, a class spammable? Ex. using Wrecking Blow instead of Molten Whip on StamDK (yeah i don't like molten whip for the glowing eyes of seething fury, excessively nitpicky i know)
  • I'm 1000+ CP
  • I can't decide between these 3 classes mostly: DK, Warden, NB

And last but not least, if viable, how much of an hindrance would i be in vet content with such a build? Would a 1-bar Oakensoul build be better a that point?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h warden is pretty good for burst dmg, but thats better for pvp (lining up deep fissure + uppercut hurts a lot)

i use a 2h on the 1 bar warden i use, but this character is primarily set to go into WW so not making a lot of use of the 2h itself

the other character i run 2h on is a templar (with a bow back bar) and i get good dps running whorl of the depths + pillar of nirn with a stormfist monster set (no mythic, but im using maelstrom bow back bar)

if you wanted to forgo the monster set you could also get good dmg on templar with a 2h maelstrom front bar, since that boosts direct dmg by a flat value and is very potent for buffing jabs
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I double-barred 2H swords on a stam sorc last year. Haven't run it recently. Ran with only one pet (Volatile Familiar), put Carve, Bound Armaments, Crystal Weapon, and Reverse Slice/Executioner on the front bar, ran VMA 2H on the back with Stampede, Hurricane, Barbed Trap, and Resolving Vigor. Dawnbreaker/Greater Storm Atro for ultimates. I really liked how the 2H skills worked with Bound Armaments and Crystal Weapon. Used Relequen and Nirn. Worked perfectly fine in vet trials and dungeons.
    Edited by El_Borracho on January 31, 2024 9:18PM
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 2H frontbar builds on my two mains-- StamSorc (PC NA) and StamBlade (PC EU). They certainly aren't BIS/META builds by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy playing on them.

I'm pretty sure I use the Sword Singer set on one or both mains, but I'd have to look at them later to be sure.

2H weapons probably don't fit the "class image" of Sorcerer or Nightblade, although it fits Nightblade better-- at least, enemy Nightblade NPCs in Arena and Daggerfall definitely use swords in addition to other types of weapons-- but I've always favored using melee weapons in TES games, and 2H weapons are the most powerful melee weapons.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Minstrel9806
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    but I've always favored using melee weapons in TES games, and 2H weapons are the most powerful melee weapons.

Same, always favored a melee build in TES games, usually a 1h and shield or 2h build, i wanted some insight about this type of playstyle to make up for a lack of a pure warrior class. I've been playing ESO for 2 years now i think, but never been ultimately happy with any of the builds, i think i've been a little obsessed with what's meta even tho i'm not interested in leaderboard end game content.

Options
  • Minstrel9806
    I double-barred 2H swords on a stam sorc last year. Haven't run it recently. Ran with only one pet (Volatile Familiar), put Carve, Bound Armaments, Crystal Weapon, and Reverse Slice/Executioner on the front bar, ran VMA 2H on the back with Stampede, Hurricane, Barbed Trap, and Resolving Vigor. Dawnbreaker/Greater Storm Atro for ultimates. I really liked how the 2H skills worked with Bound Armaments and Crystal Weapon. Used Relequen and Nirn. Worked perfectly fine in vet trials and dungeons.

I do have a Lvl50 Stamsorc already, i should try this type of build.
    To be fair, i made a similar build 1 or 2 years ago which used 2h frontbar and bow backbar, i think it was an Alcast build.
    I used it for quite some time and liked it but then realized there were other builds not as defensive and thus able to pull more DPS ultimately while still keeping me alive.

That build you listed looks infinitely better tho, glad to know it served you well in trials too, it really helped with making up my mind

All of these comments were very useful to me. Thank you all!
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I do have a Lvl50 Stamsorc already, i should try this type of build.
    To be fair, i made a similar build 1 or 2 years ago which used 2h frontbar and bow backbar, i think it was an Alcast build.
    I used it for quite some time and liked it but then realized there were other builds not as defensive and thus able to pull more DPS ultimately while still keeping me alive.

That build you listed looks infinitely better tho, glad to know it served you well in trials too, it really helped with making up my mind

All of these comments were very useful to me. Thank you all!

It was really easy to play and I liked having an execute that worked better (and is way cheaper) than whirling blades with the traditional DW dagger build. I didn't see any real difference in DPS in actual game play. Neither are going to be on the level of today's Arcanist, but it put out a lot of damage and had good sustain.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think sorc has the best synergy with weapon skill lines. Don't know whether a Brawlersorc was something you ever thought about. In the following build, bear in mind the parse was done on a normal skeleton, not the trial dummy. 30K is good, considering how tanky this build is and how much more AOE damage than single target it has. Works for solo play and as a tank / DD hybrid in many dungeons up to some, though not all, veteran dungeons. While not meta for the arenas, it works in those too. Note that Tormentor will be nerfed and will not likely remain an AOE taunt from next patch. The build revolves around the Master 2H weapon, Tormentor, high sustain to keep the Brawler shield up, and semi-passive healing from Crit Surge and health regen, which is a great combination with the Brawler shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00hhYOod4I

Here is a tankier, less single-target damage version of the build in action in vMA. Build is at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_iJn2tF1YM

Here is a version of the build soloing a hard vet DLC dungeon boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCXG3RRuxk
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2H Brawlers are lots of fun. I have a Warden and a StamSorc that use 2H Maul. They both have a Staff backbar, for the balanced sustain and the Major Breach.
    read, think and write.In that order.
    Options
  • Minstrel9806
    2H Brawlers are lots of fun. I have a Warden and a StamSorc that use 2H Maul. They both have a Staff backbar, for the balanced sustain and the Major Breach.

Nice! In the end i made a 2h Stamina Warden too.
    But doesn't Warden get major breach from the shalks?
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

only deep fissure morph does major/minor breach

the stam morph (subterranean assault) does not do any debuffs (the bonus on this one is the 2nd burst is on a 3 sec delay instead of 6 second delay)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sub Assault is more damage than Deep Fissure. And the minor Breach debuff can be sourced from the Frost Staff on the backbar, when your enemy stands in the Wall of Frost and you have a half decent uptime on Chill (Charged Trait! For the Warden class that's a no brainer).

That works much better better than using yet another Magicka Ability.

Added bonus is that you cast with a 12% damage bonus on the backbar from Piercing Cold and Winter's Revenge gets a 30% bonus, because its cast while wielding a Destruction Staff.

You might wanna think hard on spending points for Tri Focus or not...
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on February 8, 2024 9:18AM
    read, think and write.In that order.
    Options