Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

Another Year Without a Way for Us to Change Class

Shagreth
Shagreth
✭✭✭✭✭
And it's killing my mood for ESO almost completely. Don't get me wrong, Gold Road looks good (just like Necrom did) but I always find myself playing for a couple of months at best then quitting for the rest of the year. Why can't they just get that many of us *need* a way to change class? The idea of starting from the beginning, getting sky shards, leveling my crafting, learning plans, skill-lines.. you name it, it's just too much. And no, I can't play the game without investing in said stuff and I don't do alts, so for some of us -- changing class is the only way forward.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 27, 2024 3:18PM
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just posted this on another thread lol
    Not possible, they've essentially implied before that classes are coded so intertwined with the rest of your character, that they CAN'T do it. Its also the primary reason they don't do class change tokens.

Edit: Not saying you don't make good points, but I don't think its technically possible for them to do it at this stage in the game
    Edited by RaptorRodeoGod on January 26, 2024 9:56PM
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not possible, they've essentially implied before that classes are coded so intertwined with the rest of your character, that they CAN'T do it. Its also the primary reason they don't do class change tokens.
    Then perhaps it's time for me to finally move on from ESO as I'm having a very hard time enjoying it as it is, feeling eternally stuck on my old main. If it doesn't happen during Gold Road -- then it probably means it never will.

@ZOS_Kevin If that's true please consider giving us an update at some point.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think I’ve ever played a game with classes that had the option to change class. I feel like most MMO’s and even many single player RPG’s “expect” that you’ll create alternate characters to explore different paths and playstyles. ESO is one of the most friendly to doing everything on one character that I’ve seen, in that you’re not limited in crafting, or in skill points if you put in the time, and choosing a class does not lock you into or out of any role (although some will always be more suited than others) and the armory further facilitates switching. That said, I think it would be a great additional option in ESO if it were possible, I just don’t think it’s an unreasonable limitation.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of us felt the same way over the introduction of account-wide achievements, i.e. those who can't stick to a single character but want their multiple characters to be played as equal individuals with their progress recorded as such. Some adapted and stayed, some couldn't adapt and left.

In my own case, I completely abandoned my two original accounts and started a third one from scratch, developing the new characters in a different, more collective, way than before. It worked for me because I enjoy the rest of the game too much to want to walk away from it so I was willing to adapt (and save money in the process!), and maybe there's a way you could also adapt for example with a new account if you enjoy the game enough to want to do that. If not, then perhaps you should at least take a break as it's pretty clear that class change isn't coming any time soon if ever. Unless, of course, scribing gives you another way of approaching the issue.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most older games don't have class change.There are some that say class change,but are more role/skill changes. Trying to implement it porperly in older games is proably not going to happen,like other posts wanting crossplay,too spaghettied in the messy code.You can quickly level up new chars,since you can use CP,and takes maybe a couple hours max when doing proper grinds to get to lvl50.I made one of each class character long ago,so if I need,I jsut swap race or alliance,if I need to,and never had to yet.The cost to swap is too high for little benefit til next update which will nerf it,or better one comes along,lol.
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish, would use instantly
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think I’ve ever played a game with classes that had the option to change class. I feel like most MMO’s and even many single player RPG’s “expect” that you’ll create alternate characters to explore different paths and playstyles. ESO is one of the most friendly to doing everything on one character that I’ve seen, in that you’re not limited in crafting, or in skill points if you put in the time, and choosing a class does not lock you into or out of any role (although some will always be more suited than others) and the armory further facilitates switching. That said, I think it would be a great additional option in ESO if it were possible, I just don’t think it’s an unreasonable limitation.

Meanwhile ff14 allows you to switch from every class in the game at will. Ff11 did the same thing and those are (were) blockbuster MMORPG games. Just saying you also don't have to spend a single dollar to do it (it is completely free).

Another game that allowed you to class change (although with real money) was DCUO
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just posted this on another thread lol

Edit: Not saying you don't make good points, but I don't think its technically possible for them to do it at this stage in the game

Sadly ^ this.

I’d love class change tokens but I get it.

• Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they do introduce them I'll be back like a shot.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Class change should not happen for many reasons, and should come with heavy requirements if it is ever made: Having a level 50 of that class already, and only once per year. Otherwise players will keep chasing the meta classes and it would harm the game's diversity, due to everyone running around on the same class.

Besides that, leveling is easy and players need to invest in new characters. All the stuff you mentioned are what makes a new character come to life, and keeps players playing. This is how MMO's work as well.

PS: Your limit of only one character is a self imposed limit.
    Edited by Sarannah on January 27, 2024 7:19AM
  • Paramedicus
    Paramedicus
    ✭✭✭
    there is easy fix my boi: you can save a lot of time by buying skill lines in the crown store

l0f7ugof5rvn.jpg

but besides that, I agree with what Sarannah said

I dont think there can be any serious technical limitation

Edited by Paramedicus on January 27, 2024 9:24AM
    PC EU
    /script JumpToHouse("@Paramedicus")

↑↑↑ Feel free to visit my house if you need to use Transmute Station or Trial Dummy with buffs (look for Harrowing Reaper) ↑↑↑
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have an easy way to change class. Just go into character creator, create new character with Your class of choice and start playing it.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As noted, they've said many times that class change is not possible. It would also be a huge loss of revenue for them, considering people buy upgrades from the Crown store for new characters. They would have to charge $300 PER class change token to make up for what they would be losing in character upgrades.

So not only do I think the system probably cannot handle it thanks to the outdated game engine, but also because they have no financial incentive to make it work.

Personally, I have 16 alt characters and have paid for upgrades on all of them, so I know full well how much ZOS has made from my investment. ;)
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galeriano wrote: »
    You have an easy way to change class. Just go into character creator, create new character with Your class of choice and start playing it.
    Woah, thanks so much!
    Edited by Shagreth on January 27, 2024 11:18AM
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that we do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens at this time. There are a number of technical challenges with implementing them, and it would take a significant amount of time to solve these challenges efficiently and safely.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7804848/#Comment_7804848
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Veryamedliel
      Veryamedliel
      ✭✭✭
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »
      Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that we do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens at this time. There are a number of technical challenges with implementing them, and it would take a significant amount of time to solve these challenges efficiently and safely.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7804848/#Comment_7804848

And still people keep nagging for one and make a new thread every week. Threads like this are getting tiresome.
    • Galeriano
      Galeriano
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Shagreth wrote: »
      Galeriano wrote: »
      Woah, thanks so much!

You're welcome.
    • KS_Amt38
      KS_Amt38
      ✭✭✭
      Another year where it is impossible for people to create a new character.
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »

And still people keep nagging for one and make a new thread every week. Threads like this are getting tiresome.

What's especially tiresome always is the false comparison with FF14. People are asking for the ability to change the class in a way that is currently unavailable in ESO, whereas in FF14 there is no ability to change a class in that sense, merely to switch between classes in a way that has always been available from character creation because, unlike ESO, FF14 was designed as a multi-class game from launch.
    • Oblivion_Protocol
      Oblivion_Protocol
      ✭✭✭
      There’s no real reason for this game to have class change tokens. You want to play another class? Open the character creator, make that class, and play the game with it. That’s it. It doesn’t take that long to level to 50 and Champion levels are account wide. You can share gear and buy skill lines through the crown store. The game throws exp scrolls at you and double exp events are plentiful throughout the year.

Frankly, unless you have some roleplay requirement that limits you to only having one character, there’s no reason not to have multiple characters in this game.

Besides, the powers that be have already told us flat out that it’s not happening. So there’s that.
    • Sakiri
      Sakiri
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Skyshards are easy. You can buy them with crowns if you're too lazy to get them yourself.
    • ZOS_Icy
      ZOS_Icy
      mod
      Greetings,

With there already being a thread opened on this subject here, we're going to go ahead and close this one down.

Thank you for understanding.
      Staff Post
    This discussion has been closed.